MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

Me too. I had started a Jays franchise, but only played a handful of games and mostly simmed the season so I could check out the updates to the offseason. Once I get home from work, I'm going to download the rosters and start a franchise as the Oakland A's.

Maybe it's because I use to not listen to commentary much, but I feel like this "new and improved" commentary contradicts itself way too much.

I'm pitching to Ian Happ in the bottom of the ninth. I throw two pitches right on the corner, but the umpire calls them both balls. The commentary team says I shouldn't be worried about this guy, as he's not the best at the plate, which is hysterical because Ian Happ is a good hitter and he is second in the National League in the first two weeks of my season in home runs. Ok, so I fire the next pitch a 99-mph fastball right down the middle and he looks at it for a called strike, but the commentary team immediately says, "Man, you've got to have some major confidence to be piping it right down the middle against a guy with a bat as hot as his!"

I say 'fuck you, Jobu'.

• Like 1

I just had a glitch where after the World Series (The Show predicts the Dodgers over the Red Sox, by the way) I went to advance to the off-season and the Mets offered me a trade. I clicked to view the offer and it took me to the usual off-season screens of who retired and who went into the HoF, and when I backed out it froze on a screen saying "Make a Trade". Wonderbar. I hope my auto-save was working for me. 

• Sad 1

As best I can tell a lot of those glitches are based on the Phases system.  So if the World Series ends earlier than the game expects, the next offseason phase will start earlier than it is listed, and it will cause stuff to cock up.  So basically the only thing they changed about franchise also bugged it to hell.  Lovely. 

Good thing I'll probably take my time with the first season as I normally do.  I never play every game but usually I play at least one game in each ballpark I visit along with key series and home games.

I'm now trying to figure out how difficulty settings are supposed to work with 30 team control.

I have a new profile set up for the Mets on dynamic difficulty, which is always my personal preference as the game will adjust as I go along.  Usually I'll kill the computer for a game or two before the difficulty will adjust and I'll get a real challenge.  Then there's an "Other Teams" profile.  Apparently by default, they are on Beginner difficulty.  Which means that, from the CPU's standpoint, they're playing on beginner.  AKA the second I fired up Opening Day, Syndergaard gave up 5 runs in the first inning even though I was supposedly on the easiest possible level.

Sooooo I guess that means everything is reversed I need to set the Other Teams profile to Legend difficulty?  But that means the CPU will always suck even as my Dynamic sliders change.  Even if I set the CPU to a middle of the road setting, they won't ever improve or get worse.  Or I could set both to Dynamic but I feel like that's bound to mess things up big time and neither side will ever adjust in difficulty.

I may need to start over without 30 team control, meaning the couple hours I spent accurately getting DLs/40 man rosters set were a complete waste of time.

Because you can set 29 teams to autopilot while still giving yourself a hedge against some of the really perplexing things the CPU teams will do.  Like I saw Mike Trout get traded for a C-level prospect in MLB 16.  Stuff like that just kills the immersion for me.  At least with 30 team control I could jump back in and reverse out dumb stuff like that.  And I find a few years in that you end up with a backlog of A-level prospects who never get added to teams' 40 man rosters because there is no way to set up when guys should be Rule 5 draft eligible.  For example, if I didn't intervene I'm willing to bet the Braves will keep Ronald Acuna in the minor leagues for like three more years even though he's going to debut this year in real life.

OFSM walked me through setting up a new profile to get the difficulty sliders the way I want them, so now I've played a few games and am having a blast.  :D

I have done that too. There was this bug that I'm not sure has carried over where the rosters have like 10 relievers. 

It also makes it easier to switch teams when I want to instead of waiting to see what three teams offer me a GM contract. 

• Like 1

Ironically, my insistence on being accurate inadvertently conked things up a bit more for me when I set up the 25 man rosters.  A lot of teams only started the year with four starting pitchers due to early season off days.  So the Show automatically bumps a reliever into the rotation to fill the spot.  Unbeknownst to me, some of the teams then re-ordered their rotation.  And so the Padres decided to give the Opening Day start to submarining reliever Kazuhisa Makita.  6 innings of 1 run ball in his Major League debut.  :lol:

• Like 2

I'm in year 5 of my fantasy draft Franchise now. Seasons 1 through 4 were full of promise in multiple ways, but ended with a 5th place AL East finish. I am sitting just after the trade deadline right now, mid-August, and my Jays are sitting in 1st, up 4 games on the 2nd place Yankees.

I just want to get to the World Series in this Critical Moments Only Franchise... so that I can feel good about letting it go to start my real one with the OSFM rosters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meacon said:

Wait, you finished in 5th place in all of your first four seasons? :mellow:

Season 1 was a wash. The Yankees and Red Sox dominated me, but I had great records against the Rays and Baltimore.

Season 2 was going great until two of my top run producers went down with major injuries, and then everything went to shit.

Season 3 started off rough, I righted the ship by making some promotions and a trade, and then we inexplicably went on an impressive run of 3-17 that sunk everything.

Season 4 started rough, but before the all-star break I was back in contention... and then three of my starters ended up going down with injuries and my MLB rotation consisted of my 3 and 5 starter, a dynamo from my system who actually pitched quite well to a 2.50ish ERA despite a record of 1-7, and then two aging pitchers who were in my top 10 overalls for Starters at the beginning of the year, but regressed hard playing for Buffalo.

Season 5 has seen some injuries, but I've learned from the Jays of this real season and focused on depth. Josh Donaldson got injured, but Ryon Healy, Jordan Luplow and Garth Mossi picked up the slack. My ace Marcus Stroman got injured, but I went out and acquired David Paulino for a couple of prospects, of which I have tons of great ones because the first four seasons were utter garbage.

I'm also only playing critical moments. When I play my regular franchise, my teams don't always make the post-season, but I think I've only finished last place a handful of times in the dozen years I've been playing The Show.

Every time I try to tank in The Show, somehow my team ends up competing for the Wild Card - even after I trade away some of my best players. It happens almost without fail. 

I was playing with the A's and traded for Paul deJong at the deadline - and after 2 full seasons he has become the best hitting short stop in baseball. Possibly a top 5 hitter in the entire league.