WWE 2K17

Hellraiser

Christ, I love the new menus and they're one of the bullet points that I've read in most reviews as being a huge positive. They're quick, snappy and easy to get through. I don't exactly know how a menu comes off as cheap.

Sad that music gets blocked on recording. Took me ten minutes to make an attire/music swap of Big Boss Man coming out in Steve Austin's attire complete with glass shattering turning into Hard Times. :(

Alright - spent the evening with the game and here are my thoughts.

- Straight off the bat - commentary is horrid. Probably the worst that it has ever been for one reason or another - clearly it wasn't a huge focus this year. I can still see why - in different sports games there isn't the level of customization that the WWE games push, if you spend time recording lines about Wrestler A and the player changes their alignment or gimmick then it just looks bad - so generic lines being 80% I can almost deal with, if they made sense in their placement. So many times the wrong finisher was called (or a finisher was called during a standard move, and it wasn't even the finisher) or lines were called out for no reason. I love the new promo system (more on that later) but when a brawl broke out in one of them, the commentators started talking about it like it was a drawn out match. Same thing for a post match beatdown - they could've really just turned it off for that. I'll just continue zoning out and watching/listening to something else during matches most likely.

- Presentation details are great - from spotlights following the wrestlers when they leave the ring and move up the ramp to the new camera angles when you get to the different sides of the ring. Backstage is really nice too - a loading screen to move back there but everything is loaded when you do including a split screen view when you get too far. Not to mention Universe mode having show openings now and the menu system that I really like - it's simple, fast and it doesn't rely on outdated stale images - instead you get the actual models from the game. This is the same for the pictures for the select a wrestler - which is nice because you don't have a mix of real pictures, models from CAWs and models from DLC people.

- Creation suite is fucking amazing this year. From instantly being able to move attires over to other people, to being able to mix music as much as you want or need to - and I've really just touched the surface.

- I can go back to button mashing for submissions! Yay!

- The fatigue system that kicks someone out of the ring when they take too much damage in a triple threat match is amazing. Had a great Charlotte/Bayley/Sasha match where, as Bayley, I took a thrashing and had almost no chance of winning. Sasha got Charlotte out of the ring and I was able to recover enough for a Bayley-To-Belly and a win.

23 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I've read that Universe Mode is quite good this year, but Career Mode is the same repetitive grind as it was before. Can anyone confirm or deny this, based on what they've played so far?

Also interested in this, because Career Mode is what's going to determine if I get this or not.

ALSO: Is that Downtown song available as an entrance theme? If so, that'd be awesome. I'm not even joking.

Only been in career a little bit - it's improved in certain ways. You can entirely skip NXT if you do good enough in the tutorial - for instance one reviewer skipped NXT and was put 5th place in the ranks for the US title. I haven't played enough to see how old it gets, I've read that the first little bit is a slog until the Paul Heyman storyline opens up and you can decide to become a Heyman guy or go after Brock.

On the plus side VC isn't as bad as it was years prior - since there's no Showcase mode you unlock stuff with VC so you can unlock who and what you want in league with improving your MyCareer wrestler with VC. But now you also get VC for everything you participate in - exhibition matches, matches/promos in Universe mode, etc.

From the looks of it you get VC from online matches too. Dunno if that carries over and can be used to unlock stuff or what.

Played for a whole load of hours last night and it's the most fun I've had with one of these in a long time. Lots of small changes, but all positive!

The addition of promos in universe is lovely (as is the fact that it loads stuff really quickly when editing). Also music and full choice of graphics for created shows! A fuck load of 'generic' ones too which look awesome.

Literally only complaint l have is the commentary, but that seems like it's never going to be fixed.

The announcers are screwed up half the time. I just beat Charlotte in Universe, as Sasha Banks, retaining the Women's Championship.

Lilian Garcia: Here is your winner and new WWE Women's Champion...

No, wrong. I retained.

Jerry Lawler; We have a new number one contender!

No, wrong! I just retained my championship! Nothing has changed!

While the game runs a lot better than last year, it's actually impressive that they managed to make the commentary and announcing a fair bit worse, considering it was already terrible in 2K16...

13 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

The last one I played was 2K15 and it had the same sort of mistakes. I think 2K16 did as well.

Yeah, but it wasn't so consistent in its screw-ups! The exact same calls that I mentioned in my last post happened in the literal next match I played!