MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I believe that I read that your max cap for stats can be raised. I can't remember how, but the idea is that you want to strategically choose what you're doing, so that you don't wind up in a position where you are so good at one thing, but can't do enough other stuff well to really succeed.

There are two types of Attribute Caps, Current and Max. Current caps are temporary attribute limits that can be raised through selecting the appropriate Focus Training choice, during one of your training sessions. Training choices that feature a teammate are the only way to raise your cap. Be sure not to neglect these opportunities, because once you reach a Current cap, you will not be able to take advantage of any gains until the cap is raised.

Eventually, you will reach an Attribute Cap, which cannot be raised. This is your Max Attribute Cap. Max Caps are the best that your player can be at a particular attribute, through training. But don’t worry, you can use equipment cards to further enhance attributes, even past their Max Caps. Speaking of equipment cards, we have added even more equipment and rituals, to provide so much more variety for your created player. We know how much fun it is to find that right piece of equipment, which balances both looks and bonuses.

The attribute caps actually don't really bother me too much. I had a career where I played every game and it took only four or five seasons to max out all my hitting abilities, which made it easy to earn points and max out my fielding abilities. 

I'll be grabbing my copy tomorrow during lunch break or something. 

2 minutes ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Is GameStop doing a Friday release across the board?  Because I might need to jump in on this with a late pre-order.

So, the gamestop website lists the standard edition as part of the First Pitch Weekend Promotion that allows you to buy/download it on Friday.  Double check with the store, you might want to show them on the website that it's listed too.  Place I pre-ordered from was trying to tell me only the MVP edition will be available Friday.  They're wrong, its all editions if you pre-ordered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Is GameStop doing a Friday release across the board?  Because I might need to jump in on this with a late pre-order.

I just went into my local GameStop and asked, and I was told it's releasing tomorrow with no pre-order necessary. I did it anyway, just to make sure I get a copy tomorrow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toe said:

Got my copy today. Probably won't have a chance to actually play until tomorrow, but I'm excited. I even got a free pair of Blue Jays socks with the game!

I am doing a Fantasy Draft Franchise to start out this year. Putting my team together now, while I wait for the OSFM Rosters to be completed. I didn't play much last year, so I'm going to use this as a way for me to find the optimal settings/difficulties before I launch into my more legitimate franchise.

The menus look nice so far. Fantasy Draft AI seems to be better too. 30 rounds into the draft, and there are still MLB caliber players on the board because the AI values potential higher than it used to, and builds teams more balanced. It used to be way too easy to just load up on A level prospects.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Meacon said:

I got drafted by the Mets. :crying:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I went with the Control Freak archetype for my pitcher because the other two options had a not so great caps for control, and I ultimately I care more about being able to accurate place my pitches than their velocity or break.

Drafted by the White Sox

I got drafted by the White Sox as well.

You know what annoys me. In Conquest, when you play a team who has taken over a stronghold (let's say the Jays take over the Yankees). The game should have the game be played at Yankee Stadium, not the Rogers Centre. 

Started out my test franchise with a Fantasy Draft Blue Jays game. I'm just playing critical moments with this one, but my roster shaped up like this:

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

VS RHP

-----

CF Kevin Pillar (Everyday)

2B Danny Espinosa (Platoon)

3B Josh Donaldson (Star)

DH Eric Thames (Everyday)

SS Didi Gregorius (Everyday)

1B Justin Smoak (Everyday)

LF Andre Ethier (Platoon)

C Russell Martin (Everyday)

RF Randal Grichuk (Platoon)

VS LHP

-----

2B Howie Kendrick (Platoon)

CF Kevin Pillar (Everyday)

3B Josh Donaldson (Star)

1B Eric Thames (Everyday)

SS Didi Gregorius (Everyday)

DH Justin Smoak (Everyday)

C Russell Martin (Everyday)

LF Melky Cabrera (Platoon)

RF Jose Bautista (Platoon)

Scratches

-----

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Depth)

SP JA Happ (Rotation)

SP Mike Leake (Rotation)

SP Tyson Ross (Rotation)

SP Marco Estrada (Depth)

SP Zack Godley (Depth)

LRP Francisco Rodriguez (Depth)

MRP Tommy Kahnle (Bullpen)

MRP Oliver Perez (Depth)

MRP Kyle Barraclough (Bullpen)

MRP JP Howell (Depth)

SU Arodys Vizcaino (Bullpen)

CP Andrew Miller (Closer)

I keep their desired roles listed next to them in my notepad. It's a definite help when it comes to making trade decisions or figure out what kind of guys I need if I am trying to improve, or during free agency, it helps me prioritize needs instead of just offering a couple of big contracts.

• Like 1

I like that even in a fantasy draft you still get a ton of Blue Jays. :lol:

I'm planning on doing a fantasy draft sometime tomorrow. I'm kind of thinking of including the legends just for a change of pace, and because this franchise is just going to hold me over until the OSFM rosters come out. 

• Like 1