2016 College Football Thread

Maxx

Since the 2015 edition is locked and you die-hards are all apparently too lazy to start a new one...

Let's begin with Baylor firing Art Briles, because yeah maybe rampant sexual assaults are a bad thing.

Do they have enough clout to land another good coach, or will they begin a slide back to irrelevance?

• Like 1

In 1997-relevant news Ken Starr has had to step down as University President as well.

I think Baylor has the money now to bring in a big name, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a bridge-the-gap coach coming in. Briles deserved to go, great coach but you can't really reconcile that with all the sexual assaults that were going on with his players.

I'm not quite sure if a "big get" coach is going to want to step into whatever that mess is right now. I think they'll slide down to mediocrity. I don't think they'll end up being as terrible as they were prior to Briles, but I doubt they're going after playoff spots consistently anymore.

I'm sure they won't even be postseason eligible for a few years.  I'd guess that the NCAA will use the Penn State case as a precedent in terms of the type of sanctions that get handed down.

Of course, PSU's sanctions clearly weren't of any concern to Baylor when they decided to cover up sexual assault.  And I'm sure within the next few seasons we'll get another horrifying scandal involving another football program.  Until the NCAA gives one of these schools the death penalty to make an example of them (and we know they won't), it's going to keep happening.

I don't see any way they don't slide down. A team like Baylor, in a place like Waco, doesn't become a power team like they did without relaxing the rules they used to have. Yes, a good coach, especially one who can recruit, can mitigate that, as can money, but this isn't Oregon, where Phil Knight decided he was tired of them being mediocre, or Stanford, who, at the very least, has a history of being competitive, even dominant, in every sport besides football. It's not even Ole Miss, who can chant SEC to help get fans in (although, make no mistake, if anything comes of that, they'll slide too...I just doubt much will).

If they get hit with sanctions, or don't get exactly the right coach, I think we'll find that Baylor is more SMU than USC.

17 hours ago, DMN said:

They're just nostalgic for the old Southwest Conference. 

.. yeah I guess acting all SWC-ey in they 20th anniversary of the death of the conference is a way to get noticed, or something.  Should have just gone the route of paying players and getting guys arrested no campus for driving their cars while high as a kite.

17 minutes ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

.. yeah I guess acting all SWC-ey in they 20th anniversary of the death of the conference is a way to get noticed, or something.  Should have just gone the route of paying players and getting guys arrested no campus for driving their cars while high as a kite.

Baylor's new money, can't expect them to respect tradition.

I make light of the situation, but it is concerning just how little is done in situations like this, or Penn State. Ole Miss will probably get hit worse for recruiting violations, mostly because that actually falls under the purview of the NCAA, than Baylor will for a university spanning sexual assault issue. Just look at the situation with USC, where they could never prove what the coaching staff did, or didn't, know, and how hard they get hit, and fuck all will likely happen here.

2 minutes ago, DMN said:

Baylor's new money, can't expect them to respect tradition.

I make light of the situation, but it is concerning just how little is done in situations like this, or Penn State. Ole Miss will probably get hit worse for recruiting violations, mostly because that actually falls under the purview of the NCAA, than Baylor will for a university spanning sexual assault issue. Just look at the situation with USC, where they could never prove what the coaching staff did, or didn't, know, and how hard they get hit, and fuck all will likely happen here.

well that's exactly why ...

... and I do make light of it only because people continue to be shocked at what's going on.  This shit, and worse has ALWAYS been going on.  Hell half the stuff from the 80's would make people blush, let alone half the stuff from the 50's/60's. 

18 minutes ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

well that's exactly why ...

... and I do make light of it only because people continue to be shocked at what's going on.  This shit, and worse has ALWAYS been going on.  Hell half the stuff from the 80's would make people blush, let alone half the stuff from the 50's/60's. 

Yeah. My point is more that people need to stop bitching about the NCAA, and start complaining about the legitimate authorities that allow this shit to continue. I'm not sure exactly who that would be for Baylor, as I believe it's a private school, but there should be a state organization that could have done something more substantive with Penn State. We all know the reasons why (money, alumni highly placed in politics, money), but it's inexcusable at this point.

I could give a fuck about schools offering money and perks to players in recruiting, a level playing field in college athletics is a pipe dream, but since the turn of the century Baylor's athletic programs have tried to cover up a murder and been involved in what is clearly a far reaching culture of sexual violence on campus (make no mistake, this is not a football only issue), and that is simply unacceptable.

32 minutes ago, DMN said:

Yeah. My point is more that people need to stop bitching about the NCAA, and start complaining about the legitimate authorities that allow this shit to continue. I'm not sure exactly who that would be for Baylor, as I believe it's a private school, but there should be a state organization that could have done something more substantive with Penn State. We all know the reasons why (money, alumni highly placed in politics, money), but it's inexcusable at this point.

I could give a fuck about schools offering money and perks to players in recruiting, a level playing field in college athletics is a pipe dream, but since the turn of the century Baylor's athletic programs have tried to cover up a murder and been involved in what is clearly a far reaching culture of sexual violence on campus (make no mistake, this is not a football only issue), and that is simply unacceptable.

1 - While the NCAA has certainly EARNED it's fair share of shit slinging ab them, there are things they are bound by or have no jurisdiction in.  I mean I guess they COULD do SOMETHING since Baylor is an NCAA member ... but with this being an actual legal/criminal issue I don't blame them for not treading the waters.  Very muddy issue and really just spotlights the big picture issue with the organizations like the NCAA.

2 - There is something in the water in Waco ... just saying.  The shit isn't limited to Baylor there. 

The violence/sexual issues are endemic to the college scene period.  If I were BIG GOV I'd tell the NCAA and colleges to figure it out or funding/programs/grants/etc would dry up yesterday. 

Reports said last night that Baylor also fired Colin Shillinglaw (Director of Football Operations) and "longtime athletics staffer Tom Hill". They were both fired last week, but anonymous sources told USA Today about the firings. 

Shillinglaw was described by the person as someone who worked closely with Briles attending to player matters behind the scenes and had been linked to the accusations in the Pepper Hamilton report that led to the removal of Briles, the resignation of athletics director Ian McCaw and reassignment of president Ken Starr.

Hill had no formal responsibility within the football program, the person said, but had been at Baylor for 15 years in a variety of roles and was unofficially very involved with the football program.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/05/31/baylor-sexual-assault-scandal-football-staffers-fired/85217296/

On Jim Grobe.  I think that's about as good as you can do if you're Baylor or are in this situation .. or, if you're Baylor in this situation. 

Grobe is an absolute character guy.  He's also a good football coach.  He was the one that started Ohio (the green/white Bobcats variety) turnaround in the late 1990s before going to WF and actually winning football games.  He has literally HALF of WF's bowel appearances and wins.  The year they won the ACC they out VT'd VT 9-6 in the title game (and VT was a 10 win team that year).  The only other coach to win as much/better than Grobe at WF coached one season more than he did, and it was from 1937-1950. 

He's beyond capable and is the EXACT face that program needs right now.

If they're smart, they'll have him go through this year ... and then they'll find a way to keep him on as they hire Mike Singletary going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1678045-sources-bu-regents-reconsider-briles

There are those among the Baylor leadership who feel the major failings of the BU rape scandal fall on former president Ken Starr for the school not having a Title IX coordinator from 2011-2014, sources said. If BU had a Title IX coordinator, the football coaching staff would have had training on how to handle any complaints of rape made against football players, sources said.

Those members of the BU leadership who say Briles should have been spared while Starr should have been the fall guy for the scandal are getting a lot of pressure from big-money donors who say they'll stop giving to the university if Briles isn't brought back as coach in 2017, sources said.

OK...if they vote to bring him back they need the death penalty immediately.