No Man's Sky

Benji

17 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Weirdly the part I was most interested in was learning the language but then when I realized there were more than 1 I said fuck that

I think I would like it more if there was more races and languages but paired the language down.

@thatshortguy Hey yo. I acquired the game now. After taking an hour to get it working (some of the poorest optimization I have experienced in a long time), I have been poking around. It seems fine for now. I do find it a bit... dumb yet hilarious that the aliens you encounter just let you waltz into their house and they sit there, just chilling, watching you as you take all their stuff. For now, it seems like a good yet vastly glorified indie game. But it does have an amazing retro sci-fi look. I know I am going to spend hours, just looking at the environment. I absolutely love the aesthetics, even if the textures mostly look subpar.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MDK said:

Have they sorted out the PC framerate glitch?

I do not know exactly what glitch you are referring to but the game still runs like a bag a bricks. I turned off GSync and VSync and it helped but it still gets choppy from time to time. What I will commend No Man's Sky for, is that it is reminding me of how much I love the "space trading and space combat simulation" genre. I played the shit out of Freelancer back when it came out but for some reason I never really ventured beyond that game in the genre. Maybe it is time to crack open the X games and the Elite games.

So after spending parts of the weekend with it - I'll say that I do like it, it basically did what I wanted it to but I'm very scared that I am getting to the end of the rope with new things to see. I'm only seeing these poison, barren planets and I want to push on and get a new ship very soon.. because yeah, the inventory thing is a huge pain.

• 2 weeks later...

So is this pretty accurate?  I was really looking forward to the game, but after reading reviews and player opinions of it, I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it right off the bat

I think it is a really fun game. I wouldn't say the video is inaccurate, I would just say that it's presented in a way where you should feel that the game is boring when somebody could really enjoy No Man's Sky. But I also hate Honest Trailers.

The first ten hours is a grind, but once you find an AtlasPass  (which allows you to basically get all the stuff you need to replenish your hyper drive) and more slots, you basically won't waste time on boring planets. When you first land on a planet, you'll know if it'll be boring to be there or not cause they'll tell you if there are creatures there or not. If a planet is boring, I just take off to the next closest one. 

I play a few hours a week. It's a fun game. I still gasp when I land on a cool planet or discover a weird creature or plant. The price tag could arguably be lower but I'm not really in a place to know cause I didn't make the game and don't know how much it cost. 

I don't really know what other features outside the multi-player stuff people allege isn't in the game. At no point in buying the game did I care about multi-player and just assumed it was a single player experience but I avoided the hype train.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sometimes when I feel down, I go on the No Man's Sky subreddit and realize that my life could be worse. I could be so consumed with my hatred for Hello Games that I spend hours throwing vitriol at them on reddit. That would be an infinitely worse existence. 

• Like 3

You could also hack Sean Murray's LinkedIn and post fake tweets about how the game was a mistake. Or send fake emails to Polygon, Kotaku etc. purporting to be a statement from him.

http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-accounts-apparently-hacked-send-bogus-apol-1788324240

6 hours ago, RPS said:

Sometimes when I feel down, I go on the No Man's Sky subreddit and realize that my life could be worse. I could be so consumed with my hatred for Hello Games that I spend hours throwing vitriol at them on reddit. That would be an infinitely worse existence. 

That subreddit is why this exists.

13 hours ago, Fly the W! said:

That game was awful but I am so over it. People need to move on

This is how I feel. Not that the game was awful, but move on. Maybe they'll add new content in a couple of months or maybe they won't. Obsessively waiting for updates and losing your mind every day is a waste of time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I loved the concept of No Man's Sky from the beginning. Endless exploration, species to discover, etc. Yet, it failed to deliver. I paid full price for it and attempted to get my money's worth but failed to do so. However, I have been optimistic with it and with the new update. I recently fired it up again and that love for endless exploration came back. I'll stick with this game, it definitely has the potential to be something great. Yes, I understand that what was shown and what was delivered were two completely different games, but if you enjoy something enough, you stick with it. 

• Like 1