2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

• 2 months later...

Isn't it great that after solving the issues for the Islanders and the Coyotes that we're right back to square one with both?

I don't understand Bettman's hesitance to just let these teams move when stuff like this happens. If these are actually great markets, the loss of the product will drive that home and create new excitement if they get a team back later. If they're not good markets, then they just shouldn't be there to begin with. The Islanders have good fans, but can't seem to work it out with the municipalities. The Coyotes just don't get enough support in Arizona, except for when they're about ready to move.

Quebec City is gonna wind up with 3 teams at this rate.

I feel bad for the fans of the Islanders, but there's not a real viable solution for them. They shrunk down Nassau, it's hard to justify another arena being built in NYC, and Barclays was simply never going to work out. It's also kind of tough to justify 3 teams being the same region, especially when the Rangers take 80% of the support by virtue of their longevity. I don't feel as bad for fans of the Coyotes because they've been given lifeline after lifeline to keep the team there when multiple markets that would support the team much better are just standing by and waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited that the Flames added depth to the team without taking anything away at the deadline. Over the past two weeks, we've added Matt Bartkowski, Michael Stone and Mike Kostka on our back end, with reclamation project Curtis Lazar joining us up front. The only tangible asset we lost was Jokipaaka, so I'd say that Treliving did a very good job.

If Lazar can get things going, he can be a very useful piece of this team moving forward. If he can't, at least we added depth for the stretch run with him and Kostka coming out of Ottawa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2017 at 20:04, Ruki said:

Tweeted a poorly worked question to a hockey blogger. Now my phone is blowing up with people calling me dumb :(

Way to go dummy.

52 minutes ago, damshow said:

Last year: No Canadian teams in the playoffs

This year: Oh, sorry Vancouver & Winnipeg :(

Leafs aren't in yet. 85% to make it....but nothing is safe in Leaf land.

3 hours ago, damshow said:

I don't think we'll wind up getting it but I'm really hoping for MTL vs TOR in the playoffs.

If things stay as they are that'd be the Round 2 matchup if MTL can get through the Rangers and if the Leafs can get by the Senahahaha I can't even finish yeah if Montreal can beat the Rangers they'd meet the Leafs in the semi-final.