No Man's Sky

Benji

23 minutes ago, apsham said:

I am so on the fence about this. The idea of the game is something that gives me wonder but at the same time I read that Jim Sterling review (that his site was DDoS'd for) and I can see that being a very real thing as well after a bit.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

I think, very much like Pokémon Go, the initial allure will wear off, but I'm all for it for the brief period I'll enjoy it.

I'm sort of mixed. I really was wanting there to be a genuine space sim where you could take off from a planet and go out into space and then explore space. This is probably the closest thing I've been wanting as far as mechanics go. I wish that it looked a little bit more realistic though because in my opinion, it looks a bit cartoonish. Space is too bright in my opinion.

Stellaris is also pretty close also. If only these two games were mixed, it'd probably be exactly what I am looking for. The first person ability to explore in NMS with the graphics and realism (starting from Earth and actual planets) of Stellaris.

That's what I mean. I have Stellaris also and I agree with that. I think if Stellaris had first person and had the open nature that NMS has, that would be my perfect game that I'm looking for. For some reason, no game developer has ever seen the value in a first person open space sim...Not a really good one anyway.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

I think I saw it described best as a 20-30 dollar indie game that Sony got behind and put a 60 dollar price tag and hype train behind.

That's sort of how I've viewed at it. I feel like at £25 I'd be happy to part with my money and risk being disappointed for a high concept indie game.

I don't think a negative review is unwarranted for the game and I would actually strong recommend anyone who is on the fence who has a PC to pick up the game on Steam (pending an assessment of performance on Steam) and giving it a quick 2 hour try before committing yourself to the game.

I think the way I would summarize the game is this - if you enjoy what you do in that initial two hours and can appreciate the depth that the game can provide with those mechanisms - keep chugging along. If you play an hour of this game and think "I hope I can do more at hour ten in this game, because things are a little slow" you are going to be disappointed. 

• Like 2

On the contrary, I feel the game is significantly better once you're a few hours in. The main early frustration the horribly small inventory size. To the point where early game feels like an inventory management sim. Once you start upgrading the Exosuit and your ship, it's less of an issue.

I get that the game won't be for everyone, but I feel like a lot of  those giving negative reviews are basing them off their unrealistic/incorrect expectations of what the game would be.

There are valid criticisms of course, but a lot of the reviews boil down to essentially saying, "there's nothing to do!" , which is the equivalent of saying there's nothing to do in Minecraft.

Well in all fairness there are features missing that were discussed/announced - which by all accounts people shouldn't cling all that much to since that happens in a lot of games, but at the same time when you make a big point to say that something is going to be in the game and then don't make as big of a point to say "well actually, we couldn't do that" it's understandable that some people start to ask questions. When there isn't even collision detection on some of the creatures - that tells me too that they don't plan to do anything with them.

Minecraft - to be fair - had quite a bit to do at launch and continued to build on top of that, with constantly evolving features and an absolutely massive mod community. No Man's Sky doesn't really support that and it's kind of foggy what is going to be added in months to come.

I still really want to have it just to walk around in though.

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

On the contrary, I feel the game is significantly better once you're a few hours in. The main early frustration the horribly small inventory size. To the point where early game feels like an inventory management sim. Once you start upgrading the Exosuit and your ship, it's less of an issue.

I agree that the game is better on hour 10 than it is on hour 2, but my point was more to the effect that if you do not enjoy the game mechanisms in those first two hours (aka, the shooting, the mining, the crafting, the flying, etc.) than you are unlikely to really enjoy the game past that two hours. The game opens itself up in terms of altering your gun, your ship, your suit, but there is not a whole lot to the gameplay above and beyond those mechanisms. 

It has been confirmed by Hello Games that the next patch will add in freighters and base building. From their patch notes: 

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alexis Sanchez said:

Just started and I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

:mellow:

Explore and discover whatever shit hole of a planet you landed on :)

You'll need to get some basic materials in order to repair you ship so use R1 to mine Iron, Carbon etc etc. 

Scan anything and everything in order to obtain units once you upload your discoveries. 

The other night I managed to find a planet that had no weather or elemental effects, which would presumably make it great for finding resources. It is however a barren shit hole that looks ugly, does not seem to have any creatures (on the surface) that I can see, some ugly ass fauna and there is like legitimately nothing around for miles. Lots of resources to find, but barely any trading posts to trade shit in. I think I called it "Finnbalor" 

• Like 1

Started playing earlier after having to troubleshoot a bit to get past a persistent crash-on-title-screen issue. That said, I'm loving it so far. Started on a planet with toxic rain, then went to one of the moons which was basically frozen tundra (where, I discovered, the water was warmer than the air at night by some 50 degrees celcius, which kind of makes physical sense, so that's cool).

Had to stop for a bit because I'm heading out soon, but I can see myself getting very lost in this game.

The PC version is having issues holding anywhere near 60 frames on computers that have 1080's in them among a myriad of other issues. Not looking good right now with some big time streamers giving up on the game due to many issues - Total Biscuit even stopped streaming with 25K+ viewers today and did a video on the performance issues instead. People scraping through the files have found legitimate PS4 files... something that PC users aren't going to be all that happy about considering how lazy that is.

• Like 1