Sign in to follow this  
Benji

No Man's Sky

Katsuya    2,791

If you're struggling to kill pirates, then just get the Beam weapon. It auto-locks and about 5/6 blasts of it seems to take down most pirate ships.

• Like 2

thatshortguy    3,159
1 hour ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

If you're struggling to kill pirates, then just get the Beam weapon. It auto-locks and about 5/6 blasts of it seems to take down most pirate ships.

Oooo, haven't seen that one yet.  Making that top priority.

@SRN:  Firstly, hey!  Secondly, I wouldn't say it's devoid of content as much as I'd say it is exactly what it says on the tin and nothing more.  If you've played Diablo, you know what mechanics to expect.  Every planet/star system is different, but there are certain variables that have a range (poison rain?  cold climate?  good materials?  big freaking dick monsters?).  You leap from moon to base to planet, hoping the next one is your last because you're Scott Bakula has the materials you need.

• Like 1

MexicoJack    4,158

I saw it described as a thousand miles wide but about a foot deep, seems as apt a comparison as any from what I've seen.

Sean Murray is now saying that 'no paid DLC' actually might mean 'paid DLC if we think the feature is cool enough'...

• Like 2

Ruki    3,585

I've had no interest in going back to play it from last Tuesday. The wife, who was super excited for it, also hasn't even played it yet.

It just feels like that what you do in the first 10 minutes is what you're going to do the next 10 hours, without much variety.

Avenged    3,969

Depends what you're expecting, but this game is exactly what I thought it would be from what I'd seen in trailers and that. 

Its very much a game for chilling with where you don't have to think too much or have to worry about getting killed every few minutes (although it happens occasionally). I spend 4 hours on it and the time flew by. Doesn't sounds that long, but games rarely hold my attention for over 30 mins at a time these days.

Avenged    3,969

Not a great deal, I just kinda do it as I'm walking. There was only one time I had to specifically hunt for something that I didn't already have/couldn't easily buy. 

RPS    12,177

I mine as I explore. If I land on a dull planet, I poke around to see anything interesting. I scan things and go into caves. When I have had enough of the planet I look for something more interesting. Mining is incidental to all of this.

I think the most uninteresting part of the game is the four races. 

RPS    12,177
17 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Weirdly the part I was most interested in was learning the language but then when I realized there were more than 1 I said fuck that

I think I would like it more if there was more races and languages but paired the language down.

SRN    2,024

@thatshortguy Hey yo. I acquired the game now. After taking an hour to get it working (some of the poorest optimization I have experienced in a long time), I have been poking around. It seems fine for now. I do find it a bit... dumb yet hilarious that the aliens you encounter just let you waltz into their house and they sit there, just chilling, watching you as you take all their stuff. For now, it seems like a good yet vastly glorified indie game. But it does have an amazing retro sci-fi look. I know I am going to spend hours, just looking at the environment. I absolutely love the aesthetics, even if the textures mostly look subpar.

• Like 1

MDK    22,680

Have they sorted out the PC framerate glitch?

SRN    2,024
19 hours ago, MDK said:

Have they sorted out the PC framerate glitch?

I do not know exactly what glitch you are referring to but the game still runs like a bag a bricks. I turned off GSync and VSync and it helped but it still gets choppy from time to time. What I will commend No Man's Sky for, is that it is reminding me of how much I love the "space trading and space combat simulation" genre. I played the shit out of Freelancer back when it came out but for some reason I never really ventured beyond that game in the genre. Maybe it is time to crack open the X games and the Elite games.

Walker    5,599

Went to a new star system and landed on a planet which seemed alright, but then it turned out every lifeform was hostile. I called it EWB in the end.

• Like 9

Benji    43,295
On 18/08/2016 at 01:52, Little Red Srarvette said:

Weirdly the part I was most interested in was learning the language but then when I realized there were more than 1 I said Fnark Bork.

Apsham    10,143

So after spending parts of the weekend with it - I'll say that I do like it, it basically did what I wanted it to but I'm very scared that I am getting to the end of the rope with new things to see. I'm only seeing these poison, barren planets and I want to push on and get a new ship very soon.. because yeah, the inventory thing is a huge pain.

IceLint    10,943

So is this pretty accurate?  I was really looking forward to the game, but after reading reviews and player opinions of it, I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it right off the bat

RPS    12,177

I think it is a really fun game. I wouldn't say the video is inaccurate, I would just say that it's presented in a way where you should feel that the game is boring when somebody could really enjoy No Man's Sky. But I also hate Honest Trailers.

The first ten hours is a grind, but once you find an AtlasPass  (which allows you to basically get all the stuff you need to replenish your hyper drive) and more slots, you basically won't waste time on boring planets. When you first land on a planet, you'll know if it'll be boring to be there or not cause they'll tell you if there are creatures there or not. If a planet is boring, I just take off to the next closest one. 

I play a few hours a week. It's a fun game. I still gasp when I land on a cool planet or discover a weird creature or plant. The price tag could arguably be lower but I'm not really in a place to know cause I didn't make the game and don't know how much it cost. 

I don't really know what other features outside the multi-player stuff people allege isn't in the game. At no point in buying the game did I care about multi-player and just assumed it was a single player experience but I avoided the hype train.

• Like 1

RPS    12,177

Sometimes when I feel down, I go on the No Man's Sky subreddit and realize that my life could be worse. I could be so consumed with my hatred for Hello Games that I spend hours throwing vitriol at them on reddit. That would be an infinitely worse existence. 

• Like 3

You could also hack Sean Murray's LinkedIn and post fake tweets about how the game was a mistake. Or send fake emails to Polygon, Kotaku etc. purporting to be a statement from him.

http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-accounts-apparently-hacked-send-bogus-apol-1788324240

DoubleX    600
6 hours ago, RPS said:

Sometimes when I feel down, I go on the No Man's Sky subreddit and realize that my life could be worse. I could be so consumed with my hatred for Hello Games that I spend hours throwing vitriol at them on reddit. That would be an infinitely worse existence. 

That subreddit is why this exists.

RPS    12,177

NMS would be so good stoned and a pot shop opened a few blocks away. Saturday night will be great.