2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Apologies if there's a thread, didn't see one on the first page. Seeing as the games start next week (August 4), let's have a thread.

First, let's learn about living conditions at the athletes' village!

... oh, they aren't good.

That’s according to the Sydney Morning Herald, which cites the AOC claiming the Australian athletes arrived today intending to check into their rooms, only to find them “uninhabitable.” The Herald claims the Great Britain and New Zealand delegations found themselves in the same spot upon arrival this weekend.

The Australians discovered water flowing down the walls upon attempting to flush toilets, a strong smell of gas, and exposed wiring. The team is currently staying in hotels to await their accommodations for the Games. Meanwhile:

Rollicking good start so far!

• Like 1

Blame the athletes, for going too early. A small portion of the Dutch athletes (the handball and women's hockey team) went as well, same kinda issues, are staying in the olympic village anyway.

10 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Apologies if there's a thread, didn't see one on the first page. Seeing as the games start next week (August 4), let's have a thread.

First, let's learn about living conditions at the athletes' village!

... oh, they aren't good.

Rollicking good start so far!

Sorry mates, We aren't asking for a Hilton, just ya know... Properly flushing terlets and minimal risk of electrocution.

As or the Rio mayor? Fuck you, We never had to worry about this shit in the year 2000 (the year 2000...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slogger said:

Sorry mates, We aren't asking for a Hilton, just ya know... Properly flushing terlets and minimal risk of electrocution.

As or the Rio mayor? Fuck you, We never had to worry about this shit in the year 2000 (the year 2000...)

Terlets 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2016 at 06:28, EddieG said:

Blame the athletes, for going too early. A small portion of the Dutch athletes (the handball and women's hockey team) went as well, same kinda issues, are staying in the olympic village anyway.

This is the same shit that happened with the last Winter games. This is the fault of the planners in Brazil and the IOC in general for letting this kind of bullshit happen. Last time we got to chuckle about weird bathrooms and dogs. This is the shit to look forward to this year.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/welcome-to-hell-you-won-t-be-safe-protesting-rio-police-tell-tourists/story-Z8tKNW6o1GpZxGeKUawdmM.html

• Like 1

I still find it hard to believe it has been 8 years since I worked in Beijing! Man, time flies.

To make this post a little more relevant - which events do everyone prefer to watch? I quite enjoy a spot of Handball myself. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2016 at 01:53, MDK said:

Terlets 

Cards on the table, I remember making that post but I do not recall writing terlets instead of toilets...

Don't drink and EWB, kids.

As for DFF's example - Handball is always one of those niche sports I enjoy like Archery, BMX, Hockey, Rugby Sevens, Judo/Taekawndo, Ladies Beach Volleyball (H), Weightlifting, Wrestling ect. ect.

But above all else I'm super keen to watch the Boomers run for a Medal in basketball, If only Bogut hadn't gotten hurt in the NBA finals...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFF said:

I still find it hard to believe it has been 8 years since I worked in Beijing! Man, time flies.

To make this post a little more relevant - which events do everyone prefer to watch? I quite enjoy a spot of Handball myself. 

Track and field, swimming, diving...the stuff that matters.

20 minutes ago, Lineker said:

The fact that golf is in the Olympics is a disgrace. 

Why?

13 minutes ago, DFF said:

Why?

I always thought the Olympics was for amateurs. Golfers aren't exactly amateur, plus why would they care about a gold medal when they could earn a million on a PGA tour.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I always thought the Olympics was for amateurs. Golfers aren't exactly amateur, plus why would they care about a gold medal when they could earn a million on a PGA tour.

Yet Neymar is playing football for Brazil U23s

• Like 1