MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

On 4/7/2016 at 21:13, Cactus Drags said:

I was looking forward to trying the diamond dynasty mode, but it seems way more convoluted than the ultimate team modes I'm used to. How do you use equipment cards and stadiums? What's the best way to set your lineup? I used the automatic setting but it kept putting center fielders in left field and things like that. 

It's less convoluted than Madden Ultimate Team.

I'm playing as the Phillies, and in one game the weekend my centre fielder lost the ball in the sun, and it dropped down and hit him right on the top of his head. I wasn't even mad. It was hilarious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toe said:

I'm playing as the Phillies, and in one game the weekend my centre fielder lost the ball in the sun, and it dropped down and hit him right on the top of his head. I wasn't even mad. It was hilarious.

It's pretty infuriating when that happens and your player ends up on the DL for the rest of the season though. It's super funny when it just happens and he's okay, but when he gets hurt, that sucks.

The OSFM roster thread on Operation Sports got locked due to people asking for an ETA constantly, and they've said anybody who even asks for an ETA at this point will be perma-banned.  I've been chomping at the bit to start franchise as much as anybody but I'm not sure why people can't understand that it takes a few weeks to get this stuff done.  It's either wait or play in a franchise in which the league will eventually be littered with fake players with ridiculous names.  Easy choice.

Started a second RTTS to pass the time, as a 1B.  Got drafted by the Brewers, got injured for 2 months in the second game of the year, yet still got called up in late July as an 18-year old because the Brewers literally had no 1B on their Major League roster and were playing an outfielder out of position there.  Blimey they are terrible.

41 minutes ago, Buscha Syndergaard said:

The OSFM roster thread on Operation Sports got locked due to people asking for an ETA constantly, and they've said anybody who even asks for an ETA at this point will be perma-banned.  I've been chomping at the bit to start franchise as much as anybody but I'm not sure why people can't understand that it takes a few weeks to get this stuff done.  It's either wait or play in a franchise in which the league will eventually be littered with fake players with ridiculous names.  Easy choice.

I only popped in every so often, but it annoyed me to no-end to see people going, "THE GAME CAME OUT TWO DAYS LATER LAST YEAR AND YET THE ROSTERS WERE AVAILABLE ON SO AND SO AND NOW THAT DATE HAS PASSED! WHY HAVENT WE GOTTEN DUR ROSTERS?!"

It'd be nice if there was a way to prevent those people from ever getting the rosters.

• Like 1

Can't wait to start my franchise tonight officially.  I downloaded the rosters last night but only had time to create my franchise file and set up injuries.  There's a nifty guide on OS with all of the real life pre-Opening Day injuries so I used that and also gave guys like Chapman and Reyes injuries to try to simulate their suspensions.

One nitpicky point that I noticed straight away that bothers me a bit is that the new morale system ensures that two of my big three starting pitchers are always going to be unhappy because they all want to be the Ace which is simply who is listed as the #1 guy in the rotation screen, even though a lot of teams now have stockpiled multiple frontline pitchers.  Fortunately though the hit to the rating for being unhappy isn't a big one.

I am still playing on 15 but I didn't want to bump the old thread. I finally finished the first season of my franchise I started on 14. I actually played all 162 games myself. I am a wildcard team so I have to play a game against the Diamondbacks now. I am so freaking scared you guys. 162 games and it could all end with this one game! I got Strasburg going for me and he won the Cy Young and NL MVP so I think I could be good :P 

• Like 3

I give you huge credit for that.  I'm not sure I'd ever have the patience to play all 162 as I'm always eager to get to the next year.  I tried doing all 162 using quick counts and still couldn't get through it.

I normally wind up settling into playing the first five games of the year in full (so I can get a game in with each pitcher) and then from there I just play one per series and sim the rest, unless it's a huge late-season series or something.  And I play all of the playoff games, too.

3 hours ago, Buscha Syndergaard said:

Can't wait to start my franchise tonight officially.  I downloaded the rosters last night but only had time to create my franchise file and set up injuries.  There's a nifty guide on OS with all of the real life pre-Opening Day injuries so I used that and also gave guys like Chapman and Reyes injuries to try to simulate their suspensions.

One nitpicky point that I noticed straight away that bothers me a bit is that the new morale system ensures that two of my big three starting pitchers are always going to be unhappy because they all want to be the Ace which is simply who is listed as the #1 guy in the rotation screen, even though a lot of teams now have stockpiled multiple frontline pitchers.  Fortunately though the hit to the rating for being unhappy isn't a big one.

While I think it's going to be a bit frustrating to have a 90 overall guy say he expects to be the ace when you have a 99 and a 95 in front of him. I sort of don't mind it though since if a guy is ranked 90 overall, you'd think he thinks he's good enough and wants to start as much as possible. I think the fact that your team should theoretically be good should balance it out as they should be quite pleased with the team's record.

I'm more worried about if my ace goes on the 15 day DL and comes back. If I need to slot him in the four spot in the rotation because of when he returns, he's going to complain that he's not the ace of the team. That would be a bit frustrating. 

• Like 1

Having to keep your Ace in the number one position on the rotation, without the ability to tell the computer that you're skipping someone's turn to get a better matchup in an upcoming series is really annoying. I wish there was a way to do that without adjusting the placement of the starters in the rotation... though, I guess that's a good way to get your other "Aces" their time in at the number one spot, even if it's just temporary.

Now that the rosters are out, I need to pick a team. I prefer playing as one of the teams that's rebuilding, so I've narrowed my options down to Atlanta, Minnesota, Oakland, Cincinnati, and Miami. I'd also pick Milwaukee, but for some reason I dislike their stadium.

Who should I choose? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buscha Syndergaard said:

Minnesota were over .500 last year so I'm not sure they'd classify as a "rebuild" but playing out Buxton and Sano's careers I'd imagine would be a lot of fun.

Yeah, they had a good season, but their roster is not very appealing. And I like turning those horrible rosters around. Buxton and Sano would be fun to use.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Now that the rosters are out, I need to pick a team. I prefer playing as one of the teams that's rebuilding, so I've narrowed my options down to Atlanta, Minnesota, Oakland, Cincinnati, and Miami. I'd also pick Milwaukee, but for some reason I dislike their stadium.

Who should I choose? 

I am also trying to pick a team and I have that exact same issue!

But I think I may try to get past it.