MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

You hit by swinging at everything, regardless of where the ball is headed right?  That's how I do it :shifty:

I did finally remember that O is for a contact swing, that has helped a little.

I am not totally sure, someone will surely have a better explanation, but so far using it I get shorter hits that go over the head of the defense, but not much further, bloop singles and all that.  I think its circle for those, square for big fly/home runs and X will potentially get you either of those and everything in between.

A contact swing sacrifices power to give you more plate vision - allowing you to make contact with pitches along the edges. It simulates "shortening your swing" - fighting off close pitches when you have 2 strikes to prevent a strike out. If you want to get really deep into a count, it's almost a necessity. 

The way I see it is you use Square when you're going for at least a sac-fly, if not a home run. It seems to be boom-or-bust for me. Square tends to put the ball in the air too much for a gapper. When you use the X, it is just a player's normal swing. You aren't swinging for the fences, nor are you trying to place the ball anywhere. You're just hitting it to the best of your ability based on the location of the pitch.  And the circle is when you're just having your guy attempting to make any kind of contact at all. It comes in handy if you're doing a hit-and-run. You won't necessarily get the juicy part of the bat on the ball; you're much more likely to get some sort of contact. 

On 5/3/2016 at 16:30, Buscha Syndergaard said:

Hitting square is definitely boom-or-bust from what I've seen.  I've hit nearly all of my home runs just from the standard X swing.

This.  Power hit is when you want to knock one out of the park, but you sacrifice the "sweet spot" in the strike zone so you have to hit it nearly perfectly to do anything but fly out.  Contact swing is the opposite, minimize power and maximize the amount of the strike zone you can hit in.  Basically with a contact swing you're just trying to get the bat to touch the ball somehow, whether it be putting the ball in play or fouling it away.  Regular swing is in between the two.

I'm playing as the Braves. In free agency, I was able to outbid the Nationals and signed Strasburg to a mammoth deal that I almost instantly regretted. Still, in year one of the deal, Strasburg is a beast. Through two starts, I've already recorded 27 strikeout and only one run each start.

You think signing Strasburg to a big deal is a mistake. I gave a 32-year old Arrieta a 7-year, $210 million dollar deal, because I'm the Yankees and desperate for pitching (and stupid with money). The first two seasons he was as dominating as ever, but he's becoming quite mediocre now in his third year. Gulp. 

22 hours ago, Meacon¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

You think signing Strasburg to a big deal is a mistake. I gave a 32-year old Arrieta a 7-year, $210 million dollar deal, because I'm the Yankees and desperate for pitching (and stupid with money). The first two seasons he was as dominating as ever, but he's becoming quite mediocre now in his third year. Gulp. 

The one thing that makes those deals more palatable is that trading those huge contracts doesn't seem impossible in the game. 

My team lost five in a row. I made some changes, turning prospects into Mookie Betts and Jose Iglesias. I did ridiculously well in my first draft, so my system was flush with A potential guys.

What's the longest home run you've hit in the game? Last night, I sent one 440 feet to dead centre in Camden with Miguel Sano. Usually, my home runs are line drives pulled down the foul line, so they only go 370-380 feet.

In game or in home run derby? I hit one 512 in home run derby on last year's Show. Longest one I've hit in home run derby on this years is 498.

In game, in this year's it was like 460-ish? It was with my RTTS guy who has 99 power against lefties and righties (carry over from like two Shows ago).

I hit one against the Brewers that bounced off the center fielder's head and glitched through the outfield wall to give me a home run. The wall is 400 feet out, and it said my home run went 399. The game knew what happened.

• Like 1