2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

My Tampa Bay sneaks in and then eliminates Washington in round 1 scenario is still in play.

Also, Olympic hockey is the very best Olympic team sport precisely because we get the NHL players. World Cup of Hockey was fun, especially TNA and Europe, but nothing tops Olympic hockey. Unfortunately now we're probably looking at US college players, juniors, and diluted teams from Sweden, Finland, etc. going up against a much less diluted team from Russia.

10 hours ago, Busch Hernandez said:

The NHL has announced that it will not participate in the 2018 Olympics and they will not adjust their schedule to accommodate.

That's terrible.  Hope the players participate anyway.

Oh well, that is Russia nailed on to get the gold. Can the players not just book 3 weeks off work or does it not work like that?

2 hours ago, damshow said:

Also, Olympic hockey is the very best Olympic team sport

So, you've not watched Rugby 7's? 

On 4/4/2017 at 07:52, damshow said:

My Tampa Bay sneaks in and then eliminates Washington in round 1 scenario is still in play.

Also, Olympic hockey is the very best Olympic team sport precisely because we get the NHL players. World Cup of Hockey was fun, especially TNA and Europe, but nothing tops Olympic hockey. Unfortunately now we're probably looking at US college players, juniors, and diluted teams from Sweden, Finland, etc. going up against a much less diluted team from Russia.

I think Tampa is pretty much done after last night. 

And of course, since this team can't catch a break, Kris Letang is out for the playoffs, pretty much putting an end to us repeating unless something happens to the Caps like injuries, suspensions, etc. Fuck, Pittsburgh cannot catch a fucking break sometimes.

On 4/5/2017 at 19:07, Hewey said:

I think Tampa is pretty much done after last night. 

And of course, since this team can't catch a break, Kris Letang is out for the playoffs, pretty much putting an end to us repeating unless something happens to the Caps like injuries, suspensions, etc. Fuck, Pittsburgh cannot catch a fucking break sometimes.

Or the Caps pull a Caps.

And Lightning are done. They're crushing the Leafs right now but waaayyy too much needs to happen for TB to make it and Toronto to miss out.

Tampa and NYI both need to win out AND they need Toronto to lose both of their games.

It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. Toronto has Pittsburgh and Columbus, and those are not going to be easy games. Tampa Bay has Montreal and Buffalo, and the Islanders play the Devils and Senators.

Calgary is likely to play Chicago or Anaheim in the first round, and despite our losing streak at the Pond, I'd prefer Anaheim for the first series. Stylistically, I feel like if the Flames are to advance to the second round, it's going to have to be against the Ducks. Chicago is too quick on the attack, and we have a lot of guys who will probably need to acclimate to the playoff atmosphere. The Ducks will be a rougher, more hard hitting series, and that's exactly what we need to make sure that Ferland and Tkachuk get properly involved from the get-go. I feel like if we draw Chicago, it's going to be a lot harder for our young guys to avoid getting caught in their trap and trying to play a finesse game.

4 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

So to my understanding, if Toronto wins tomorrow they get Ottawa.  If they lose, they go to Washington and Boston gets Ottawa.

Toronto just needs one point for Ottawa. I'll gladly accept a shootout loss.

Playoffs! :D

But Freddy is hurt maybe! :(

But Matthews scored 40! :D

But maybe Washington in the first round! :(

BUT MAYBE THE BATTLE OF ONTARIO IS ON AGAIN! :D:D:D

I know the Leafs made the playoffs a few years ago in the shortened season but it really feels like the 2 biggest droughts both came to an end this year.

I'm excited for the Battle of Ontario. Ottawa plays a very low-scoring, defensive style which I can't stand but these Leafs are fun as hell to watch. I think Toronto manages to advance and hopefully the Habs do too. I would love Montreal-Toronto with a playoff atmosphere for the first time in my lifetime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, damshow said:

I know the Leafs made the playoffs a few years ago in the shortened season but it really feels like the 2 biggest droughts both came to an end this year.

I'm excited for the Battle of Ontario. Ottawa plays a very low-scoring, defensive style which I can't stand but these Leafs are fun as hell to watch. I think Toronto manages to advance and hopefully the Habs do too. I would love Montreal-Toronto with a playoff atmosphere for the first time in my lifetime.

Habs Leafs in the playoffs? 

cYanmPn.gif

5 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

Of course Boston chokes down the stretch again.  At least this year they made it in, but now wind up against Washington.  Barring you know, Columbus actually wins tonight.

C'mon Columbus, be a good sport.

No, fuck Boston. You get Washington.