2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

2 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Any of my fellow Canadian EWBers use the Rogers GameCentre Live subscription program?

I just found out that I can do a monthly subscription for $30 a month, but I want to make sure it's worthwhile. For the record, my team is out of market for me, so I can't watch most of their games on television (if I had cable)... but I can watch all out of market games on the application. I just want to make sure that the live streaming is good, and that if I have to miss a game and watch it on demand, that I'm not going to have to go through a bunch of spoiler-filled garbage just to turn on the game I want to watch. I would like to be able to choose a game on-demand without the result being spoiled for me, but early on with GameCentre, I remember people complaining about how the main menu had all of the most recent or live scores displayed as large or larger than the menus to select what you want to watch.

I use nhltv, dunno if it's the same thing, but on it you can choose to hide scores.

8 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Any of my fellow Canadian EWBers use the Rogers GameCentre Live subscription program?

I just found out that I can do a monthly subscription for $30 a month, but I want to make sure it's worthwhile. For the record, my team is out of market for me, so I can't watch most of their games on television (if I had cable)... but I can watch all out of market games on the application. I just want to make sure that the live streaming is good, and that if I have to miss a game and watch it on demand, that I'm not going to have to go through a bunch of spoiler-filled garbage just to turn on the game I want to watch. I would like to be able to choose a game on-demand without the result being spoiled for me, but early on with GameCentre, I remember people complaining about how the main menu had all of the most recent or live scores displayed as large or larger than the menus to select what you want to watch.

I'm in the same boat.  I didn't know you could do a monthly subscription. I did read on demand isn't available for 2 days after the game though. Is that true or was that a misread?

Neither team seemed to interested in playing strong defence in the Leafs / Sens game.

What's lost in Matthews strong start is that Nylander and Marner had great games as well. Marner in particular was a noticeable threat every time he touched the puck.

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

Neither team seemed to interested in playing strong defence in the Leafs / Sens game.

What's lost in Matthews strong start is that Nylander and Marner had great games as well. Marner in particular was a noticeable threat every time he touched the puck.

When I was watching, Marner had an amazing shot that went off the crossbar. So close....

And Nylander! 2 assists! I would love to see what Nylander/Matthews/Marner could do on a line together.

2 hours ago, Kevin Elliott said:

I'm in the same boat.  I didn't know you could do a monthly subscription. I did read on demand isn't available for 2 days after the game though. Is that true or was that a misread?

I'm using it for the first time this season as they offered it free with my wireless account. On Demand is available instantly unless the game is blacked out in your region, in which case it's a 48 hour wait.

11 hours ago, Gabriel said:

This has not changed, the score is shown right next to the 'Watch' icon.

14 hours ago, Hewey said:

I use nhltv, dunno if it's the same thing, but on it you can choose to hide scores.

I know during the login it has NHL.tv and Rogers for my app - I am assuming it's the same thing. The app had a huge overall last year as has been a lot more reliable when it comes to buffering, and a clear resolution.  Overall, I do like it - but you should probably use a VPN and purchase it as if you're in Russia, I think it's a lot cheaper...  At least that was the case 2 years ago when I did it from my phone.  With logging in to NHL.tv, I can hide the scores. 

I used it yesterday.  Matthews looked great last night with the leafs, although some of the defense looked brutal for the Sens and I thought the goalie could have had a couple.  Great debut. That's something he'll never forget. 

I watched the Oilers - Flames, and holy shit McDavid dominated nearly every shift he was on the rink. If Ebs or Lucic could score, he could have easily had 6-7 points. Hype from the new building and home opener, but just on another level from everybody on the rink. 

Edited by TGWL

8 hours ago, TGWL said:

I watched the Oilers - Flames, and holy shit McDavid dominated nearly every shift he was on the rink. If Ebs or Lucic could score, he could have easily had 6-7 points. Hype from the new building and home opener, but just on another level from everybody on the rink. 

To be fair, Brian Elliott (when not playing under Ken Hitchcock) makes any player look capable of scoring a hatty, so 6 points outta McJesus would be on-par.

If the Jets can play with a sense of urgency this season like they did during the last ten or fifteen minutes of last nights game, they're in for a good season. Still a few years away from a Stanley Cup I think, though.

Laine has all the potential in the world, should be interesting to see how his career plays out.

Edited by WeAreOne

I was reading a bit of advanced metrics and there's a lot of numbers that were saying Winnipeg could really surprise this year and make the playoffs. In the NHL who knows, everyone but (advanced apologies to 2/3 of this board) Vancouver, Toronto, and Columbus probably have a shot to be honest.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 07:26, damshow said:

I was reading a bit of advanced metrics and there's a lot of numbers that were saying Winnipeg could really surprise this year and make the playoffs. In the NHL who knows, everyone but (advanced apologies to 2/3 of this board) Vancouver, Toronto, and Columbus probably have a shot to be honest.

I don't think any of the Leafs fans on this board think the Leafs are making the playoffs, I think they can get 8th if literally everything goes right, and a lot of other teams fall off. And that's not likely.

On 10/13/2016 at 22:19, Plubby said:

To be fair, Brian Elliott (when not playing under Ken Hitchcock) makes any player look capable of scoring a hatty, so 6 points outta McJesus would be on-par.

That's true.  But I meant more about looking dominate in everything he does on the rink. However, the Flames look really bad right now. 

8 hours ago, Hewey said:

Frustrating game as a Pens fan, especially the fluke OT goal, but Colorado matched up quite well with Pittsburgh's speed. Still, 5 out of a possible 6 points without Sid is a good start. 

And a third string goaltender in our loss. 

18 hours ago, Toe said:

I don't think any of the Leafs fans on this board think the Leafs are making the playoffs, I think they can get 8th if literally everything goes right, and a lot of other teams fall off. And that's not likely.

I think we can be a bubble team.

41 minutes ago, RPS said:

And a third string goaltender in our loss. 

Is he Colorado's third stringer? I don't watch many of their games, but I do remember him playing the Penguins a few years back and almost shutting them out.