MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

It's out! I'm downloading it now. Probably won't play it until the morning. Woo hoo!

I'll be carrying over my guy from MLB 14, that I carried over to MLB 15, but I am interested in the whole new scouting thing, so I'll probably create a closer or someone new to play with. Fingers crossed they fixed the online, so I don't have to share-play with my chums like last year.

• Like 2

I was going to give it a skip this year (not because it didn't sound good but because I played MLB 15 far less than I would have liked) but knowing the Mets will actually be boss in this game without needing to fiddle the ratings and giving us a workaround to add custom music to the game through PS4 sold me.  Especially since I only paid like $13 or so after cashing in on some Christmas gift cards I couldn't figure out what to do with.

An authentic Noah Syndergaard coming up to the Game of Thrones theme like in real life :D

I love that the batting camera goes from foul-line to foul-line now.  It's a small touch but it just looks great.

I never seem to get deep enough into franchise to warrant carrying my saves over so I'll be starting anew.  I will wait until the Operation Sports' Full Minor League rosters are out, probably will take a couple of weeks.  In the meantime I'll probably start a new RTTS since the idea of being in the minor leagues with a bunch of fake players doesn't bother me.

Also Operation Sports have already posted ZIP folders (one for each team) containing the walk-up music for just about every player in the league as well as team-specific songs, etc.  Saves a lot of hassle of manually downloading MP3s off of YouTube or something.  

• Like 2

Where would we be without Operation Sports? That's awesome.

And yeah, I'm going to be playing RTTS until their rosters come out. Having the real life minor leaguers makes franchise a billion times more fun.

My carry-over from '14/'15 is a center fielder, so I decided to go with a catcher in this one. So far I'm hitting over .400 with 13 jacks in my first two months of Double-A. I like that I've not been called up yet. I feel like in last games, if I was doing well for a month, I'd get called up to Triple-A almost immediately. It probably helps that I got drafted by the Tigers and they have three catchers in the bigs. I suppose they aren't in any rush to call up an 18-year old that could just be a flash-in-the-pan. 

• Like 1

Yeah Operation Sports does such great work.  I doubt I'll download every teams' songs but I will make sure I have all of the Mets stuff in the game and probably my division rivals' songs too because I'll play in their buildings a ton.

I think the only time I ever even made it to the big leagues in RTTS was a few years ago.  I was a closer in the minor leagues and wound up being traded to Boston and debuting with them as a middle reliever.  But it just feels like every year I wind up eventually getting sucked in to franchise and losing focus of my RTTS.  Last year I was a left fielder for Texas and got promoted to Triple A straight away.  Was tearing the cover off the ball but committing errors at every turn as I invested no points at all into fielding or speed.  I think my goal was to see if the game would naturally make me a DH but I never stuck with it long enough.

Definitely buying it (thanks Meacon!) to help justify my continued ownership of a PS4, but not for at least a week or two.  OOTP17 has me covered for a baseball game at the moment.

My biggest pet peeve in the game is facing pitchers with sloooooow pitching mechanics. They slow the game down so much. I'll try to take an early walk or a quick hit, just to get them out of the wind-up.

• Like 1

Started my RTTS as a closer since I figured that would be the quickest possible way to the majors as I wait for the OSFM rosters so I can do franchise.  Gave myself a fastball, cutter, and screwball.  Dumped the max number of points into velocity and the rest into control.  Then I get to the prospect showcase and find I'm throwing nearly 100 MPH heat with pinpoint control of the screwball.  Ended up getting drafted to Arizona in the first.

Pro:  They have an old closer who is also one of the lowest rated in the league
Con:  Once I debut I'll have to pitch in those hideous new uniforms for 6 years

• Like 1