Checkatrade Trophy 2016/17

Gazz

Saw us beat Everton at Wembley...that's all I need <_<

I've erased the other two FA cups games we've had there recently from my memory. 

On 10/07/2016 at 16:51, GA! said:

Lost 1-0 to Halifax a few weeks back.

Lost against those cunts Bristol Rovers last year.

Lost the Johnstone's Piss Pot cup against MK Dons in 2008.

Lost in Cardiff against our old friends Cheltenham in the League 2 play-off final in 2006.

But we've also won 3 times at Wembley. So it's all good.

You missed one

22 hours ago, GA! said:

Oh, I forgot we also lost to Wrexham in the FA Trophy in 2013. So we're 3-5 on days out.

Wait, no you didn't

We were the first team to win a trophy at the new one. Thankfully the FA Trophy final doesn't sell out since my seat didn't actually exist but still a good part of history to be a part of. Second visit saw us beat York and then the Third visit not so good with a really nasty game against Barrow, more violence in that one then I saw at Summerslam and a fairly drab game which they pinched in extra time. Still 2/3 ain't bad and add in a Superbowl winning NY Giants too.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the draw:

Group draw

Northern Group A: Everton, Bolton, Cheltenham, Blackpool.

Northern Group B: Wolves, Chesterfield, Crewe, Accrington.

Northern Group C: Stoke, Bradford, Morecambe, Bury.

Northern Group D: Blackburn, Fleetwood, Carlisle, Oldham.

Northern Group E: Derby, Port Vale, Doncaster, Mansfield.

Northern Group F: Sunderland, Rochdale, Hartlepool, Notts County.

Northern Group G: Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe, Cambridge, Shrewsbury.

Northern Group H: Leicester, Sheffield United, Grimsby, Walsall.

Southern Group A: Reading, Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth, Yeovil.

Southern Group B: Swansea, AFC Wimbledon, Newport, Plymouth.

Southern Group C: Chelsea, Swindon, Exeter, Oxford.

Southern Group D: West Ham, Coventry, Wycombe, Northampton.

Southern Group E: Southampton, Charlton, Colchester, Crawley.

Southern Group F: Norwich, Peterborough, Barnet, MK Dons.

Southern Group G: Brighton, Southend, Stevenage, Leyton Orient.

Southern Group H: West Brom, Millwall, Luton, Gillingham.

Arsenal, Man U, Man C, Spurs, Liverpool and Newcastle turned down the invitation to join. They were replaced by Norwich, Brighton, Derby, Wolves, Blackburn and Reading.

How are the fans of Premier League teams on here approaching this competition. I know we have a Sunderland fan, and they're in the same group as my team, but I'd be interested to see how many people care how well their youth teams perform in this competition. From my perspective, I didn't care much for the competition before, and I care even less now, but perhaps the Premier League fans are more intrigued.

Newcastle declined the invitation. Shit tournament, pointless. :shifty:

Seriously though, disappointed about that, seems like a good opportunity to try out young players ignored.

I like that the groups were drawn 'on a regional basis' yet one contains those local rivals, Middlesborough and Shrewsbury.

11 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Newcastle declined the invitation. Shit tournament, pointless. :shifty:

Seriously though, disappointed about that, seems like a good opportunity to try out young players ignored.

I like that the groups were drawn 'on a regional basis' yet one contains those local rivals, Middlesborough and Shrewsbury.

Yeah, that classic local West Brom vs Millwall game 

I wasn't a fan of the idea of Prem teams entering. It just seems like the Premier League bullying their way into getting something they want. Eventually they'll bully their way into having b teams in the lower leagues. 

There's better ways of developing youth players and giving them experience such as loan moves or even giving them chances within the first team. 

Last season we had several youngsters or squad options come through and contribute.  Kevin Stewart was probably destined to get released yet came into the team, did a job for us and has been given a new contract. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

I wasn't a fan of the idea of Prem teams entering. It just seems like the Premier League bullying their way into getting something they want. Eventually they'll bully their way into having b teams in the lower leagues. 

There's better ways of developing youth players and giving them experience such as loan moves or even giving them chances within the first team. 

Last season we had several youngsters or squad options come through and contribute.  Kevin Stewart was probably destined to get released yet came into the team, did a job for us and has been given a new contract. 

What type of bizarre thinking is this 

• Like 2

I'm delighted we refused the invitation (along with the other big clubs :shifty:), it's a stupid competition. The fact that they've had to pull 6 Championship sides in says it all.

• Like 1

It gets more embarrassing every day. Why are Cheltenham in a group with three north western teams? Awful.

We're playing Mansfield, a league opponent anyway, Port Vale...not local, not interesting, and Derby Reserves. I won't be attending any matches in this sorry competition.

37 minutes ago, Adam said:

It gets more embarrassing every day. Why are Cheltenham in a group with three north western teams? Awful.

We're playing Mansfield, a league opponent anyway, Port Vale...not local, not interesting, and Derby Reserves. I won't be attending any matches in this sorry competition.

I'm actually quite stoked about Brighton and Southend, at least there is a bit of history between us.

• 4 weeks later...