6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I also assisted @thatshortguy in getting it.  And would be happy to similarly assist others.

Good! I had thought about asking about him, since I knew money was tight for him since he's attempting to buy a house.

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I have a couple of the older versions of this from a couple of Humble Bundles, but I never got round to playing them. I'm not very knowledgeable about baseball beyond the basics, so would this game just go way over my head?

I don't think so. It depends on if you're willing to learn. I think @The EVIL Overlord went into it with little to no knowledge of the game and he ended up winning the World Series with Arizona (as seen in the Cube). Obviously having knowledge going in will be helpful, but it's definitely something you can learn while you play.

• Like 2

I plan on making him my starting center fielder, regardless.  Deion Sanders is a perfectly acceptable starter with above average steals in 1992.  I assume Bo Jackson is pretty fantastic in the 80s, he was not so great in 1992.  Go back far enough and you can find Kurt Russell and Macho Man as well.

I really started diving into the customization options when fooling around with a game set up last night.  From now on I'm setting all my games up to pull international free agents and prospects from a ton of different countries, rather than the default 5 or 6.  I'm opening the door for North Korean baseball players!

• Like 2

The Braves are so...so very tough to make anything out of in this game.  Two years in and provided Swanson actually develops, I'll have five people from the Braves' miles-deep farm system actually make it to four stars overall.

Trading AI is hilarious this year.  Leaving it to default isn't bad, but going to either extreme swings it wildly.  Traded a no-name half-star prospect for Kris Bryant straight up on very easy.  Very hard had a team decline my "take Swanson for the amount of his contract" offer to Pittsburgh.  Amazing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EddieG said:

Haven't played since '14, just not been able to afford an upgrade.

How big are the changes in those 3 years?

Full MLB and MLBPA licenses now.  And a ridiculous historic roster that dates back to the early 1900.

I'm still on OOTP '16, probably not going to upgrade anytime soon as I've got a bunch going on.  But I very much enjoy OOTP.  I had done a game where I went all the way back to 1871 and just started from the very beginning and re-wrote the history books, simming one year at a time.  Cy Young and Babe Ruth both suffered career ending injuries early on.  Ended up calling the Best Pitcher award the "Jim Britt Award" instead because he played from 1871 as a teenager right through the turn of the century.

I wonder if I were to start a new 1871 game and set it to sim to go all the way through 2016 while I'm at work if it would be finished by the time I got home.  I feel like it'd be bound to crash, but it would be so cool to just pick up a game and start playing in a brand new 2016.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I have a couple of the older versions of this from a couple of Humble Bundles, but I never got round to playing them. I'm not very knowledgeable about baseball beyond the basics, so would this game just go way over my head?

Have you ever played a manager game like Football manager? Because it's very much a super-stat heavy spreadsheet simulator. Even heavier with the stats than FM in a lot of respects.

But you're also able to delegate stuff like day-to-day lineups to your coaches and only focus on the roster-building aspect of the game, looking for trades and drafts and simply being a general manager who shuffles the pieces and out for the coaches to work with.

Also the game has star ratings like in FM and other games, which at a glance can tell you who is good and bad (although this can still vary wildly from player to player, depending on their actual skills).

I'd say use one of the older OOTP's first and see whether you can get through a full season and what you feel about it. Seasons can go by very fast or very slow, again depending on how much you delegate and micro-manage yourself.

• Like 1

Yeah, I originally got the game to help me learn about baseball. It worked pretty well. We were World Motherfucking Champions. Did I mention how the Diamondbacks were World Motherfucking Champions? If not, you can read all about it here: 

• Like 3