MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

32 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Do you have assisted fielding or something turned on? I don't think I've had that many issues in the decade or so that I've been playing this game. I have the occasional hiccup, but it's usually something I did or just the fact that I have a bad fielder at that position (which happens often as I usually put together teams that are severely lacking in defense). 

I feel like I play a ton of games in the first season.  At least one game in each road series so I can see every stadium, plus most of my division rival games and every game in the playoffs.

Then the second season I’ll play Opening Day, the home opener (if not Opening Day), and then only super important games, clinching games, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in a change from the Dome, I'm looking for some rules.

I'm going to be playing a game as the Orioles, with the rosters from after the Machado trade. I was going to start with Machado, but I know I'll get a better deal done than the Orioles did in real life, so I'll play with the hand they've dealt me. 

I intend to turn this into a Cube diary, so I'm looking for some rules/objectives to accomplish.

So far I have:

1. Stick to a strict budget. I'm not sure what that is yet, but I don't want to go over a particular amount for salaries. 

2. One trade per month, except July when I'll be allowed to trade any player with no controllable years left. 

3. Always keep a 90-man roster, but don't need to always have a full 40-man roster.

So yeah, give me some more ideas, rules, or objectives I should set for myself with entertainment being the primary goal. 

I don't know much about baseball (except there are a lot of games in a season)... but that video that Maxx posted seems like a cool game mode. The older games... are they newbie friendly? Would I ever end up finishing a season with their 100+ games?

26 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I don't know much about baseball (except there are a lot of games in a season)... but that video that Maxx posted seems like a cool game mode. The older games... are they newbie friendly? Would I ever end up finishing a season with their 100+ games?

I know that the career mode has had different options for years now to make games zip by and only focus on plays that your player has any control over.

A pitcher would play whole innings, but a right fielder would get action when the ball is dinged towards your direction.

For fielding and batting you can get through a season pretty quickly, especially on the ps4 titles that load quicker than ever.

A closing pitcher would have your season fly, really.

Also the franchise mode also allows you to sim every game of a season if you only want to be a gm. I also know people who only plays the first/last game of a series, or only home/away games.

Of course you can always go play 100+ games, but you'll probably lose your mind 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Welp. Just ordered it. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake!

Even when the changes to the game aren't massive, I still feel like my $80 is worth what I get. I try to play a game in my franchise of The Show at least once per day. When I wake up in the morning, if I'm not feeling like ass, I make my coffee, go out for my smoke, and then sit down to play some baseball. I get quite the mileage out of these games.

As a franchise guy, I'm definitely wanting to pick up the new one for in-season contract extensions. I love the idea of not being surprised in the off-season by outrageous contract demands from guys I was hoping to keep, but who aren't really irreplaceable. I also tend to not do much around the trade deadline, because I'm not really sure what kind of room I have going forward. I do the vast majority of my trades and roster adjustments in the off-season because of how the finances are all laid out. So in-season extensions should be a great help in better gauging where I have money to spend on guys with term, and what guys are going to be wanting more than I want to give them, effectively helping me to create a bigger list of people I'm willing to move.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm excited by the prospect of the road to the show.

What positions are the most fun/not overly complex to play?

I played around with a couple of positions, but I honestly find myself having the most fun as a pitcher in RTTS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I played around with a couple of positions, but I honestly find myself having the most fun as a pitcher in RTTS.

I was thinking of pitching since it would be one of the most interactive. 

4 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

3B.

What makes that one fun?

I was also thinking of shortstop, and I have no real idea why. 

7 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I like catcher, because I always wanted to be one but the damn mask always messed up my peripherals!

I made the move to the hockey style mask as soon as they let me. I was used to it already, found it more comfortable, and it helped improve my field of vision behind the plate. I'll still wear my goalie mask if I'm playing baseball/softball at any point.

3 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I made the move to the hockey style mask as soon as they let me. I was used to it already, found it more comfortable, and it helped improve my field of vision behind the plate. I'll still wear my goalie mask if I'm playing baseball/softball at any point.

Yeah, see they tried me at catcher when I was...eight or nine? And it was before I had contacts. By the time I was fourteen and wearing contacts, I'd already been designated strictly as a third baseman. 

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I've always enjoyed playing as 1B in RTTS. You're usually in the thick of the action without being completely overwhelmed. I played as a RF for a while and the fielding was just dull.

I tried to start as a 1B, like three weeks in the A's were like 'Oh, we really need RFs, can you switch?' and I was like 'yeah, sure, whatever', have a great season in AA as a DH, start off in AAA as a DH, then those fuckers traded me to the Nat's! I'm already the best RF by OVR in the organization, but down in AAA, so...