I own a record player!

Your Mom

I thought maybe I might try and start a little music discussion. I got a record player now! It feels really cool. I only own 2 records so far so I was wondering if any of you have one and might recommend some good vinyl to pick up. I pretty much like all kinds of music.

• Like 2

Why yes, I do own a record player thank you for asking. I have been buying vinyl for quite a few years now. I have an Audio Technica LP120 turntable powered by a Pioneer digital receiever from the late 1980s (replaced an Onkyo my dad gave me from the early 90s). Those go through two floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers bought in 1991 by my old man, also gifted to me. So my speakers that I rock with have been around since I was 6 or 7. Why all that information? Because turntable discussion goes hand in hand with stereo and speakers for me. All aspects of the listening experience are important.

image_7.jpeg

That's my collection thus far, it's always growing. 

Anyway I don't know about recommendations. I can say that amazon.com and discogs.com are fucking great places to find vinyl, between the two you can find nearly anything you want. 

Most of my collection is old punk, weird stuff like that. But I do have some stuff that might appeal to everybody...

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

The Stooges - Raw Power

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Those three albums are rock and roll personified in my book. I think they're experienced well on the vinyl format. You said you like everything, but is there anything specific you really like? 

• Like 3

Here's my record collection, although my taste is very middle-of-the-road (I was raised on the meat-and-two-veg stylings of 2000s Kerrang and MTV2): https://www.discogs.com/user/cmew023/collection.

While I dislike the conservative 'old music is better' viewpoint, I tend to find albums that were originally released in the days before CDs do sound more pristine. Newer albums are still great, but you can tell they're mixed louder with iTunes/streaming/CDs in mind.

My turntable is an Audio Technica LP60.

• Like 2

Well, I'd say the Ramones first three albums are must haves (self titled, Leave Home, and Rocket to Russia). 

The Clash self titled and London Calling as well. 

Janis Joplin's Cheap Thrills (you can probably find a good cheap used copy via discogs.com for this one). 

Anything by Black Sabbath, another one I'd advise looking for used on discogs.

Honestly, if you go the classic rock route, going used on discogs is a good bet because you can find old copies that people sell cheap because the covers show signs of wear. I made like a bandit finding stuff like Paul Revere and the Raiders for less than five dollars a piece because the covers were sort of beat up. 

Of course, I also recommend going into a record store and just looking through everything, it's a lot of fun. 

More bands...

Alice Cooper (anything here, personal favorite is Billion Dollar Babies)

Another thing I did when buying vinyl was I thought of my absolute favorite albums. The CDs I had, that I played most, which were my favorite? I started making them priorities for buying vinyl. 

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams, that's fucking great. The Motor City 5 man, one of the best live albums ever.

I got a record player for father's day so I'm also just joining vinyl club.

Collection currently made up of a copy of the first Field Music album I bought on record store day (yes, before I had the player), 3 Bowie LPs that bizarrely arrived at my mother in laws charity shop a week after his death ("well he's dead, what use are they to me now?") and the copy of Happy Hour by the Housemartins that I've had since I was an infant. I'm tempted to just let it stay like that so that if aliens come after the nuclear war they can base their knowledge of humanity on that selection.

How old is it? When did you buy it? 

Sadly, yes sometimes you can get burned by a warped record when buying online. It's happened to me three times (but out of....150+ purchases it's not bad). If it plays fine, don't worry about it, but if the warp wont allow you to play it then send it/take it back (unless you've had it for years). I like buying vinyl from amazon because they are really good about refunding money when there is a problem. 

But normally, no, records shouldn't be warped. It happens, some will look wobbly, even perfect looking records may have a slight wobble to them. Still, if it plays without any skipping you're good. I have a copy of Kraftwerks - Trans Europe Express that looks bad but plays fine, which is weird because I swear it looks worse than a Captain Beefheart album I have that wont play right. 

I'm currently attempting to fix a warped record with weight and time. If it works I'll report back. 

23 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

Can you describe the problem and perhaps i can help.

It seems way thicker than my others and it didn't seem to spin right and skipped a bunch on the first song. The turntable seemed loose so we tightened it up. Not sure if that helped yet

Vinyl does come in different thickness for whatever reason, but shouldn't affect play. It may be that the arm/counter balance needs a bit more fine tuning. My turntables arm needed to be calibrated when i got it. Its a bit tricky, tightening like you said may have done the trick.