apsham

If you would have told me a couple of years back that someone was going to make a new Wolfenstein game and it was going to be one of the best games of the year - I would've told you that you were absolutely insane. Well now there's a new Doom out and by god - even if it's made by different people, it's still published by Bethesda and I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm going to grab it after work today purely because I still play Doom to this day and this looks a hell of a lot better than Doom 3. I'll be picking it up at EB so I can do my return juuuust in case but with a lengthy single player I'm pretty pumped to get into it.

• Like 3

Same, as much as I want it based on Wolfenstein - I can't justify another full price game when presumably it'll be fairly short. I mean I only grabbed Uncharted because I had £25 of credit to use up. Look forward to hearing if it is awesome though!

Happy to see lots of positive reviews for this, I was a little worried when I heard about Bethesda not releasing any advanced review copies. Shame it had to be released the same week as Uncharted, but I'll probably pick it up from EB next month.

37 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Happy to see lots of positive reviews for this, I was a little worried when I heard about Bethesda not releasing any advanced review copies. Shame it had to be released the same week as Uncharted, but I'll probably pick it up from EB next month.

Their reasoning is sound. The reviewers, the proper ones will need to experience the full thing once multiplayer servers are switched on. I'm behind them 100% on this - and any reviews you see out today/tomorrow and people who rushed to get the hits for being the first ones out there.

Oh and if you buy physical, do yourself a favour and flip the insert.

uKOg7sv.jpg

• Like 5

Let me just tell you something.

You put in this game and while you're sitting on the menu all you hear is pounding rock riffs that get louder and louder, telling you to stop doing whatever you're doing and just fucking play this game. So you start it up, you choose your difficulty and you find yourself chained to a table. Fuck this - you rip those chains off, cave in the skull of the demon that was coming for you and you find a gun on the floor. Blast the others in the room with you and get out of there. You look for a run button but fuck that, you don't need a run button you're already moving fast as hell.

Next room, boom -there's your suit and you get a flash forward of the carnage in front of you. Next hallway you kill a few more bastards and then you find a god damn shotgun on a fallen marine. You take that and before you see any enemies you shoot it and you get that feeling that you got when you first played the original Doom. You go into the next room and you find the new Imps. And you fight those bastards.. they're jumping all around the room and they're throwing fireballs at you and you're just ripping their jaws off as soon as you can catch up to them (your best way of getting health back on the fly) and you're just blasting away because fuck reloading your gun, who has time for that? You move into the next room after all that and there's an elevator but first there's a little hologram. Oh great, story... but wait - the Doom novels were actually pretty awesome and this sounds like stuff from that and it barely lasted 5 seconds. Get in that elevator.

DOOM flashes across the screen, the riffs pick back up and just as you see the surface the music cuts out with you cocking your shotgun - and if your preferred method of opening doors is finding the blue keycard, you're about to have some fun.

• Like 5

Multiplayer feels absolutely fantastic now.  Some weapons still need to be balanced, but this is meant to be breakneck speed.  If you cock up, you just hit the respawn button and get back at it.  Have yet to touch the campaign, but even with strictly multiplayer, I do not regret plunking down $35 for this one.

On 15/05/2016 at 08:11, thatshortguy said:

Multiplayer feels absolutely fantastic now.  Some weapons still need to be balanced, but this is meant to be breakneck speed.  If you cock up, you just hit the respawn button and get back at it.  Have yet to touch the campaign, but even with strictly multiplayer, I do not regret plunking down $35 for this one.

That was probably going to be my biggest selling point for this. Doom's speed and brutal feel would make it pretty unique in a sea of pretty similar MP FPS games. Hopefully it becomes one of those games that randomly drops to £20 for a week or two a few weeks after release and I can plonk down the cash for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...