MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

Was it still slow and glitchy and nearly unplayable?

It was fine.

The fielding is the biggest issue. We both had our centre fielders drop or miss a ball. The worst is the catchers. They often run over the short bunt for hits resulting in the player getting to first quite easily.

This is not online - but I've had moments where the fielder's momentum has carried them past the ball, and others where I anticipate it... just for them to stop on a dime and let the ball roll by. It happens just enough to annoy me, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game. 

That's so wild. The only issues I've had with fielding in the last couple versions is that sometimes a routine ground ball to shortstop is beat out by the most average base runner. I usually just knock the base runner speed down from 50 to 40/45 and that fixes it though. 

This whole over running the ball and whatever the hell is happening to Maxx is something I've not experienced. 

There will be times where you would expect the catch animation to kick in, but for whatever reason, the fielder just keeps running turning a routine out into a double or triple. 

• Like 1

I started a new game, this time as the Texas Rangers. For some reason, the Marlins were perfectly happy to give me Wei-Yin Chen AND Justin Bour for Matt Moore's terrible contract. I've now got Bour as my DH, Gallo at first, Beltre at third, and Wei-Yin Chen adds some much needed depth to the rotation.

• 1 month later...

My brother and I are playing a Franchise. 

He's pitching well, except for two solo shots to Aaron Judge. He comes up a third time and my brother plunks him. Next batter grounds into a double play. Judge tears his ACL sliding into second. For fucks sake!

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in 2019, early season game against the Cubs.  Decided to just do a full game on manager mode.

Brandon McCarthy who I'd signed to a cheap 1-year deal to be my 5th starter going up against Drew Smily.  McCarthy pitches 6 innings of 1-run ball, his only blemish being a solo shot to Willson Contreras.  But in typical Met fashion, they're getting shut out by Smily.

8th inning, Carl Edwards comes in.  Manage to load the bases with him.  With a righty now in the game, I sub out Wilmer Flores for Justin Bour who I acquired from the Marlins in 2018.  Bour pays dividends with an opposite field double down the line, driving in 3 and giving me a 3-1 lead.

Bring in my big offseason acquisition Andrew Miller.  I'm not keen on giving out multi-year deals to older players, but at 33 he's still a 97 rating and so landing him for 2 years plus a mutual option seemed like a good bargain.  He'd also looked outstanding in his first few Met appearances.

Immediately K's Bryant on a wipeout slider.  Great start.  But then lefties Schwarber and Rizzo both manage to get base hits against the nearly unhittable lefty.  Willson Contreras up, and he hits a no doubt 3 run blast into the left field stands to give the Cubs a 4-3 lead.

My Mets give me enough agita in real life.  I don't need virtual Mets tormenting me too.  :(  Wish I could say what happened next, but I turned the game off before the ball even landed, and took it out of my PS4 and put it back in the case.  Probably gonna take a prolonged break.  This game brings out the worst in me sometimes.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first year in my actual franchise (after the OSFM rosters came out), I managed to win the World Series with a Jays team that was largely similar to the one that shit the bed in real life this year. My only major addition was getting Alex Gordon from the Royals when it became apparent that Granderson wasn't going to come out of his two month slump. I was shocked too, because I managed to score Gordon for Granderson and a D rated prospect with like 52 overall.

Of course, Gordon shit the bed in the next season and wound up being demoted, opening a spot for Teoscar Hernandez, and I re-signed Grandy in the off-season to give my outfield some depth. He hit .380 in spring training before getting injured, for what is likely going to be the whole season.

• Like 1

Do you have to press anything to tag anyone on base when they're trying to steal? 

I play as second baseman on my RTTS and for whatever reason, as soon as I receive the ball from the pitcher I press R1 as in my mind, it makes the tag quicker. 

Have I literally just made this up? Or is it a thing?