MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I've hit some awesome home runs in the game. One was a line drive shot, probably less then 2 or 3 seconds to leave the ball park. Just a straight trajectory off of Sano's bat and right to the right field foul pole.

I've been traded twice now, and just hit Triple-A in my fourth year as a closer. I haven't been moved away from my natural position since my first season, and I dominated at the Double-A level. I'm just hoping that I manage to make it to the majors sooner than later, so that I have a bit more say in my career's path. Once I am capable of free agency, I'll be able to help guide my own trajectory. For right now, it seems like I just keep getting shuffled around to different minor league teams who need a closer at around my Overall level.

EDIT: The second trade was hard to swallow, because my Double-A team was dominant in my last year in the league, we won the first half and the second half, but I got traded away two weeks before the playoffs began, to a team that was sitting dead last. So, I have yet to play any playoff baseball.

Edited by Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the call to the majors by Baltimore, only to get optioned back down to AAA and removed from the 40 Man when a couple of guys returned from injury. So, naturally, in the off season, I signed with the worst club in the majors to ensure myself some playing time at the MLB level, and I'm now closing for the Tampa Bay Rays on a one year deal. I'm kinda hoping to parlay that into a decent season and some more significant offers.

I would like them to work on, for next year, situational grading in Road to the Show.

So, I signed with the worst team in the league, hoping that more playing time in relevant situations (closing) would help grow my player... but because the team is so bad, I've got ground ball situations and I'm pitching to contact, but my second baseman takes forever to make the play and I lose training points.

Advice: sign with good teams and be fine playing longer in the minors. You may be good enough yourself, but if your team can't play to your level, you're going to wind up having a very hard time earning training points to advance your player's skill sets. It's so brutal knowing that you're doing everything right (short of just striking everyone out) and blowing saves because not only can your second baseman not turn a double play... but because he takes so long fielding the ball and making a decision, that he can't even throw out the guy at first.

In the further misadventures of my RTTS Closing Pitcher, I was demoted to AA in the off-season when my team signed a reliever that needed to be on the 40 man roster, or else be put on waivers. That's fine and everything, except I've now run into a position where both of my AA catchers can't catch. I'm throwing fastballs right down the middle, and they fumble about 25% of them. I'm getting frustrated that there isn't an option for me to just throw my teammates under the bus.

I'd love to be able to go to my coaches and tell them that I can't perform up to my potential because they aren't giving me the proper support. As it stands, I basically just complain to my agent every time he checks in now. He always tells me the same thing though: keep your head down and work hard and opportunities will come. You're young.

Murderers Row earning their nickname.

• Like 2

Really loving how much variety there is in this game. The servers are shit, but if they are shit, you can just go play RTTS or a Franchise or whatever. Loving Diamond Dynasty, a mode I never dived into in previous years but the OCD in me loves the missions (and the variety of missions).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

As a genuine question from someone with only a passing interest in baseball, why don't pitchers wear head protection? I'd be terrified of something like the clip above happening.

Batting helmets are heavy and will mess with pitching motions. Also, macho culture.

Edited by Jasonmufc

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

As a genuine question from someone with only a passing interest in baseball, why don't pitchers wear head protection? I'd be terrified of something like the clip above happening.

When I played Little League, we always had the option of wearing a batting helmet, and I did decide to wear one for about five games one year after getting cracked in the noggin by a line drive... but I found it cumbersome, it really fucked with my delivery, and it just didn't feel right. I'd almost rather just wear a lucha mask with extra padding inside.

It's one of those things where, if everyone started doing it from the time they start playing, once they reached the majors, it wouldn't be an issue to keep it on... but forcing pitchers to wear something new on their head like a helmet, is more or less going to force guys to re-learn how to pitch, because the mechanics of each pitch will be affected differently by the added weight, and the change in weight distribution throughout their body.

Realistically, it's not something that is super common. I played six years before an injury forced me to miss an entire season and call it quits, but I was only ever hit by one line drive, and I pitched as often as I was allowed to by our league rules. By the end of year three, if I wasn't pitching, I was catching, because only a few of us at that age could really grasp the art of pitching. I figure, I got hit by more follow-throughs from batters who couldn't control their bat as a catcher, than by line drives or return hits as a pitcher.