2016 Rio Summer Paralympics

Lineker

• Admin

2016 Summer Paralympics logo.svg
7th-18th September

Russia will not compete at next month’s Paralympics in Rio after losing an appeal against a ban imposed for state-sponsored doping. The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) upheld the International Paralympic Committee's (IPC) ban on all Russian competitors. The IPC made the decision in light of the McLaren report, which detailed a state-sponsored doping programme operated by Russia.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on pure guesswork here, but if this is just to send a message it's a harsh one. In my head the Ivan Drago regime isn't really concentrating on that sport where people with cerebral palsy throw a ball over their heads.

On 31/08/2016 at 18:10, Colly said:

I'm going on pure guesswork here, but if this is just to send a message it's a harsh one. In my head the Ivan Drago regime isn't really concentrating on that sport where people with cerebral palsy throw a ball over their heads.

Apparently the uncovered state sponsored doping programme included doping in paralympic sports so it seems fair to me, considering I thought Russia should have been blanket banned from the Olympics in the first place.

• Like 1