2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

That Montreal / New York match up is bullshit. What a fantastic reward for winning your division - you now get to face a team that finished only one point behind you and with a better goal differential!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toe said:

That Montreal / New York match up is bullshit. What a fantastic reward for winning your division - you now get to face a team that finished only one point behind you and with a better goal differential!

The whole format is bullshit, two of Pittsburgh, Columbus or Washington will all be eliminated by the 2nd even though they were the top three in the East. 

I don't mind rivalry based divisions, but the crossover kills that. It's one thing if the divisions get split five and three for one team to go over, but when four teams from each division make it, they should stIck together. Either go full on division playoffs or do 1 vs 16 and so on. 

5 hours ago, damshow said:

So glad we get the NBC-selected playoff games. I mean, really, who wants to see Connor McDavid's first ever playoff game as well as the return of playoff hockey to Edmonton? No one, right? St. Louis-Minnesota is what you all want and what you all will get!

Oilers/Sharks are gonna be on USA following the Pens game

Fuck, Murray looks like he's out for the next few games, Fleury is gonna have to be lights out like he was tonight, what a performance! Come on, Flower, finish your run as a Penguin with more games like that.

Leafs/Caps is pretty much the perfect playoff hockey series: everybody's beating the hell out of everybody else, interspersed with ridiculous offensive and defensive plays & a ton of scoring, and both games have gone to overtime.

I genuinely would not be surprised to see winner of MTL/NYR lift the Cup in 2 months. Washington is supposed to be the team without flaws, but through 2 games they've been played even by an 8 seed. It's an extremely deep playoff bunch this year, whereas last year it basically felt like Washington or Pittsburgh was winning it all.

I am surprised to see Minnesota down 3-0 as well, but then again Boudreau seems to regularly shit the bed as a playoff coach. Prior to this one every full season he's had as a head coach his team has won their division, but he's only made the conference finals once. Weirdly bad track record.

How is it not just expected that the Caps will choke in the playoffs? It's like the Browns missing the playoffs or water being wet. 

Also, the Blues have looked really good so far in the playoffs. I've somehow found myself watching all three of their games so far.

It doesn't help the Caps when literally every interview involves asking them about their legacy as the ultimate chokers. Even if they're not thinking about it, the media is making them think about it.

Shocked that the Blackhawks are basically toast, doubly so the Wild. Thinking we're looking at Anaheim-St. Louis and Pittsburgh-Montreal as our conference finals.