Battlefield 1

apsham

Anyone else grab the beta? XB1 users in the Rewards program seemingly got the code en masse - so there may be a few of you.

I played a match last night and I really liked it! By the nature of the game it's simplified a bit, but still really solid. The air battles are ten times better and manageable because there aren't any stupidly talented helicopter pilots wrecking everything and anyone.

I hit a horse with a plane though. :(

• Like 2

I managed a whole 2 games before I lost connection. 

I did seem to enjoy those two games though once I got into the swing of things. I'm still shit at flying planes however. 

1 hour ago, apsham said:

They got DDoS'd the same as Blizzard the other day, not really on them all that much.

I did manage to play it a bit. Its quite fun but tricky with the control pad. When I get a proper desk sorted out I can play with WASD.

I do love riding around on a horse.

• 1 month later...

I just had an awesome multiplayer match in the same game as Dragsy (don't even know if he knew I was there) where I spent the last half of the game holding down the castle in the Ottoman map as a light tank. I have to say that Battlefield has seriously stepped it up this time around and created a game where you don't have to manufacture experiences that feel scripted.

Ha! I didn't. I did see a suggestion afterwards to join the game you were in (you're Thrillhaus, right?),  but I'd quit out to watch the Bears game. Were you allied? 

I came into the thread to marvel at how good it looks, but I'm utterly lost with the actual game play. No idea how I should play any class, I can't find my footing as I'm just instantly shot to pieces, is been pretty frustrating so far. Obviously, I'm not a series veteran; I've played a bit of 3 and 4,and had much the same experience. 

P. S. Fuck snipers. I don't get fascination. 

Thrillhauus, yeah.

I popped in and we were at the end of a city map - I couldn't join your squad (actually it wouldn't let me join ANY squad) but when that was over I played the desert map the whole time as an Allied and honestly never saw you the entire time on the map. But I love how it gave me the option to join into your game the second I logged in.

• Like 1

I've only completed the prologue and the first mission but the story already feels about 10x better than previous editions of Battlefield. 

I think it's hard to say really - I'm tired of most FPS games, having recently went back and tried to play Black Ops which I held in my mind as the cream of the crop and just couldn't get into it. The prologue was more of an experience than anything else and it was a good one - they crafted a really good story that isn't over the top and stayed about as true as a game could to the source material while still being fun. Past the story mode though (5 or 6 stories each taking about 1-2 hours to complete) there is only multiplayer. If you want to try it - you can get EA Access and do the trial where you'll get the full game for 10 hours (full... kinda you can only do the prologue and first story for the single player) so you can decide from there.

EA Access is like - 5 dollars for the month and you'll have access to a ton of other games. If you don't like it you can go to your account settings on Xbox.com and get a refund within 30 days even as far as I know.

If you're not into your fps games, I'd probably leave it. There's so much going on all the time and it's not a simple case of racking up kills. If you don't have a squad or a mic, it's not that enjoyable. 

That said, if you're wanting to get into fps games, it's worth putting the time in. It's much more rewarding than most shooters I've played  (admittedly, I'm not a huge fps fan myself and my stick skills say leave a lot to be desired).

Its easily then best looking game on the console though, there's nothing I'd recommend more for showing off the machine's graphical capabilities. 

I found my calling tonight, as a medic. Everything just clicked, my teammates were loving the novelty of having a medic who, y'know actually healed and revived them and I was able to stay alive for more than 20 seconds a pop by sticking with folk who defended me. 

One thing I'm loving already is the stories it's giving us to tell. All night me and my party were sharing war stories, highlights that we just don't seem to get with other games - or at least don't inspire us enough to tell. For example, my squad of three had pushed into a bunker in the forest map and found another squad getting overrun by enemies. We helped clear them out, but they were bombarding us with grenades and dynamite. Somewhere along the line, I lost my squad (turns out after taking the point they'd moved on to the next), so I was dashing around fixing up the rest of this squad that we'd bumped into and helped push back the enemy until it was safe, with no comms. Then got orders from my leader and had to force my way through the forest to the next point where I was eventually reunited with them and helped them destroy a train. Probably doesn't sound like much, but it felt like a movie to us, and we were telling each other the same story from different points of view (and for the benefit of others who joined us after) long into the next match.