UEFA Europa League 2016/17

Lineker

Just now, TMM said:

For his one good moment every 10 matches?

You'd rather your striker playing up front than forced into midfield. Zlatan hasn't scored in ten, shall we pair him up with Wayne deep mid?

Bring back Louis Van Gaal?! Mind you the football tonight was just like what he produced. Still early on and I have faith Mourinho will turn it around somehow, the reality is the squad has just been assembled so willy nilly that it doesn't really work. 

16 minutes ago, MDK said:

You'd rather your striker playing up front than forced into midfield. Zlatan hasn't scored in ten, shall we pair him up with Wayne deep mid?

Zlatan and Rooney as defensive midfielders. Two wingers as full backs. Midfielder Blind as a centre back. Smalling and De Gea up front. Rashford in goal.

Total Football.

Just now, Gazz said:

Zlatan and Rooney as defensive midfielders. Two wingers as full backs. Midfielder Blind as a centre back. Smalling and De Gea up front. Rashford in goal.

Total Football.

Erik Nevland in net

23 minutes ago, Sam said:

Bring back Louis Van Gaal?! Mind you the football tonight was just like what he produced. Still early on and I have faith Mourinho will turn it around somehow, the reality is the squad has just been assembled so willy nilly that it doesn't really work. 

Yeah, that excuse doesn't fly with the world's most expensively assembled squad.

3 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Yeah, that excuse doesn't fly with the world's most expensively assembled squad.

It's only the world's most expensive squad because we vastly overpay on everyone and then massively undersell.

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

I'd be interested to see how the CIES Football Observatory arrived at those figures, especially considering the transfer spend on United's squad doesn't even reach £600 million (its £550 million or 617 million Euros) even when factoring in the clauses in Martial's transfer (an additional £7 million+ each for scoring 20 goals in a season, 25 caps for France, Ballon D'or before 2019).

It's still an absurd amount of money to have spent and to get the returns that we're seeing, but it's not the most expensive in history. Real Madrid's is, at around the 638 million Euro mark - unless things like transfermarkt and wikipedia are inaccurate. 

I don't think last night was down to "Rooney played so we were shit", to be honest. It was a performance I expected really and one that has been typical of us away in Europe in recent years. We had the players to hurt them but once again refused to play with any kind of pace or intent for large parts of the match and it cost us. At this point, a League 2 team could put 11 behind the ball and make it difficult for us.

When my mate talked about taking the positives from the Burnley game, it's why I refused to do so because it isn't like we're creating 30+ on a weekly basis. It was very much a one off and we failed to score. 

Plus side is that Zorya and Feyenoord drew so we should still be ok. Quietly confident about the home tie against Feyenoord but don't fancy us to get anything away from home at  moment so that could cost us in a group that we were expected to walk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'd be interested to see how the CIES Football Observatory arrived at those figures, especially considering the transfer spend on United's squad doesn't even reach £600 million (its £550 million or 617 million Euros) even when factoring in the clauses in Martial's transfer (an additional £7 million+ each for scoring 20 goals in a season, 25 caps for France, Ballon D'or before 2019).

It's still an absurd amount of money to have spent and to get the returns that we're seeing, but it's not the most expensive in history. Real Madrid's is, at around the 638 million Euro mark - unless things like transfermarkt and wikipedia are inaccurate. 

Transfermarkt is wildly inaccurate. It's helpful to gauge a rough value of players, but it's never been accurate.

6 hours ago, Whisper said:

It's also a pointless argument. You could spend £100m on 17 different players. It would still take time for them to gel and to indicate the best 11.

But you didn't. You bought 4 players, one of which hasn't even been playing, which should mean minimal bedding in time, especially when you're talking about someone like Zlatan.

• 3 weeks later...