Stranger Things

Benji

All season spoilers;

Spoiler

Still didn't enjoy it as much as the first series, but that was brilliant - I think the first season is stronger because there's the mystery as to what exactly is going on with the Upside Down, with Eleven, Will, and everything, whereas this time around we know more or less all of that, so it has to take a different approach.

I'm still not convinced that any of the new additions to the cast actually really added anything. They're all good characters, and well acted, but I'm not sure the plot really required Bob, Max, Billy, or the punk gang to function. Billy especially seems completely superfluous.

Episode 8 was superb, though - Winona Ryder was at her absolute best throughout.

I'm so on board with Steve and Dustin as friends, and Hero Steve in general - never would have expected he'd be one of the highlights of the series.

I don't like that the series more or less ties everything up nicely only to go "WOAH SHADOW MONSTER" at the end, it felt like a forced "there might be another season" sting, and far less natural than the more open ending of series one.

Overall, I loved it, though. Dustin's the best, Eleven is still astonishingly well acted for someone so young, and there are some real tear-jerkers. Hopper talking about his little girl felt natural; that he lost a child is such an understated, but essential, part of his character across both seasons, yet you're never hit over the head with it.

All-season spoilers

On 10/30/2017 at 19:43, Skummy said:

Spoilers up to and including episode 7;

Hide contents

I'm not really all that invested in Eleven's story at this point - if the girl playing her wasn't so damn good, I'd probably be more annoyed by her subplot than anything else, particularly as episode 7 seems to take a massive diversion to focus entirely on her right when everything is coming to a head for everyone else. 

On 10/31/2017 at 00:43, Lint said:

Seriously

Hide contents

When the season started, I was convinced Bob would be bad.  That he was a government agent or something to watch them.  But no...it turns out Bob Newby was just a really good guy!  I wound up being so sad when he died

:( .  RIP Bob Newby

Echoing these two precisely. Episode 7 felt like The Duffer Brothers' audition tape for the next crappy DC superhero film/series. My main three ending thoughts were:

1) Episode 7 should have had a lot cut from it and shown chunks of just like every other episode, because the only important things were finding out "Papa" is supposedly alive, 8 is alive, and Eleven can now control going Super Saiyan. Everything else could be cut.

2) Billy could have been a redeemable character if not for the blatant racism. Yeah, he's a total dick to everyone, but with a few tweaks he could have been tied into fighting the demo-dogs situation, if only for the fact he's charged with watching out for Mad Max. I was torn the entire season on whether or not things would wrap up with his comeuppance or redemption story, and it didn't feel like there was a strong enough comeuppance.

3) Steve f'n Harrington is the only one who doesn't get a happy ending. His whole season was standing under a shitstorm without an umbrella. And he never does anything to deserve any of it. He loses the girl he loves, he gets the shit kicked out of him by his rival, and he drives off doing the honorable thing of not interfering in Jonathan and Nancy's budding relationship. At least he didn't have to witness the electricity between Nancy and star-of-the-season, Dustin. That might have been the final straw for poor Steve.

But non-numbered honorable mention to Paul Reiser as the good doctor working for an evil organization.

Edited by I Don't Mind

On your third point;

Spoiler

I kind of see Steve's arc as "a good deed is its own reward"; he doesn't need to get a smiley happy ending, because his "happy ending" is just being a better person.

• Like 4

Finished it. Liked it all. I think I’d agree that it wasn’t as good as season 1, and I think I also would agree that part of that was the mystery of season 1. 

On 31/10/2017 at 04:43, Lint said:

Seriously

Hide contents

When the season started, I was convinced Bob would be bad.  That he was a government agent or something to watch them.  But no...it turns out Bob Newby was just a really good guy!  I wound up being so sad when he died

:( .  RIP Bob Newby

That's exactly what I expected too! Happy it didn't turn out that way. I thought with Owens being the good doctor in an evil organisation it would lead to an evil guy infiltrating the good gut family, for the sake of balance.

I felt really bad for Steve, as people have said he's been screwed over royally and has consistently done the right thing the whole season. He deserved a moment himself to bask in but eh.

Episode 7 was weird. I don't think it ruined the show like some opinions I've seen, and it did establish what it needed to but I expected more from the reveal that there are more kids than just Eleven out there with abilities. I guess that's where they might go with the 3rd season because as awesome as Eleven is, they can't keep having her be a big damn hero at the end, and they've already faked out for a heroic sacrifice.

Where else can they go from here? I don't think they should move away from the group cos the kids are fantastic and they have great chemistry with each other and with the likes of Steve and Hopper, it all feels very natural and stuff but they'll need to keep it fresh. I am hoping the shadow monster can stay away from poor Will next time :@

It was a really good season, of a really awesome show.

I'm watching episode two right now. Nancy's actress is giving one of my favorite acting-drunk performances. The overemphasis on consonants, the constantly repeating herself. It's perfect.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...