2016 College Football Thread

Maxx

I've been pleasantly surprised by Arkansas State during the latter half of this year. Started out rocky with 4 losses in a row, bounced back in October and even beat #25 Troy pretty soundly this week. 6-0 in the Sun Belt, 6-4 overall. Of course, since they aren't the Razorbacks and they aren't SEC they'll never get any recognition, but hey.

Charlie Strong is done at Texas. So that's LSU and Texas open, very likely Oregon will be by season's end, and who knows what the domino effect will be. All I've read is Texas (and Baylor but they don't have a chance) want to give Tom Herman all the moneys. He's building a good thing at Houston, but I'd be hard-pressed to turn down the Texas job with everything they might offer.

Strong didn't get a fair shake there though, losing to Kansas is catastrophic, but we're forgetting how Mack Brown hung around 2-3 years too long and lost a ton of the recruiting edge in the state. Strong also wasn't the top choice back in 2014 when he was hired, I know they had delusions of getting Saban but if I recall they also called around to some other guys. The Big 12 as a conference doesn't have the same luster either. Less eyes are on it and it just feels like with A&M in the SEC that that's the top dog in the state now.

Also, a nightmarish 4-7 season for Notre Dame, that will probably end at 4-8 after the trip to USC next Saturday. I assume Brian Kelly emerges unscathed, but he's got to now have the shortest leash of all the big school coaches.

Before Saturday, I was fairly certain Kelly would be back next year. But we blew a 17-point lead and are now pretty much guaranteed a 4-8 season. I don't think he's as safe as people assume anymore. 

If Kelly does come back, I hope he gives Charlie Strong all of the monies to be D-Coordinator though.

The coach after Mack never had a chance at Texas.  They're even further behind where aTm was in catching up to things.  Sumlin would be gone already but he's managed to produce better than expected.  He was just supposed to be the introduction to change but messed up and won some things.  Strong opened the door at Texas and got eyes back on them.  

I feel Michigan would be more likely to lose in the college playoff and not in the national championship than ohio state. I'm trying to think 2 moves ahead lol last thing I wanna see is another Ohio State National Championship..one with Bama yuck

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I love LSU's decision to keep Oregeron. He's the ultimate player's coach. Everybody he coaches absolutely adores him. They'll be fine.

No. They'll be all set for whoever takes over once they eventually fire him in a couple of years. Orgeron is a great recruiter, but a mediocre head coach. As a Tennessee fan, I also think he's a lying piece of shit. When Kiffin left Tennessee, Orgeron lied to a bunch of the players and tried to get them to go to USC.