Metallica - "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct"

Hellraiser

I think since Metallica are the biggest Metal band on this planet this deserves it's own thread:

8 Years after the release of their last album "Death Magnetic" they will release their next album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" on the 18th of November. It will be a double album that is almost 80 minutes long. Tracklist looks as follows:

Disc One

1. Hardwired
  2. Atlas, Rise!
  3. Now That We’re Dead
  4. Moth Into Flame
  5. Am I Savage?
  6. Halo On Fire

Disc Two

1. Confusion
  2. Dream No More
  3. ManUNkind
  4. Here Comes Revenge
  5. Murder One
  6. Spit Out The Bone

Disc Three (Deluxe Edition Only)

• Lords Of Summer
  • Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
  • N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
  • Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
  • Plow (Riff Origins)
  • Sawblade (Riff Origins)
  • RIP (Riff Origins)
  • Lima (Riff Origins)
  • 91 (Riff Origins)
  • MTO (Riff Origins)
  • RL72 (Riff Origins)
  • Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
  • CHI (Riff Origins)
  • X Dust (Riff Origins)

The video for the title track:

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Six tracks per disc? :huh:

Isn't the limit of music you can put on a CD about 70 minutes?

About the song:

Meh. I like that they are trying to return to their roots and I like that it is short and to the point. But there is nothing that sands out and makes this track. No cool riff, no hook, no melody.

Edited by Hellraiser

I think Metallica have become a band that's not likely to produce material that's for me any more. Death Magnetic, while never being especially bad, didn't have any tracks that I felt like listening to more than a couple of times. St. Anger was a similar matter, and I only enjoyed a couple of tracks from Reload and Load. Ride The Lightning is my favourite Metallica album, and it's clear that that's an era that isn't going to be revisited. And you know what? That's fine. Even if I'm not a fan of their new material, their old stuff will still exist, and, if they make some new fans, that's no bad thing in my mind.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Iron Maiden did the same on their latest LP, but they had a 10, 13, and 18 minute track.

I'm surprised Metallica have gone for a double LP considering everything from Load onwards has been almost 80 minutes. Whereas before they would fade out the last track in order to fit it in, I guess they didn't want to cut short any track. Though the cynic in me thinks, because the RIAA classify double-albums as two sales, this is Metallica's way of near-guaranteeing it goes platinum in an age where only Taylor Swift achieves that.

The track itself does its job. A wee bit Kill 'Em All with modern production. I'm one of those cunts who prefer Metallica: Hard Rock Band so I'm not over the moon with it or anything. We'll see how the rest of the album plays out.... across those 2 discs. Those 2 needless discs.

6 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Isn't the limit of music you can put on a CD about 70 minutes?

Load lasts 78:59 which, apparently, is the absolute limit.

Edited by GA!

Blind Guardian did it for Beyond The Red Mirror too, must be some new trendy thing. *shrug*

12 hours ago, SRN said:

Would not surprise me if that turns out an actual lyric.

Nah, it would have to have "yeah!" on the end to properly be a Metallica lyric.

I'm taking the piss, but I love Hetfield and I love Metallica.

"Hardwired" sounds like anything off of Death Magnetic to me, nothing particularly fresh or exciting. I wasn't a big fan of Death Magnetic of St. Anger, I quite like "Some Kind of Monster" and "The Day That Never Comes" is a superb track but nah, I don't think Metallica are all that great anymore in terms of studio output. Still damn good live mind.

My favourite stuff by them is actually some of the 90's stuff, but up until then every album has a lot of great stuff on it. Since then, pretty much nothing that appeals to me sadly.

Iron Maiden's latest album was pretty good as well, some awesome songs on that double album and I'd say they know how to mix it up enough to stay strong into this era whereas Metallica maybe do not.

• Like 2

I think the song is fine. The lyrics are clunky, bit its a decent, quick, short, thrashy track. It's never gonna set the world alight, but you could place that track in a live set between two of their longer ones to break them up quite nicely.

I didn't hate the new song, but it just sounds like it could have been another track on Death magnetic (which I liked for the record) and I was expecting something a bit more than that after 8 years. I felt this song was both musically and lyrically lazy, like they just came up with something mega basic and then said "let's play this really fast YEAH!!"

If the album is gonna have some long tracks, I'm interested in that. I'm not writing it off yet, as mentioned Iron Maiden's latest offering absolutely blew it out of the park after the previous 2 had been somewhat boring (not bad, just dull). 

Oh and I'm totally the guy who likes the catchy Metallica stuff more than the mega thrashy stuff. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So sad...after all these years, Metallica finally figured out any album they put out will atleast go platinum, so they finally decide to put out a good song

On 18/08/2016 at 22:53, Gazz said:

Cypress Hill put out Skull and Bones as a two disc, despite the fact that it would definitely have fit on one, they did it because the two halves were thematically different. Don't know if the Metallica album can claim the same though.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 10:19, K said:

Cypress Hill put out Skull and Bones as a two disc, despite the fact that it would definitely have fit on one, they did it because the two halves were thematically different. Don't know if the Metallica album can claim the same though.

Skull and Bones weren't just thematically different but musically different too.  One was a straight rap album, the other was a rap/metal album

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lint said:

Skull and Bones weren't just thematically different but musically different too.  One was a straight rap album, the other was a rap/metal album

It's one of my favourite music marketing stories. They sent out Rap Superstar to all the rap radio stations, they sent Rock Superstar out to all the rock radio stations, and doubled the amount of exposure they would have gotten otherwise. Brilliant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K said:

It's one of my favourite music marketing stories. They sent out Rap Superstar to all the rap radio stations, they sent Rock Superstar out to all the rock radio stations, and doubled the amount of exposure they would have gotten otherwise. Brilliant.

It also helps that both albums were fantastic

• Like 1