Stranger Things

Benji

3 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

End of season spoiler question. Don't look until you finish the season

Hide contents

Is 11 still alive? I didn't get why the Sheriff left Eggo's in that box. And does he work for the Government now? I was confused.

Spoilers in the answer here:

The creators have said that Hopper's working for the government, Eleven is still very much in play, and Will's reaction at the end of the season to having been in the other dimension will play heavily into the second season of the show, but it won't affect just him.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode last night and holy crap - my only problem is wanting to watch the remaining episodes in one 48 minute block somehow because I need to know everything that is going on. Every single character I want to know more about, and have some kind of belief that there is more to them.

• Like 1

I gotta say that the truly wonderful, critical trick of this show is not simply that it borrows the artifice of its 80s sci-fi/fantasy inspirations, but that it learned critical lessons in why those films were so beloved. They all have three-dimensional emotional cores, born of endearing characters with meaningful relationships that get put through the wringer and come out stronger. To see this show operate so skillfully on both a superficial and complex level makes it uniquely rewarding and a real stand-out.

• Like 7

So we finally finished this last night and this is easily the best programme I've watched in 2016. Just fantastic from start to finish and the ending hit me right in the feels. 

When's season 2 out :P

• Like 1

Despite a very strong start, I've only just managed to watch episodes three and four yesterday. Spoilers, obviously...

Spoiler

I'm a bit let down that Will is alive somewhere else. I loved the idea that in amongst all this weirdness, there was just this one simple death that was just utterly normal. Just a reminder that the world doesn't have to be strange to be horrible.

I mean, it's not going to ruin the show, and I loved Winona Ryder's character scratching at the wall trying to rescue him, but it was just something that, when it happened, I thought "oh that's really sad - clever, but sad".

Spoiler

Yeah, part of me wanted his death to be something mundane in comparison to all the weirdness going on. In a show called "Stranger Things", someone dying not because of all that is going on would be even stranger.

Like I say, it's not coloured the show and I didn't honestly expect it to be mundane, but I thought it would be something a bit different if it had gone that way.

So, finale...

Spoiler

Does anyone else feel really bad for the "monster"? It wasn't malicious at all, it was just eating to survive as far as we know. I'm hoping they left that open for a second season, but it did feel a bit like territory that never got explored. Ditto the fact Barb's death seemed to just get glazed over.

Other than that, loved it. Just an amazing show that never stopped to fill space, every part of it felt important and it was an amazing ride. When my only complaints are "they didn't give me enough exposition" but they're doing a second season... yeah, I can ignore those problems, especially since the D&D ending basically lampshaded those factors.

I really liked Steve too. Like, he seems like a douchebag when he turns on Jonathan and Nancy, but who wouldn't feel hurt and betrayed seeing that? Can you really blame him for lashing out? And his subsequent helping of the guy cleaning grafiti, as well as his turning his back on his mean spirited friends and helping Jonathan and Nancy in the fight against the monster went to show he wasn't a bad guy (even though some reviews I read went as far as to call him a "scumbag").

Hopper was probably my favourite character, followed by Dustin, but they were all great. Everyone felt so human. Great writing and acting.

• Like 6

I mean this quite seriously; how am I supposed to go back to watching other shows after this? I mean I've got 3 episodes of Supergirl to watch and I can't bring myself to do it because of how amazing this show was.

Honestly I laughed, I jumped and I had to hold back tears at points. The characters were great, you care about every single person in the show, there are no annoying characters, even if some of the characters can annoy you.

I said it on Twitter but it's one of the best TV series I've seen in a long time, and I'm putting it ahead of Daredevil and Jessica Jones in quality and I thought they had set a bar. I cannot wait for series two.

• Like 1

As someone who also felt like it would be impossible to go back to regular shows, I can tell you, it isn't. I know that we use it as hyperbole, but this show was amazing and deserves the acclaim it is getting. I've been having trouble watching lesser stuff since, but my wife and I just burned through season one of Scream (yes, MTV's Scream) on Netflix at the suggestion of friends who also loved Stranger Things, and that was great for a lot of the same reasons. The setting is nailed perfectly, the characters are appropriate to the time and their ages, and it's a ton of fun. Try that out.

First half of season 1 of Arrow was a slog...2nd half picks up.  Stop watching before S4 and keep your memories good

1 hour ago, Lint said:

First half of season 1 of Arrow was a slog...2nd half picks up.  Stop watching before S4 and keep your memories good

S4 of Arrow reminds me of S5 of Dexter, it's not as good as previous seasons, but it's not even close to the abomination that comes after.

21 hours ago, Benji said:

So, finale...

Hide contents

Does anyone else feel really bad for the "monster"? It wasn't malicious at all, it was just eating to survive as far as we know. I'm hoping they left that open for a second season, but it did feel a bit like territory that never got explored. Ditto the fact Barb's death seemed to just get glazed over.

Other than that, loved it. Just an amazing show that never stopped to fill space, every part of it felt important and it was an amazing ride. When my only complaints are "they didn't give me enough exposition" but they're doing a second season... yeah, I can ignore those problems, especially since the D&D ending basically lampshaded those factors.

I really liked Steve too. Like, he seems like a douchebag when he turns on Jonathan and Nancy, but who wouldn't feel hurt and betrayed seeing that? Can you really blame him for lashing out? And his subsequent helping of the guy cleaning grafiti, as well as his turning his back on his mean spirited friends and helping Jonathan and Nancy in the fight against the monster went to show he wasn't a bad guy (even though some reviews I read went as far as to call him a "scumbag").

Hopper was probably my favourite character, followed by Dustin, but they were all great. Everyone felt so human. Great writing and acting.

Spoiler

I think they may go back to Barb. Didn't she have a slug crawling out of her mouth? And Will was vomiting them up, so it's possible they tie that in.

• 3 weeks later...