TV Shows that deserved more

JasonM

There was that spell of very similar Lost-y sci-fi shows that I watched all of and all got cancelled fairly rapidly, Flashforward, The Event, Revolution, Terra Nova etc. I'm not convinced any of them would've been any good (though I agree FF had a top cast), but it's made sure I don't watch any of these without knowing they'll hit at least season 2 and likely get a reasonable ending.

Revolution was horrible but I forced myself through it, but I had to tap out of Under the Dome.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

The Event, Revolution, Terra Nova

Oh God I remember them. The Event didn't grab me from pilot, Revolution annoyed me because one of the characters turned out to be literally a plot device (they had something to do with the electricity going out/coming back built into them, and they had been searched for during the first half of the season without that knowledge, and promptly died not long after they were found so they served zero other purpose) and it wasn't that great anyway, and Terra Nova I saw all the way to the end but thought it was pretty bad and the had a massively disappointing lack of dinosaurs despite the advertising.

I'm a tad worried the same fates might befall Westworld, but like the sucker I am, I'll try it out.

FlashForward started so good but lost any momentum it had by taking what felt like a year long mid-season break, so much so I forgot about it when it came back and have never seen the end of the first series. One thing I did hate about it was a lot of episodes were 57 minutes of nothing happening and then suddenly a revelation in the last minute.

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed both Revolution and Under the Dome. I thought the former lost its way a bit, but still had potential to bounce back when it was cancelled. The latter, however, struck me as something that he show runners didn't know what to do once they'd run out of book to reference so it went all over the shop.

9 minutes ago, Vince Russo said:

Stargate Atlantis. Cancelled way too soon, forcing them to write a finale that was too rushed and too overloaded, even with so much left out.

Totally forgot about SG:A, I'm a huge fan of Stargate in general but personally I enjoyed Atlantis a bit more than than SG1. The characters were perfect, stuff like the McKay/Shepard guy-love, and their uneasy alliance with the very people they had to stop (Wraith) to defeat a bigger threat.

Season 1 started slowly, but once Season 2 came around and they got the majority of the cast set up the series really became great. And the characters just felt much more 'human' than the SG1 main cast, who had become completely untouchable and would walk through every major threat like it was nothing. 

I agree that the ending was rushed, and the promised sequel-film never happened due to MGM going all but tits up. And honestly, the series had legs to go as long as SG1 did.

And then came Universe, which was even worse in that regard, although the 'darker and edgier' tone didn't really fit the Stargate setting.

3 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

And then came Universe, which was even worse in that regard, although the 'darker and edgier' tone didn't really fit the Stargate setting.

Yeah, I only ever watched SG1, but Universe pilot and first few eps just felt like "people like edgy and sleek looking shows now", and lacked the charm of SG1 for me, so I dropped it.

Oh yeah, I forgot that I watched Flash Forward. I was pretty young at the time, but I thought it at least ended well, and there was enough to get me back in. 

I could've done with more Party Down, but probably not at the expense of Adam Scott in Parks and Rec, but that's besides the point. 

Angel is a great shout, too. 

Oh, and the biggest one for me, Twin Peaks needed a third season, like, straight away.

I found Revolution to be hard to watch because the lead female character was by far the most frustrating, self-absorbed lead character since... well Kate in Lost. I could not bring myself to have any symapthy for her or support her in any way so I gave up watching.

I did like Alcatraz which got cancelled after its first series although from what I understand pretty much everyone else didn't like it.

Yeah he was the main sidekick, the plot itself was mind-bendingly weird but they did the best they could with it. The show itself ended with the main character being "killed" but that was supposed to just be a cliffhanger, instead it was never brought back so the show definitively ends with her dying and that being it.

Both were US Fox productions, so not really suprising. Fox were infamous for barely advertising and then cancelling series before they managed to get momentum for a period in the 00's and early 10's. Not quite so bad these days AFAIK, but the world will never get over Firefly.

They just so happened to coincide with my time in Japan where there were only 3 channels that had English language programmes that weren't news or sport: Fox Japan, Mystery (Monk, Midsomer Murders etc) and another drama channel that had stuff like Law and Order.

The Finder was a spinoff from Bones and had Michael Clarke Duncan in it before he died.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Oh, and the biggest one for me, Twin Peaks needed a third season, like, straight away.

That's still on, right?  Believe that's happening in the next year or so.

I'm going to get some hate for this, but I never really liked Firefly.  Didn't need any more of that.

Party Down is a good shout though, if they could get Adam Scott to stay on while also simultaneously doing Parks and Rec.

• Like 1