RIP Gene Wilder

Szumi

No :(

Gene Wilder, who regularly stole the show in such comedic gems as “The Producers,” “Blazing Saddles,” “Young Frankenstein,” “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Stir Crazy,” died Monday at his home in Stamford, Conn. His nephew Jordan Walker-Pearlman said he died of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. He was 83.

He had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 1989.

The comic actor, who was twice Oscar nominated, for his role in “The Producers” and for co-penning “Young Frankenstein” with Mel Brooks, usually portrayed a neurotic who veered between total hysteria and dewy-eyed tenderness. “My quiet exterior used to be a mask for hysteria,” he told Time magazine in 1970. “After seven years of analysis, it just became a habit.”

*sigh*, I thought the first half of the year gave us enough deaths, but I guess we have to add one more to the growing list. R.I.P. Gene Wilder, one of my absolute favorites growing up. I used to come home from preschool and watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every day and still watch it once every year around my birthday, this year will be difficult though . Thanks for all the amazing work you've done, from Young Frankenstein to Blazing Saddles to Stir Crazy, See No Evil Hear No Evil and countless other memorable roles, but most of all for showing me a whole world of pure imagination. You will be missed, but I take solace knowing Richard Pryor and Gilda Radner are waiting for you on the other side with your own personal golden ticket, and I know you have so much time and so little to do (strike that, reverse it), so with that I say to you "Good Day Sir."

• Like 1

I'm actually about 4 chapters from finishing reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to my 4 year old. I attempted to go full Wilder for the "Rowers keep on rowing" bit and basically scared the shit out her. He's brilliant. :(

• Like 1