Sky Bet EFL 2016/17

Lineker

On 17/07/2016 at 16:47, Adam said:

Wait until you've had a real test, against the mighty Rovers on Wednesday (H)

Following on from this, Newcastle were dreadful tonight. They came from 2-0 down to draw late on but that was through one lucky strike at a corner that never should've gone, and a late deflection when we had 10 men and 4 youth teamers on the field. We also had two players stretchered off due to bad tackles from Newcastle players so all in all, a pretty annoying night.

But yeah...I might revise my 'Newcastle and Villa are going to walk this league' prediction.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

But yeah...I might revise my 'Newcastle and Villa are going to walk this league' prediction.

Isn't there a high percentage of teams that get relegated from the Prem that don't bounce back up the following season? I think there was an article a few years back about it in which it suggested out of something like 87 teams that were relegated from the Prem, less than a quarter of them got promoted back into the Prem the following season and over a two season period it only increased to just over a third. 

I think Newcastle should be near the top end of the table and are probably best equipped to get promoted right back up. I'm unsure about Villa as that team last season was one of the worst Prem teams I've seen and it's going to take a hell of a rebuilding job to turn that mess around. 

4 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

Isn't there a high percentage of teams that get relegated from the Prem that don't bounce back up the following season? I think there was an article a few years back about it in which it suggested out of something like 87 teams that were relegated from the Prem, less than a quarter of them got promoted back into the Prem the following season and over a two season period it only increased to just over a third. 

I think Newcastle should be near the top end of the table and are probably best equipped to get promoted right back up. I'm unsure about Villa as that team last season was one of the worst Prem teams I've seen and it's going to take a hell of a rebuilding job to turn that mess around. 

There are yeah, I have mainly based it on the amount of money both teams seem to have to spend on players, outrageous amounts compared to most second tier teams.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

There are yeah, I have mainly based it on the amount of money both teams seem to have to spend on players, outrageous amounts compared to most second tier teams.

The fact the Prem TV deals are as much as they are now, surely parachute payments will have gone up drastically as well. If you were Newcastle or Villa you need to try to get promoted this season. 

Championship is a bloody tough league, they could easily end up staying in the division for several years if they don't get promoted. 

43 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

The fact the Prem TV deals are as much as they are now, surely parachute payments will have gone up drastically as well. If you were Newcastle or Villa you need to try to get promoted this season. 

Championship is a bloody tough league, they could easily end up staying in the division for several years if they don't get promoted. 

The parachute payments are ludicrously high and were before the new TV deal. I just see no reason for either of them to not go straight back up with all that money behind them. Newcastle have already backed it up by splurging on the likes of Gayle and Ritchie.

Last time we went down at around this point in preseason we played a 6-1 loss to Leyton Orient. Not saying we'll walk the league but I'm not putting a lot of stock in pre season results.

• Like 1

You shouldn't really take notice of pre season anyway. Voronin looked like the best player in the world every preseason for us and was bloody shite. 

57 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Pre-season results being good is good, obviously, but it shouldn't base too much of your opinions for the season ahead.

As we've all learnt from Football Manager

• Like 2

Newcastle should piss the league. The squad is better than the rest of the league by a longshot. The spending big thing is a bit of a myth too, seeing as after Gini leaves there's a net profit left over.

With Sissoko going for big money too, it's been pretty frugal and good business.

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Newcastle should piss the league. The squad is better than the rest of the league by a longshot. The spending big thing is a bit of a myth too, seeing as after Gini leaves there's a net profit left over.

With Sissoko going for big money too, it's been pretty frugal and good business.

You're spending big regardless of who leaves. My point is that there are extremely few teams capable of signing away £10-15 million players from Premier League clubs, or anyone. You're gonna be coming up against teams with forward lines that cost about a tenth of yours a lot of the time.

On 20 July 2016 at 23:26, Adam said:

Following on from this, Newcastle were dreadful tonight. They came from 2-0 down to draw late on but that was through one lucky strike at a corner that never should've gone, and a late deflection when we had 10 men and 4 youth teamers on the field. We also had two players stretchered off due to bad tackles from Newcastle players so all in all, a pretty annoying night.

Villa were never going to walk the league. Seems as though we'll retain the majority of last year's squad, with the potential of losing the better players still. Given how poorly they performed last season, it's unlikely that they'd dominate any league.

17 hours ago, Gazz said:

Money ain't everything and spending is no guarantee of success.

This is completely true. We saw it with Leicester in such a big way and, further down the pyramid, with Burton and Accrington to some extent to. I don't think it is a guarantee, it's just my opinion that Newcastle will go straight back up and, depending what Villa do with their squad, they'll come top 2-4 as well.