Movies You're Embarrassed To Say You Haven't Watched

Draevyn

HOT TAKE:  The Matrix was largely psuedo-philosophical garbage with some nice action set pieces thrown in. I've never understood the hype for it, and after seeing the first one I had no desire to see the sequels. 

Then again, some of my favorite movies are sleazy 80s horror movies / slasher films, sooo..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

HOT TAKE:  The Matrix was largely psuedo-philosophical garbage with some nice action set pieces thrown in. I've never understood the hype for it, and after seeing the first one I had no desire to see the sequels. 

Then again, some of my favorite movies are sleazy 80s horror movies / slasher films, sooo..

Cloudy took the Blue pill :( 

There aren't really any. It was like someone flipped a switch in my mid-20s and suddenly I didn't really care about movies. I still watch them and can quite enjoy the whole going to the cinema and getting popcorn type experience, but if a movie comes out and I miss it I don't really care.

Nowadays if I watch a movie and it isn't at the movies it's because my boyfriend and I can't think of anything to do so we find a movie we'll both enjoy. I think Netflix has made a dent in my appreciation of cinema as well, it's much easier to watch an entire series of something that we both like the look of than to keep finding movies we think we'll both like.

• Like 1

Mine used to be Scarface. I remember reading and hearing about it was the greatest film ever and then I watched it with a friend and hated every single second of it. It's one of the few films I've constantly checked the time during to see how much longer there is left. Also I found the acting to be atrocious. Honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen. Absolutely hate it.

13 hours ago, RPS said:

I thought the cod-philosophy was worth an eye-roll here or there because it tried too hard and at no point was I trying to look deeper into the movie for meaning. But I think I enjoyed the movies because, as you said, they defied expectations.

To your point on style over substance, I actually think the problem was that it was over-saturated with "substance". What people appreciated in the first movies were the style - the kung fu, the action set pieces and bullet time stuff - but the audiences were completely turned off by the substance of the philosophical overtones in the later movies. 

My comment about style over substance relates more to the overall Wachowski's filmography; although it's still mostly stylistic in The Matrix sequels because, well, I say 'cod-philosophy' as none of the words hardly mean anything in relation to the overall story. It's a bit like a stoned university student being deep.

I'm completely split on the Wachoswki's stuff; I thought Cloud Atlas was really, really good and Jupiter Ascending was a bit wank. When they get it wrong, their work feels incredibly hollow, but when they get it right, it's so satisfying to see these huge worlds created an realised. Their debut feature Bound is a wonderful Neo-Noir, which kind of fits the narrative -- it oozes style, but has plenty of substance to go with it. I would really like to watch Speed Racer again, thinking about it. 

Edited by Jimmy

53 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm completely split on the Wachoswki's stuff; I thought Cloud Atlas was really, really good and Jupiter Ascending was a bit wank. When they get it wrong, their work feels incredibly hollow, but when they get it right, it's so satisfying to see these huge worlds created an realised. Their debut feature Bond is a wonderful Neo-Noir, which kind of fits the narrative -- it oozes style, but has plenty of substance to go with it. I would really like to watch Speed Racer again, thinking about it. 

I think you mean Bound

Pfft.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm completely split on the Wachoswki's stuff; I thought Cloud Atlas was really, really good and Jupiter Ascending was a bit wank.

They make big budget Hollywood movies that aspire to be more, but their aspirations fail and they just make a slightly more smarter big budget Hollywood movie. Sense8 on Netflix was done by them and really good. I think they work much better in an environment like TV versus a movie. 

14 hours ago, TMM said:

Mine used to be Scarface. I remember reading and hearing about it was the greatest film ever and then I watched it with a friend and hated every single second of it. It's one of the few films I've constantly checked the time during to see how much longer there is left. Also I found the acting to be atrocious. Honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen. Absolutely hate it.

I completely agree. I like Brian De Palma (The Untouchables is probably in my top 10), but for some reason Scarface just never worked for me outside of a few moments.

12 minutes ago, RPS said:

They make big budget Hollywood movies that aspire to be more, but their aspirations fail and they just make a slightly more smarter big budget Hollywood movie. Sense8 on Netflix was done by them and really good. I think they work much better in an environment like TV versus a movie. 

I keep forgetting about Sense8. Netflix weirdly brushed it under the carpet, yet season 2 is being made.

I want to see it as I've always thought the Wachowskis would do well under a serial format.

Honestly, so much stuff. I wish I kept up watching with the 365 movies a year, like I did in 2014 and almost did in 2015, but for because I changed careers and now my job eats up 80% of my time and the other 20% goes to girlfriend / family / gym, I can't find it. It really makes me sad.

Like, the movie I really, really want to see and am sad I haven't yet is the Lost Weekend, because Billy Wilder :wub:

1 hour ago, Moses Julep said:

I kind of gave up on watching 95% of superhero movies and just kinda nod my head when people talk about them,

Same here. The only ones I've seen that I've enjoyed are the Batman films and Deadpool. I can't stand all this Marvel stuff, its just so boring.

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

All three Godfather films, Rocky and Rocky 2. Any Alien, Predator or Terminator film. There's probably tons more I should be embarrassed about.

Of all of them, Rocky is the one to watch. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2016 at 15:55, Cymbols said:

Aside from Attack of the Clones, I haven't seen any Star Wars films.

Also never watched any Lord of the Rings or Marvel Films (apart from Deadpool). Not really embarrassed by this, just pointing it out 'cause yanno, most people seem surprised when I tell them that. 

I know exactly what you mean; I've never seen any of the LOTR, Star Wars or Harry Potter films and people are really surprised. Especially the Metros crowd.

17 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Honestly, so much stuff. I wish I kept up watching with the 365 movies a year, like I did in 2014 and almost did in 2015, but for because I changed careers and now my job eats up 80% of my time and the other 20% goes to girlfriend / family / gym, I can't find it. It really makes me sad.

Like, the movie I really, really want to see and am sad I haven't yet is the Lost Weekend, because Billy Wilder :wub:

you're in for a treat