Music that is awful

Rich

On 6/29/2016 at 04:36, VerbalRick said:

Bad Company, Kansas, Boston, Styx...all of that 70s rock horse shit that isn't awesome but crappy. 

OH AND FUCK JOURNEY. 

Did your parents force this shit down your throat as a kid? I didn't really develop my own taste in music until I was 13/14 so up until that point all I ever listened to was "classic rock radio". I have a certain disdain for it now because none if it is "classic". Classic, to me, means that it defined a generation or changed how music was thought of and things like that. There's nothing "classic" about 6 fucking Boston songs that all sound the same. They're not "classic" just because they're old, but that's apparently the only metric. "Is this song or band 20+ years old? CLASSIC." 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Did your parents force this shit down your throat as a kid? I didn't really develop my own taste in music until I was 13/14 so up until that point all I ever listened to was "classic rock radio". I have a certain disdain for it now because none if it is "classic". Classic, to me, means that it defined a generation or changed how music was thought of and things like that. There's nothing "classic" about 6 fucking Boston songs that all sound the same. They're not "classic" just because they're old, but that's apparently the only metric. "Is this song or band 20+ years old? CLASSIC." 

They really didn't, my parents have those cds and listened to then. But they didn't force it down my throat, it was a pretty eclectic mix in my house as my dad was big into prog rock, glam rock (though I don't think he realized it, but seriously he has Sparks, T. Rex, and Bowie at the house), where as my mom listened to basically every 80s band that personified the 80s (Soft Cell, Human League, Culture Club, etc. etc.). My parents taste in music is actually pretty good for the most. 

But yeah, my biggest thing is like you say "20+ year old, CLASSIC!" Fuck that. The bands I mentioned are so unremarkable, and arguably pretty cringe worthy to listen to. I think part of it is that it gets such heavy airplay on the classic rock stations, so I'd hear it at work often. This is also a problem with the radio, they play the same shit over and over again. Then again, that is why I rarely listen to the radio. In fact, only at work do I have to hear it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

I was force fed Motown, Soul, 60s Rock n Roll and the occasional reggae. And I still love it! But not The Beatles. I only like the early stuff before they went all hippy. Fucking hippies.

That's all awesome though. 

We did some Motown in my house also, anybody from Detroit that doesn't atleast appreciate Motown at some level is a fucking communist nazi fascist racist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VerbalRick said:

That's all awesome though. 

We did some Motown in my house also, anybody from Detroit that doesn't atleast appreciate Motown at some level is a fucking communist nazi fascist racist.

I was also indoctrinated into Bryan Adams >_>

• 1 month later...

I really, really fucking hate that Aaron Lewis "Country Boy" song. It's every stupid, shitty trope about country music, all stuffed into one grating, nauseatingly bad attempt at the genre, and it kind of pisses me off that George Jones and Charlie Daniels are associated with it. It's got this vomit-tastic "crossover appeal" attempt going for it (Aaron Lewis said he smokes WEED in this country song boy wow he sure is DIFFERENT from all these other guys), he mentions the trucks he owns (did you know he owns a tractor well he owns a tractor I bet you didn't know that but he does), a reference to the Gadsen flag (I'm honestly REAL fuckin surprised there's no confederate flag reference), patriotic jingoism bullshit, anti-government sentiment, his love of his guns, a hatred for anyone "trying to change America", and references to both Hank and Hank Junior.

It's like he was dared to see how fucking hard he could pander to an audience and then recorded it. It's the most garbage ass song I've heard in the past 5 or 6 years, and the past 5-6 years have had Rebecca Black, that Lou Reed/Metallica album, and a fucking song about how much the songwriter loves Chinese food. There's been a lot of really fuckin bad music but somehow "Country Boy" beats it all. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

Godsmack is fucking trash.

I went to high school with a guy who was a huge Godsmack fan. Had stickers of them on his backpack, drew their logo in his notebook, all that shit. Even as a 14 year old with questionable taste I was like "this band? for real? that's the band you wanna latch onto?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

Those fucking twee ukulele or acoustic covers of 80's songs wind me right up

♫ I wish I was a New York hipster leading an artist's life, that's why I got this sleeve tattoo and beard, but I work for a third-rate ad agency in Hackney. ♫

EDIT:

16 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Let's just go ahead and throw that new Lorde single in this thread.

I prefer the minimalism of the first album, but it's all right actually for something quintessentially Radio 1.

• Like 1

Someone earlier posted Scouse rap, I'd like to one up with an introduction to Blackpool grime: (Explicit content warning)

This is Little T. He's a 12 year old who sometimes raps about raping people's little sisters.

This is Soph Aspin, the so-called 'Queen of Grime'. She's 15 and can't seem to stop rapping about people's mothers.

And this is Millie B, who I'm sure is just a lovely person.

It's a perfectly inoffensive pop song. Like, yeah, I'll agree that a lot of the Pure Heroine singles are better, but "Greenlight" is far from being awful. It's not this:

Listen and despair, @thatshortguy! DESPAIR! It's every shitty country trope jammed into a shitty song by a guy pandering hard as fuck. Christ, I can't hate this song anymore. It wouldn't bother me if it seemed genuine at all, but it's a really poorly disguised cash-in on the popularity of country music. Think of any modern country music trope, and you can check it off in this song. Gadsen flag? Love of guns? Love of trucks? You better fucking believe it. And a cameo by a musician considered a country legend!