Motorsport Manager

Meacon Keaton

Does having no knowledge of motor racing mean I'll be crap at this game and find it hard to pick up? 

I got this in the sale and had  a bit of a piss about to get used to it but honestly I don't know what I'm doing <_<

45 minutes ago, David Mortyio said:

Does having no knowledge of motor racing mean I'll be crap at this game and find it hard to pick up? 

I got this in the sale and had  a bit of a piss about to get used to it but honestly I don't know what I'm doing <_<

I was in the same boat but it is surprisingly easy to get to grips with,

13 hours ago, David Mortyio said:

There isn't a lot of technical knowledge needed at all. A lot of it's a case of number crunching, and simple number crunching at that. The effects of all the parts you use are made very clear and race strategy is laid out in the tutorial. It's absolutely nowhere near the impenetrable mire that something like Pro Cycling Manager is if you're not au fait with the real sport.

7 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

There isn't a lot of technical knowledge needed at all. A lot of it's a case of number crunching, and simple number crunching at that. The effects of all the parts you use are made very clear and race strategy is laid out in the tutorial. It's absolutely nowhere near the impenetrable mire that something like Pro Cycling Manager is if you're not au fait with the real sport.

There are kids here, watch your language! :blush:

Also, the set-up's are reasonably easy to learn and master. It's basically three bars going from 0-100 (or -100 to +100, if you feel fancy), and every time you send your drivers out they give you an indication how hot/cold you are to the(ir) perfect car set up. The game even gives you a handy percentage of how far off base you are from the ultimate set up, and after a few tries it's really not that hard to guesstimate yourself into the 90%'s

As far as management sims go, this one is arguably the easiest and slickest to learn of all sims in a long long time. Just another testament to how Playsport managed to produce a great game on their first attempt, one that can be enjoyed by pseudo-casuals and sim-nuts alike.

• Like 2

Into Season 5, after a 4th place finish last year I was able to get shot of my Lead Designer and get someone truly game changing in. Wayne Bellows a 3 star designer who only has one skill but what a skill it is, at epic level he has "-1 Risk" which allows me to get a juicy risky great part with no risk attached. After starting the year with the 8th best car I now have the 5th best with three races left and am now 3rd in the championship. I'm even entertaining hopes of making a title challenge next year.

• Like 3

How big are your coffers, Hugo? Because iirc you'll need a good stack of cash just to maintain yourself at the next level. And you'd be better off purposfully grabbing a 2nd place just to give yourself more money in the future. And if the car's already on a winners level, it's easier/cheaper to keep it up there for one more season or so. Or you might even be able to build a car that is competitive in tier 2.

How's your driver situation, now? I wanna know more!

You can decline the promotion offer and stay at the level you are at. That's my plan for at least the first time I win the title. Plus once I have a title winning car, I plan on forcing through Very High Merit Payments to boost my cash supply for the step up. Once I have built centres for all components (possibly Epic ones for everything aside from the wings) and have 10Mil in the bank before the end of the season (which will become 30-40 after the Prize money and Next Years Car budget get added to it) then I'll make the step up. I want to get the car to the point where I don't have to any upgrades the next year if possible and still win the title to really give my finances a boost.

Driver wise, I let Santa Ana go at the end of Season 4. Her wage demands rose a lot and she has horrible marketability. (i.e. still 5% after four years) Kept Bao Tang on for another two years and brought in Emily Ashwood to replace Ana. She a 2.5 star driver with the potential for 4.5 but more importantly has 95% marketability, which with Tang's 78% and the teams 100% and that Helipad I built in between seasons means I now have access to 5 star sponsors! Making £1.9 Million profit a race now and thanks to one of my sponsors paying £1 million for 5th and above, most races can bring in nearly £3million.

Finished 2nd in season five and three races into season 6 I have the 4th best car (with the best suspension(H)) and am currently leading both the Drivers and Constructors titles. Depending on how the next couple of races go I may bring forward my plan to force through Very High Merit Payments 

Season 5 done and I did the double! Ashwood took the Driver's title with Tang 2nd and we walked the Constructors. Thanks to even better sponsors for the last few races we are now pulling in £2.4Million before any bonuses, which along with the prize money allowed me to upgrade both the suspension and engine centres to Epic level and build a Great centre for the Front Wing. Kept both drivers on for season 6, where I start with the best car (with only the engine not the best of everyone), so will only be doing minimal upgrading in an effort to build up my finances for promotion (going into the first race with just over £5mill and still have a sponsor paying £1mill for 5th and above so would ideally like to end the season with £15-25mill before prize money and build a Rear Wing centre with the prize money and go into next season with around £30mil to allow me build a good package for the next level).

Oh and I did manage to force through Very High Merit Payments, screw you little guys, you should be thrilled at assisting my promotion push:shifty::shifty:

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 01:49, Mad Jack said:

I'm really curious to see whether they try to go with a yearly release like Football Manager does. I think as its not rl based its not going to happen, but who knows really?

I'd rather see an update to the game engine and all that every few years and let the modders sort out the name changes and all that. And hopefully they can add stuff like MotoGP, Rally and Le Mans and all that.

• Like 3

Question!

With one race to go in Season 6 I've wrapped up another double and am now thinking about whether to accept promotion. I will have just shy of £16 million in the bank before prize money and next years car budget and have got Epic centres for everything aside for the wing which have Great, plus I am nearly finished upgrading my factory to level three (which will give me 6 slots for both performance and reliability improvements. After prize money and next years car I will have about £40 million in the bank and with the APS still having Spec engines (which is the first time I've seen it survive this long and it will still be there next season, I made sure to check) I should have enough to make a decent fist of things next year.

Only thing is, the APS are bringing in a rule that says from next season any newly promoted teams get a £10 million bonus payment. If I accept promotion this season I'll get that at the start of Season 7 right? That way I can start upgrading one of my wing centres now for free essentially.

2 hours ago, hugobomb said:

Question!

With one race to go in Season 6 I've wrapped up another double and am now thinking about whether to accept promotion. I will have just shy of £16 million in the bank before prize money and next years car budget and have got Epic centres for everything aside for the wing which have Great, plus I am nearly finished upgrading my factory to level three (which will give me 6 slots for both performance and reliability improvements. After prize money and next years car I will have about £40 million in the bank and with the APS still having Spec engines (which is the first time I've seen it survive this long and it will still be there next season, I made sure to check) I should have enough to make a decent fist of things next year.

Only thing is, the APS are bringing in a rule that says from next season any newly promoted teams get a £10 million bonus payment. If I accept promotion this season I'll get that at the start of Season 7 right? That way I can start upgrading one of my wing centres now for free essentially.

dewit

I did take the promotion, unfortunately I didn't get that £10 million. I still upgraded my rear wing centre, which turned out to be a slight mistake. After that £6 million spend, the new car took me down to £5 million left over. Then my new sponsor didn't pay as much as the old ones. Then I had to get rid of Tang because he devolved a rivalry with Ashwood and wouldn't sign a new deal, so he was replaced with a non paying driver. THEN I found out the chairmen was giving me a lot less a race for aiming for 8th in the APS. All in all I went from making £2 million a race before bonuses to £88,000 a race before bonuses (which was now £200,000 for 13th or better but I had to get it in both qualifying and the race itself to get the full amount).

I ended up 5th in the end, so hindsight being 20/20 I should have been more daring at the start of the season and gotten more cash per race. I ended up just grabbing whichever position sponsor paid the most upfront, cut the budget for next yeats car for the last 3 races AND needed a cash injection from the chairmen to be able to develop the car for the entire season and not stop with 1/3 of the season left.

Post season I replaced Ashwood with Tang and regained his lovely pay driver money  (thanks to be being in a higher championship he now pays me £500,000 a race rather the £250,000 je was before). Also managed to get some slightly better sponsors which mean even after restoring my next year's car budget back to max I now clear £550,000 a race profit and after building season 7s car I have £7.5 million left over to develop the car this year, which starts off as the 5th best, so aiming for 4th in the championship  (which now pays points to every position and not just the top 8 like last year).

Really strange goings on in the 2028 WMC. Steinmann and Rossini have been dominant for years, Esteban Ribeiro won six consectutive WDC's for Steinmann then Rossini took over, won a couple of WDC's and Constructor's championships. My two years at the top level, finished 6th on a fluke podium due to weather and then 4th behind the big two and Panther.

Now, this season, apparently Steinmann suddenly have the 4th best car and Rossini 6th, Panther are top, Rezzato Corsa have inexplicably suddenly got the best engine. I'm 7th but I've comfortably won the first two races from pole. :S

• 1 month later...

Just been absolutely mugged off by the head of the GMA there.

Paid 1 million to pick a vote, ended up tied at 6-6, so he had the deciding vote and voted against what I wanted. <_<

• Haha 2

I'm taking my newest (and truth be told first serious) career nice and slow. Doing one race weekend every couple days.

I took over Predator and have kept everything the same for now, driver wise, though I'm heavily scouting because at least one of my drivers will be gone by next year.

Finished 19th and 20th in race one. 15th and 16th in race two. And 9th and 13th in race three.