UEFA Champions League 2016/17

DFF

Dundalk did quite well, are only trailing 1-0 from the first leg at BATE Borisov. Upset possibly?

Dundalk are through to the Playoff Round of the Champions League. Which secures them at least €6mil and Europa League group stage at a minimum.

Fantastic news for Irish football and I'll get to see European football as they have to play their games in Dublin due to their stadium not being up to scratch!

• Like 7

I wasn't home all day yesterday and only saw that. It's fantastic! Although a shame that they're not able to play at Oriel Park. Although Stephen Kenny having a go at Louth County Council off the back of that is great too. The gist being Kenny said that there should be facilities in Dundalk to be able to host a Champions League game but the Council don't seem that interested in investing anything towards the football club - he cited that when they won the FAI Cup they refused to fund the construction of a stage in the Market Square in the town - despite the fact it would've attracted loads of people.

Especially not during the time of year when the GAA most uses it.

I saw something earlier about Stephen Kenny wanting Dundalk to play at the Aviva. Although I think Tallaght Stadium is probably fine. It's an Airtricity League ground. I feel like that has to be an advantage of sorts.

Either way it'd be an hour away from where Dundalk normally play.

I think it comes down to who they draw. If they get Celtic, there's no way that's not at the Aviva.

Oriel Park is a shithole though and hopefully this cash injection means they can have a stadium that does them justice. Or you know an actual grass pitch to start with.

11 hours ago, Lineker said:

Well done Celtic for overcoming the mighty Astana!

With two penalties, one in injury time. I really hope they don't make the group stage. Drawing Dundalk and losing would be spectacular.

How do we pronounce Dundalk anyway?

3 hours ago, Adam said:

With two penalties, one in injury time. I really hope they don't make the group stage.

That matters....why?

9 hours ago, Executive Kaney said:

That matters....why?

Because it shouldn't take two penalties, one from a daft tackle in injury time, to knock out the Kazakh champions :P.

I should lay off really, I've had my fill of Celtic's European failure in recent seasons. Also, stuff Rangers...I always want Motherwell to win the SPFL :shifty:

The kazakh champs aren't any worse or lesser a team than the Scottish champs. Celtic are a terrible team, I'm very happy they progressed cos they're the same level as all these other wee diddy teams from Kazakhstan or Norway or whatever.

No team in the world would refuse a penalty in the last minute if it meant winning, regardless of opposition.

• Like 3