Lars relives the Super Nintendo

Monkey D. Lars

Lars relives the Glory Days!

Bsnes_logo_(Super_Famicom_derivative).sv

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (1996)

Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg

Ranking of the Finished Games:
1. Mega Man X (1993)
etc.

Because, I'm kinda bored and still really need to replay/play some classic SNES games, which is by far my favorite console, I've decided to do this again!
Three times works like a charm right?
I"ll post about the games, along with some screenshots, if I don't forget to make them. 
I will also rank the games I've finished. Suggestions are always welcome. 
You can also play along if you like?

So, let's have fun!

Mega Man X (1993)

Mega Man X, the game I could never beat as a 8 year old. Should I be ashamed? Or was it kinda difficult? 
I'm about to find out as I try to get every upgrade, beat every Maverick and DESTROY STIGMA!!!
What I can remember is that I really loved the Mavericks, especially Chill Penguin. He was always my favorite.
And usually the first one to be gone. Love that Leg Upgrade! But hey! Let's get started!

Title Screen.png

Like always you start off with a Start Screen. The only way for me to go was GAME START and Mega Man fires.
The first stage was the Highway Stage which I really like. It shows you that Mega Man can wall jump now and charge his weapon.
You come across the Purple Badass named: Vile.
He drives around in a mech and utterly destroyed me.

End Stage 1.png

But I was saved by Zero. Badass Zero. 
He told me I had not yet reached my full potential. No shit Sherlock.
After my encounter with Zero, the game brought me to the Stage Select Screen.

Select Screen 01.png

First up: Chill Penguin!
I always liked this stage and boss. It looks awesome, love the soundtrack and we get our first upgrade! LEGSZZSS!

LEG UPGRADE.png

Now, we can slide and jump further. I also went up the higher platform near the end by jumping out of the mech.
To no avail, I could not yet reach the heart tank! And to make things worse, I did not imagine the battle against Chill Penguin to go like this:

ELTRICFYING.png

After beating Chill Penguin it was up to me to kill SPARK MANDRILL. Totally forgot to defeat that Falcon on the plane first.
It would've made this stage much easier. Man I died a lot. Looked kinda like Dark Souls.
But when I finally got through the first part and the mini-Boss, it was like a breeze. Found my first Heart Tank
and destroyed Mandrill with the Ice Shotgun.

END STAGE 2.png

Now it was time for the last stage of the day, me against Armored Armadillo. And I think I got his weakness down with Electric Spark!
Armadillo's stage is awesome. You can ride minecarts, chase a digger, get a Sub-Tank and Heart Tank (Which I both got!)

HEART TANK 01.png

Not a real hard stage but quite memorable and one I have to revisit later on when I got every upgrade! Why? IT'S A SECRET!!!
But hey, about that Armadillo guy, FUCKING DESTROYED HIM.
First I shot off his armor with Electric Spark! And after that I just murdered him.

Armadillo.png

So the guy above here, is not as badass as he looks!

To be continued!!

Mega Man X (1993)014.png

PS. 

I know where you're going with Armored Armadillo and I would have been severely dissapoint if you didn't.

Fantastic opener.

Also, Super Double Dragon and Final Fantasy 6 or bust.

• Like 1

I can't remember if it was Super Double Dragon or something else, but I would borrow this game as a kid from my aunt's boyfriend, and it had a "versus" mode. I'd plug in a second controller and pick one of the knife-wielding enemies, then I'd knock the knife out of his hand - and since he was technically "Player 2" - he'd just stand there. Then I'd pick the knife up and repeatedly throw it at the guy until he started bleeding. It was one of, if not the, first incidences of Young Me seeing blood in video games and thinking "holy crap, this is rad".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I can't remember if it was Super Double Dragon or something else, but I would borrow this game as a kid from my aunt's boyfriend, and it had a "versus" mode. I'd plug in a second controller and pick one of the knife-wielding enemies, then I'd knock the knife out of his hand - and since he was technically "Player 2" - he'd just stand there. Then I'd pick the knife up and repeatedly throw it at the guy until he started bleeding. It was one of, if not the, first incidences of Young Me seeing blood in video games and thinking "holy crap, this is rad".

Must've been something else, cause when you joined in Super Double Dragon you'd just spawn Jimmy.

Sounds vaguely familiar though, but there were like a million side-scroller beat 'em ups in the SNES library.

Mega Man X (1993)

LAUNCH.png

Next stop? Launch Octopus! The underwater level, a level which is always present in Mega Man games.
It contains the classic stuff, deadly spikes, annoying enemies and jumping like you are on the moon!
The stage looks nice and halfway through I found a secret which I knew about all along! 

SUB MARINE.png

If you destroy this submarine, you unlock a secret area with a sub-boss fight and a heart container!
HOORAY!
Launch Octopus was being a bitch however. The Rolling Shield was not doing enough damage. Halfway through
the fight I had to fall back on my trusted Megabuster to finish him off. Which I fucking did!

Our next stop is Boomer Kuwanger's tower. I always liked that stage.
Going up and up and up. Replaying it afterward because of: 

Heart piece.png

Yes, got it now but had to backtrack because I needed the Boomerang Cutter.
After getting to the top of the building and listening to this rocking tune:

I finally had to face this guy:

BOOMERANG.png

He was no match for my Homing Torpedoes
After destroying Boomerang it was time to backtrack to Mandrill's stage and get the E-Tank! (NUMBER 2)
Next up: STING CHAMELEON! 

In this forest of a stage we we're off on a mission, destroy Sting Chameleon while also acquiring the Body Armor upgrade. 
Guess....

FIGHT.png

BODY ARMOR.png

Yes, it happened. We can take 50% more damage now! Lovely upgrade, with all the increased health
we already have, we can only be destroyed by spikes! Or pits. 
After getting the Heart Container, it was off to the Chameleon.
With my trusted Boomerang Cutter I started the fight.
It was over before Boy George could say: Karma Karma Chamleoo....

Storm Eagle.png

After that encounter is was time to go airborne and go after STORM EAGLE.
This usually was the stage I did after Chill Penguin when I was young, but hey, mixed it up today!
Still a fun stage, loads of platforming plus:

Helmet.png

Helmet Upgrade!
I disposed of Storm Eagle quite easily and it was up for the last Maverick to defend Stigma's pride.
It was time to go to the Fiery Factory to face Flame Mammoth.

In the Fiery Factory I got my last upgrade: The Mega Buster upgrade. Looks epic.

NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.png

However, I had to deal with this evil jump. Took me around 20 minutes. But hey
I didn't rage Brexit! Ha-Ha-Ha.....

DONE IT.png

After all The Fiery Factory had turned in to the chill factory and I had an easy time.
The fight with Mammoth was epic. Just look at the picture below.

NOSE.pngMEGA MAN.png

Look I cut off his nose! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
As you can see I got every upgrade. Looks effing awesome right? After the celebration screen I saw Zero again.

Meeting Zero again.png

Who as you can read told me that we've found Sigma's Fortress and that the game is almost completed.

That my friends, you will read in another post!

I usually did Storm Eagle first, he was the easiest of the lot for me and his weapon is the most useful against non-bosses.

Plus Storm Eagle sounds like a nazi supervillain so fuck Nazis.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

On 6/27/2016 at 07:44, OctoberRavenO said:

Must've been something else, cause when you joined in Super Double Dragon you'd just spawn Jimmy.

Sounds vaguely familiar though, but there were like a million side-scroller beat 'em ups in the SNES library.

Figured it out. It was for the NES. I couldn't remember if it was NES or SNES, because my aunt's boyfriend had both and would let me borrow his NES some weekends (but never Zelda or Final Fantasy, the bastard).

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Double_Dragon_(NES)/Mode_B

To be fair he probably didn't want you playing over his save states. I've been on the receiving end of having a save overwritten...

That's exactly why :P He used to let me watch him play Final Fantasy, but never play it myself. IIRC the original cart only allowed for something like 1 or 2 saves. I still have memories of sitting in my aunt's bedroom, watching him play FF and Zelda on the little CRT TV he'd bring over, and if he got up to use the bathroom or get a drink I was under strict instructions to do. not. touch.

On 27/06/2016 at 09:16, Rocky said:

Are you playing on an emulator or console? if console, how much do you want for the Megaman X cartridge? :D

Mate, I still have a ton of SNES cartridges. Mostly football games, tho >_>

@Lars Mulder Try having a go at Fever Pitch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever_Pitch_Soccer

• Like 2

Mega Man X (1993)

I just had to prepare to fight Sigma. How? By getting the super secret HADOUKEN!
How did I get this?
Well, I had to have every upgrade, weapon etc.

POWER.png

I also needed 6 lives and be in Armadillo's stage. 
I had to die four times by falling into a pit near the end.
The 5th time, a Energy Capsule appeared:

RYU LIGHT.png

Dr. Ryu Light appeared and gave me his special attack.
HADOUKEN!!!!
Now we are ready to battle the final stages!

HADOUKEN.png

Ps. X even yells HADOUKEN!!!

Final Stage.png

Now it's really time to face Sigma.
Stage 1 had an annoying jumping part, Boomer Kuwanger and 2 bosses. 
I got my revenge on Vile and I destroyed a Spider.

BOSSS.pngBOSSSS.png

I must be honest, this was the toughest stage so far. But I'm prepared for Stage Sigma 2!

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Mate, I still have a ton of SNES cartridges. Mostly football games, tho >_>

@Lars Mulder Try having a go at Fever Pitch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever_Pitch_Soccer

Sounds like loads of fun!