Blink-182 - "California"

Benji

I really like it, there are some super catchy hooks.  Love Skiba's involvement, you really get the sense that there's just more comfort with him involved.  It no longer feels two different bands trying to figure out how to mesh.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

It no longer feels two different bands trying to figure out how to mesh.

I hadn't even thought about that, but yeah, that's absolutely true. It's extra weird that you can pin point the exact song where Blink started to be that dual personality band with "Feeling This", since the way that was written was that Mark and Tom went into different rooms and wrote two sides of the same song and came out with that. I loved self-titled, Neighborhoods and DED, but this is definitely a more cohesive release.

Serious thoughts on the album: It's nice to see a Blink that isn't trying to be too mature. I feel like while DED and Neighbourhoods were good, there was little to none of the light hearted toilet humour Blink that we love. Some may say that's a good thing, but if I wanted serious and mature, I'm not going to listen to Blink-18facking2, am I?

Their self titled album was great and was pretty serious.  Honestly the two gag songs feel pretty out of place with the entire album, and it wouldn't be any worse without them.  They aren't the Bloodhound Gang, they've written plenty of material that isn't full of toilet humor, so no I don't think you should be expecting their albums to be full of that.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

First listen, I thought that it was okay, nothing special with a couple of good individual tracks (Home is such a Lonely Place and California). But listening again, it's peak Blink, and the best album they've released since Enema of the State, in my opinion. Matt Skiba is very good, and is a huge improvement on Tom DeLonge.

• Like 1