Television Shows That Over Stayed Their Welcome

Draevyn

You mean Grissom? Gibbs is NCIS.

Miami would have been 1000x better if the episode where Horatio was supposedly killed off hadn't been a fake out. David Caruso is one of the most wooden actors I've ever seen, and he only has about three different facial expressions: Bored, Constipated, Smug, and Blank. Well, five really. But his angry face looks like a cross between bored and constipated.

*edited to add* I only watched New York due to Gary Sinise, and his Criminal Minds spin off is a lot better.

CSI: Cyber I actually enjoyed, but I see why it got cancelled. I like how their finale acted as a season or series one, so they knew the writing could be on the wall.

I like the Rush Hour series, and its already been axed.

Edited by GhostMachine

Dexter is, of course, the #1 answer. No show embodies Showtime's inability to let its successful shows end gracefully more.

Another one: The Office (US), by about two seasons.

• Like 1

Burn Notice stayed on air 2 seasons longer then it should've.  

I hate watched the 2 or so seasons of Sons of Anarchy

• Like 1

Sons of Anarchy was one of those shows that by season 4 the writing was on the wall, but it still stayed around for another 3 seasons. I stuck with it because I wanted to see if it ended what I felt was going to be the 'right' way, and even then the ending wound up being a copout. 

Weeds and TWD are good choices too. I haven't been able to bring myself to give a shit about TWD since like season 3.

• Like 2

Here's my list:

Lost - In my opinion this was an amazing show the first two seasons.  Season 3 dipped in quality, but was still good.  4-6 fell off a cliff for me.

X-Files - I never really enjoyed the main storyline as it seemed they made it up as they went along, which I guess most shows do.  Once Duchovny left, that should have been the end of the show.  There were some solid episodes after he departed, but not enough worth continuing the show.

The Walking Dead - First season was awesome. I started to waver in the second season as they added more episodes, which meant a lot of filler stuff.  I've read about some of the other seasons and it's the same story arc every year since the first one.  Find a safe haven-nevermind it's not safe-group gets seperated-regroup-repeat

49 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Sons of Anarchy was one of those shows that by season 4 the writing was on the wall, but it still stayed around for another 3 seasons. I stuck with it because I wanted to see if it ended what I felt was going to be the 'right' way, and even then the ending wound up being a copout. 

Weeds and TWD are good choices too. I haven't been able to bring myself to give a shit about TWD since like season 3.

Well I don't give a shit about y...Oh that's not true I love ya Clouds! But your opinion is awful!! :angry:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

You're background noise! :angry:

Hey, if your recent posts are anything to go by, my Walking Dead should be your WWE. It's clearly jumped the shark for you.

Survivor - I still watch this show but man...this shit is just too played out for me. When your big draw is basically returning players from 10+ years ago, I'm done with you. Doesn't help that the last good season they had was Survivor Cagayan thanks to its winner, Tony Vlachos. Its basically for every good season we get, we get 3-4 bad ones. 

Animal Kingdom on TNT - just finished the first season how the fuck did this get renewed for a 2nd season? Better yet, how could people call it the "SoCal Sopranos?" A big slap in the face to the sopranos. 

As much as I love House I feel that the final two seasons where a bit underwhelming. They made a big deal about House finally getting clean in the beginning of Season 6 only to have him relapse again in Season 7 when Cuddy dumps him and people act like it's no big deal at all. Not even Wilson seems that concerned about House going on a binge in a hotel room with hookers. Then we get Masters who I liked and in my opinion added something to the show. But unfortunately there is this unwritten rule that the female doctor on House's team has to look like a model so she leaves again to be replaced by a returning 13 who does exactly nothing and buggers off 3 episodes into Season 8 because Hollywood is calling.

Lisa Edelstein is now gone as well which is a shame. I have now illusions about House and Cuddy ever getting together again after House drove his car into Cuddy's dining room in the Season 7 finale but it would've been nice if she had gotten a proper final appearance. We do get two new doctors. Dr. Park who seemed like a neutered, Asian version of Masters and Dr. Adams whose name I had to look up because her character was so bland that I couldn't remember a thing about her other than that there was another female doctor on the team. But she is attractive and since Dr. Park is the one with all the quirks I suppose the writers thought that was enough. But despite all that I liked Season 8 more than Season 7 and the finale was great.

Although I wouldn't classify it as a happy ending like so many others seem to do. Yes, House and Wilson drive into the sunset together but Wilson still has terminal cancer. Eventually he will die. And once that happens what is next for House? Would it really be that easy for him to make a fresh start, meet new people and to not be a doctor? Who else does he have left in his life now that Wilson is dead? Foreman who may or may not know that House is alive? I suppose he could live together with Alvie. But that wouldn't be a permanent solution. Then there is is drug dependencies. I think loved ones dying is the kind of thing that throws a former drug addict off course and cause them to relapse. And given that House was such an extreme addict I think it is a certainty that he will relapse. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I think it's likely that House would end up as a junkie on the streets.

Edited by Hellraiser

House produced some brilliant TV and some truly amazing episodes (particularly the double-header where House is trying to trigger his memories to work out what happened with the bus crash. That was some of my favourite telly).

The start of series 6 in the psych hospital were very good episodes too and I'd agree that I think after that it never quite reached those same heights again. However it would have been a shame to not see those episodes. They could have worked as a finale though, as a Christmas special or something.

• Like 1

House should have ended either after Season 6, or when Cuddy left. I only watched, at most, three episodes from the final season.

Sons of Anarchy I gave up on once they got back from Ireland. Whichever season that was. (2 or 3, I think?)

Arrow I believe jumped the shark a couple of seasons ago.

Comedy-wise, Friends definitely went on two seasons too long. Though you could probably argue three, and I wouldn't fight over it. 

Cheers and Frazier both went on a season longer than they should have. I've had some people say Cheers should have ended when Shelly Long left, and I call bullcrap.

Night Court went on a season too long, also.

Edited by GhostMachine

12 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Although I wouldn't classify it as a happy ending like so many others seem to do. Yes, House and Wilson drive into the sunset together but Wilson still has terminal cancer. Eventually he will die. And once that happens what is next for House? Would it really be that easy for him to make a fresh start, meet new people and to not be a doctor? Who else does he have left in his life now that Wilson is dead? Foreman who may or may not know that House is alive? I suppose he could live together with Alvie. But that wouldn't be a permanent solution. Then there is is drug dependencies. I think loved ones dying is the kind of thing that throws a former drug addict off course and cause them to relapse. And given that House was such an extreme addict I think it is a certainty that he will relapse. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I think it's likely that House would end up as a junkie on the streets.

Actually I think the whole point of this was that House only kept himself out of jail and alive so that he could be with Wilson during his final days, however long that was going to be and the he was going to join him in death to be honest. I don't think House had any intentions of living longer than that and becoming anything.

• Like 1