AC/DC: Brian Johnson out, Axl Rose hired as temporary replacement

Hellraiser

According to several sources such as Forbes.com, Rolling Stone and Billboard.com it's official: After 36 years and 10 studio albums Brian Johnson left AC/DC. An Era is coming to an end. According to these websites he made the decision to quit to avoid permanent hearing loss. After Malcom Young leaving the band due to dementia and Phil Rudd being kicked out due to his recent legal troubles Johnson is the third long-term member of the band to exit the band in the last two years leaving only Angus Young (who has founded the band with his brother) and Cliff Williams (who is with the band since 1977). Alongside them AC/DC is currently made-up of Steve Young, nephew of Malcolm and Angus who helped them out during the "Blow Up Your Video" World Tour in 1988, and Chris Slade, who recorded the album "The Razor's Edge" with the band and played the subsequent tour.

We don't know if they're looking to carry on after this tour (rumors suggest that they're rehearsing with potential long-term replacements but nothing has been made official yet), they've found a replacement for the remaining dates of the "Rock Or Bust" tour. And it's no other than Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose! This is actually happening!

Source: RollingStone.com

What are the odds that he's out of the band before they even play a show? :P I doubt they're going to take kindly to one of Axl's fits where he storms off stage or whatever. Can't see this lasting very long.

• Like 1

It's sad what has happened in recent times to the members of AC/DC (well, not sad in the case of Rudd but you know what I mean) so i really think they should just pack it up. Axl Rose? He is atrocious, and I would hate to see him fronting AC/DC.

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

What are the odds that he's out of the band before they even play a show? :P I doubt they're going to take kindly to one of Axl's fits where he storms off stage or whatever. Can't see this lasting very long.

It's probably a blessing in disguise that he's stuck in the Dave Grohl throne at the moment because he broke his foot.

There are reports that Rose wasn't the only one who auditioned for AC/DC. There is a Report from the singer of a Dallas-based AC/DC Cover band called "Back In Black" who played with them in a private rehearsal room in Atlanta in the week of March 14th. They only planned to perform 3-4 songs but ended up playing the entire "Rock Or Bust" tour set and 2 extra songs "Riff Raff" and "Dog Eat Dog". So it seems like they played with the thought of getting a completely new singer for the tour. Or maybe these auditions were held to find a new full-time singer once Axl leaves to do the GnR tour. Who knows.

There are certain bands that its hard/impossible to listen to without their longtime singers. I like to pretend that Judas Priest doesn't exist without Rob Halford, that Iron Maiden doesn't exist without Bruce Dickenson or that guy that was their original lead singer, and it'll be hard/impossible to listen to ACDC without Brian or Bon on vocals. (I flat out refuse to even acknowledge Journey without Steve Perry, either. But they're not metal.....)

Brian Johnson has published a statement of his own about the situation:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.  I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.

I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.  I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work.  I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years. Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC.  My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

Source: Metalsucks.net

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...