Checkatrade Trophy 2016/17

Gazz

28 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Good to see this tournament being taken as seriously as ever.

I love the idea of clubs doing everything they can to make this competition as silly as possible. Put the tea lady up front and pick a fan from a random lottery to play in goal.

• Like 1

We won 2-0, a kid we just signed from Tadcaster Albion scored the opener, we took the highest away following of any game I believe - 337 - which is still about five times less than we would ordinarily take to this heated local derby and afterwards the Mansfield manager said "I'm just glad it's over, this is a pain in the backside."

Superb.

• Like 1

I am made up that it sounds like the new format is tanking in terms of attendance and the attitude of the managers and players. 

Plus seeing only 3 of the u23/u21 teams winning also made me laugh. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Adam said:

We won 2-0, a kid we just signed from Tadcaster Albion scored the opener, we took the highest away following of any game I believe - 337 - which is still about five times less than we would ordinarily take to this heated local derby and afterwards the Mansfield manager said "I'm just glad it's over, this is a pain in the backside."

Superb.

Took me ages to work out whether this was about Donny or Everton, largely because I have no idea where Mansfield is...

10 hours ago, Colly said:

Ruddy hell. Was 'heated local derby' sarcastic then, given there's about half a dozen Yorkshire clubs plus Scunthorpe closer?

No it wasn't sarcastic, the rivalry dates back to the miner's strike decades ago, Mansfield (and Forest) are referred to as "scabs" by Donny folk. It stems from there.

Plus, they are our geographically closest rivals in League 2 this season, who we haven't played in over a decade so 300 fans going is quite a damning indictment of this sorry tournament.

What I also found funny is that Wycombe's 43-year-old manager came off the bench and set up a goal, and Luton had to ask one of their player's school headmaster's permission to put him in the squad because he's only 15!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Admin