Sky Bet EFL 2016/17

Lineker

2 minutes ago, DFF said:

Why is it?

Because it's a reward for pot luck that could mean the difference between going through and going out. Personally, I hope my team gets knocked out in the group stages because I don't want us to even be involved in it, especially as we were against the proposal, but just talking about it as a sporting competition, you shouldn't be getting points for winning a penalty shoot-out. Even the US dropped that when they realised it was stupid in the MLS some 15 years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Because it's a reward for pot luck that could mean the difference between going through and going out. Personally, I hope my team gets knocked out in the group stages because I don't want us to even be involved in it, especially as we were against the proposal, but just talking about it as a sporting competition, you shouldn't be getting points for winning a penalty shoot-out. Even the US dropped that when they realised it was stupid in the MLS some 15 years ago.

As nerve wracking as they are, penalties are hardly pot luck.

Just now, DFF said:

As nerve wracking as they are, penalties are hardly pot luck.

They are a lottery. You will not win a penalty shoot-out by being the superior team, you'll win it through a combination of players holding their nerve and luck. Either way, it shouldn't be something to determine points in a league table.

Anyway, this discussion probably belongs in the new thread made for the EFL Trophy instead of here.

We (Sheff U) are in the midst of a massive clear out/overhaul (probably needed after how the last few years have gone). As such, we've signed a number of players this summer so far, and I was wondering if anyone here could help shed some light on what they are like? I used to be pretty good at keeping up with other teams, but my enthusiasm for footy has waned in recent years. I'm looking to get back into it this season.

So far, we have signed:

Mark Duffy, from Birmingham
Chris Hussey, from Bury
James Wilson, from Oldham
John Fleck, from Coventry
Jack O'Connell, from Brentford
Jake Wright, from Oxford Utd.

27 minutes ago, DFF said:

We (Sheff U) are in the midst of a massive clear out/overhaul (probably needed after how the last few years have gone). As such, we've signed a number of players this summer so far, and I was wondering if anyone here could help shed some light on what they are like? I used to be pretty good at keeping up with other teams, but my enthusiasm for footy has waned in recent years. I'm looking to get back into it this season.

So far, we have signed:

Chris Hussey, from Bury

Mark Duffy, unplayable on his day but his day is not often. Funnily enough it always seems to be against us, but when he was in our side it pretty much never happened. Quick, weaving winger with an urge to get into the box, but he fluffs his lines a lot.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Mark Duffy, unplayable on his day but his day is not often. Funnily enough it always seems to be against us, but when he was in our side it pretty much never happened. Quick, weaving winger with an urge to get into the box, but he fluffs his lines a lot.

Thanks. I know he was voted to the PFA Team of the Year for League 1 for his stint with Burton last year, but little much more than that.

I remember John Fleck being touted as a future star when he was at Rangers, but he didn't quite develop into the player they hoped he would, partly because off his off-pitch attitude. However, he was Coventry's player of the season last year, so he's certainly capable of putting in a good shift in League One.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 08:34, DFF said:

So far, we have signed:

Chris Hussey, from Bury

Left back who started his career as a left winger and sometimes it shows. Not the best defensively at heading or marking but going forward, one of the best in his position below the Championship. Excellent crosser of the ball and likes overlapping the winger with positive runs. One of the best dead ball takers on his day below the Championship as well.

There is your Chris Hussay report, from young Spee.

• Like 2

Fresh from the news that the Premier League have agreed a £30 cap on away tickets, Sheffield Wednesday are charging £42 to Villa fans for their game coming up. Well that's one ground I won't be taking in this season.

• Like 1

Wednesday got rid of their stripes too, they look like shitty Ipswich now.

Went and saw Newcastle beat Bohemians 6-0 yesterday. Now I'm optimistic with life in the Championship after seeing what the team is like after a pre-season under Rafa!

Wasn't it Wednesday who were wanting to charge in excess of £50 for some home games?

On 17/07/2016 at 10:17, TCO said:

Wednesday got rid of their stripes too, they look like shitty Ipswich now.

Went and saw Newcastle beat Bohemians 6-0 yesterday. Now I'm optimistic with life in the Championship after seeing what the team is like after a pre-season under Rafa!

The U21's actually beat someone too! 5-1 vs Darlington

The first and third goals are amazingly pub league in quality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

The U21's actually beat someone too! 5-1 vs Darlington

The first and third goals are amazingly pub league in quality.

You weren't lying! :lol:

I don't see the point in still having Haris Vuckic around. Lad is nearly 24 and still hasn't broken into the first team.

• Like 1