2016 College Football Thread

Maxx

Crazy to think that Lane Kiffin is getting passed over for jobs, having talks fall apart. He's done so much damage to his reputation in just a few short years. I'm really intrigued if the FAU chatter works out, I could assume them not demanding as big a buyout as Houston probably was.

I would LOVE Strong at USF. Perfect scenario, he can coach them at a level where a big conference will come calling soon enough. You would think at some point cooler heads prevail and the Big 12 adds a Florida school (UCF or USF). Might as well keep up with what Taggart built and have the Bulls in the national talk.

And Luke Fickell is your new Cincinnati coach. That's a hire which could go either way.

Also, before I forget. The 97 Heisman was Peyton's to lose at the start of that year, and he didn't blow the world away his final year whereas Ryan Leaf kinda did. There's an argument that if Ryan Leaf didn't have the year he had then Peyton probably wins the Heisman, but since Leaf was in many discussions the better QB he cost Peyton the votes he would have gotten to put him over Woodson.

I like Fickell to Cincy. I was hoping he'd come coach the defense at Notre Dame. What better way to prove your worth than taking an atrocious defense and making them into something decent? I can't fault the guy for getting his own program though. It'll be interesting to see how he takes a traditionally offensive minded program and build a defense.

Manziel over Te'o

8 minutes ago, damshow said:

Also, who are everyone's least deserving Heisman winners? I tend to think Eric Crouch beating both Grossman and Harrington was bad. Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald was also pretty bad. Mark Ingram beating Toby Gerhart, by the slimmest of margins, bothered me as well.

Also I think Suh should have been higher than fourth or fifth, whatever it was the year Ingram won it. And yeah, Gerhart deserves it more too.

Oh oh! And I respect what Eddie George did, but for my money, Tommy Frazier is one of the greatest college football players ever. But that's not an answer to your question, since George deserved it. I just think Frazier deserved it more. Like Te'o over Manziel. :shifty:

• Like 1

My earliest memory of college football was going to a game at West Point.

Finally went again last year, they got dismantled by Duke but it didn't matter.  Army games are more about the gameday experience than anything else.  Getting there stupidly early to tailgate, walking a couple of miles to and from the stadium, watching the paratroopers come in before the game, downing a few beers during halftime because you can't bring them into the actual stadium.  Michie Stadium is gorgeous.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY !!!!!! YUUUUUUUUUSSSS but of course they finally go bowling, and are going to play in TX .... 3 months after I PCS from there <_<

Another significant moment in that game is that it is the last College Football Broadcast for TLU BULLDOG VERNE LUNDQUIST .... very emotional moment for me as after Keith Jackson, Verne was the voice of CFB for my generation.  

16 hours ago, HailtotheSickle said:

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY !!!!!! YUUUUUUUUUSSSS but of course they finally go bowling, and are going to play in TX .... 3 months after I PCS from there <_<

Another significant moment in that game is that it is the last College Football Broadcast for TLU BULLDOG VERNE LUNDQUIST .... very emotional moment for me as after Keith Jackson, Verne was the voice of CFB for my generation.  

Saying goodbye to Verne is hard. I think of him, Keith Jackson, and to a slightly lesser degree Musburger (not recent Musburger though) as the voices of college football. Brad Nessler is a very good pbp man so him stepping into the CBS booth is good. Less of a personality than Verne, but I guess nobody has quite the personality of Verne.

Lamar deserved the Heisman. He had an incredible start to the season and did things we'll hardly ever see again.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm going to miss the Saturday shout outs to the Bulldogs down at TLU!  But seriously though, outside of Jackson he's been the most significant, meaningful, and BEST voice for CFB.  I agree about Nessler and think in time he'll be wonderful.  We're just at the point that we're losing all of the guys that truly were a part of that "day gone by" of the sport.  

Verne has so many of the greatest calls. "Sickest man in America", "Laettner puts it up, YES!", and of course the immortal "Maybe..... YES SIR!" as Jack sank the putt at the '86 Masters.

One thing with modern pbp guys is there's almost a forced "trying to create the line" moment with everything they do. They don't ever come about organically, but maybe that has to do with how big of a production live sports are now.

• Like 2

^ agree ... the production today doesn't lend to the guys in the booth doing their thing.  All of the greats were products of THEIR PERSONALITIES .. which are trumped or dampened by how things are today.  I genuinely feel Herbstreit could be 100 times what he is if this was the 60's-80's or even into the early 90's.  It isn't set up for the guys today, to be the presenter, the narrator, or to bring the sport across to the viewer and it's a shame.  It literally was one of the absolute greatest things about watching sports on TV because it made it just that much bigger.

"By GEORGE the dream is alive"

"Oh, bless his heart. He’s got to be the sickest man in America"

"This bizarre real-life movie continues"

I miss Keith Jackson a lot, and I'm going to miss Verne almost as much.

Hell....and only Vols fans will get this....I still miss John Ward, who used to call Vols games on the radio, and retired after they won the championship back in 1998. I can't listen to their games on the radio anymore, because its just not the same. 

I won't miss Brent Musburger at all whenever he hangs it up. I grew up with him doing NFL games on CBS before he switched to doing college games, and he was much better as a pro announcer. 

Edited by GhostMachine