Blink-182 - "California"

Benji

Because music discussion in this forum needs more album discussion. Catch all threads don't work for a relatively dead sub-forum >_>

Really liking this album at the mo. Definitely doesn't feel like a re-tread but retains that familiar sound. Album title fits, it sounds like an ode to the dream of California life.

"Bored To Death", "Los Angeles", "She's Out of Her Mind", "Kings of the Weekend" and "Teenage Satellites" are my early picks but I can see a lot as growers too.

Anyone else listened yet?

I've heard "Bored To Death" a few times on rotation on Kerrang. It seems better than most of the songs they've put out since the 00s mainstream popularity of pop punk started to wane, they now sound a little outdated compared to what I guess should be called their successors.

I liked "Bored To Death" but I'm not sold on it as a single. It works much better in the context of the full album.

I'll be fine with them sounding out dated. They were my favourite band as a young teen, I'd be sad if they didn't sound a little like that :lol:

Listened to it twice, once last night and earlier today.

I'm not sure if it's 'shiny toy syndrome', but this probably a top 3 blink album for me. Really like it.

The best song on it is obviously Built This Pool.

• Like 3

Heard 'Bored to Death' and another single they previewed ('Left Behind'?) so far. They're all right. As one of the reviews of California pointed out, blink-182 seem a bit behind the times when there are other punk bands - who I've categorised as '@Rich Rock' doing some amazing work encompassing more hardcore and emo elements.

Plus when Mark Hoppus talked about leaving Tom behind because he wanted to continue the "legacy" of blink-182, I basically yelled 'fuck off' at the screen. "Legacy"? From a band most well known for their fart and knob gags? Fuck off.

Legacy as in being arguably the most influential pop-punk band of all time. Blink-182 are to pop-punk what Rey Mysterio was to cruiserweight wrestling, they inspired more bands to get into a genre than almost any band of the last twenty years I can think of.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

Legacy as in being arguably the most influential pop-punk band of all time. Blink-182 are to pop-punk what Rey Mysterio was to cruiserweight wrestling, they inspired more bands to get into a genre than almost any band of the last twenty years I can think of.

I get that, sure, but I dislike it when artists (hopefully unknowingly) talk about themselves like Stephanie McMahon talks about the WWE 'brand'. "Legacy" is just another corporate/business term that means nothing in the real world.

I'd have more respect for Hoppus if he just flat-out admitted he can't afford to retire while still living in London.

• Like 3

Hey, Blink serve a purpose, I know there are bands out there doing more in terms of pushing the genre to interesting places, but there is also nothing wrong with some straight up pop punk if the beat and vibe are right

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, apsham said:

I popped the album on and the second that the intro on Cynical broke into full on riffs I knew this was going to be a fucking return to form. Excellent stuff.

Right? Cynical is great! Little short, though. 

21 hours ago, Rich said:

Hey, Blink serve a purpose, I know there are bands out there doing more in terms of pushing the genre to interesting places, but there is also nothing wrong with some straight up pop punk if the beat and vibe are right

This is my argument for Sum 41. They did some fun punk pop or whatever. I might check this Blink album out when I get back to a place with decent internet >_>

7 hours ago, MDK said:

This is my argument for Sum 41. They did some fun punk pop or whatever. I might check this Blink album out when I get back to a place with decent internet >_>

And what do you know, Sum-41 released a new track just a few days ago!