Connected Songs

Benji

So GA reminded me the other day of Cold Fairyland and Lindsey Stirling, and during a listen to the pair, I noticed that two songs linked well together when one followed the other. In addition, they also weirdly had names that tied together - Cold Fairyland's track being "The Flood", and Stirling's song being "Master of Tides". In my head, I'd always thought of "The Flood" being a final boss battle music to an FFIX sequel I had totally fanfic'd like the thirteen year old girl I am, and in my head now "Master of Tides" has become the upbeat follow up music used in the ending cut scene as the good guys start to overcome the villain.

So yeah, I thought this would make for an interesting topic - what songs do you consider connected? Be it intentionally by artists, by coincidence, or just you thinking they work well following one another on a playlist.

Oh, and of course, here's the two songs to compare (this version of The Flood isn't as good as the recorded track IMO, if you have Spotify or Google Music Unlimited or whatever, I'd say listen to them on there).

• Admin

A couple from my head

The Killers have their "Murder Trilogy" of Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf - Midnight Show - Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, telling the story of a relationship that goes bad and the guy kills the girl. Supposedly Miss Atomic Bomb is a prequel to Mr Brightside too.

And less connected songs, but connected albums, with Radiohead's OK Computer and In Rainbows, with the whole 01 & 10 playlist connecting all the songs together into one giant album

From the top of my head:

Dream Theater have the Twelve-step Suite written by former drummer Mike Portnoy when he was still in the band. It is comprised of five songs. One on each album from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence to Black Clouds & Silver Linings. As the title suggests the songs deal with Portnoy's alcoholism and his process of getting sober.

Helloween have "Keeper On The Seven Keys" on "Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II" released in 1988 which is about a hero defeating evil by throwing 7 keys he got from 7 Keepers into 7 seas. Then in 2005 they did "Keeper Of The Seven Keys: The Legacy" which includes the song "King For A 1000 Years" which vaguely continues the story. Apparently the Keepers were betrayed. Someone told the evil force the location of the 7th key in the 7th sea and it is now looking for someone to serve as his terrestrial hand to presumably hunt down the other keys in the other seas.

They also have "Perfect Gentlemen" from the "Master Of The Rings" album which deals with someone who is a modern-day Casanova. 16 years later on the album "7 Sinners" they released the song "Who Is Mr. Madman?" in which we learn that all his lust has driven him insane and that he ended up in an asylum.

Metallica have the Unforgiven Trilogy.

Megadeth have "Hangar 18" on "Rust In Peace" and "Return to Hangar" on "The World Need's A Hero"

Iron Maiden have their songs about the prostitute Charlotte. "Charlotte The Harlot" from their debut, "22, Acacia Avenue" from "Number Of The Beast", "Hooks In You" from "No Prayer For The Dying" and the final song "From Here To Eternity" on "Fear Of The Dark".

Rage have a number of songs about their mascot the "Soundchaser". According to them those creatures hyprids with organic and mechanic parts. They were created by the Great Old Ones from Lovecraft stories when they ruled the earth. They are blind creatures who have a very advanced sense of hearing which they used to hunt their prey. When the Great Old Ones fell into their deathlike sleep these Soundchasers withdrew into a cave system under the Arctic. They have used them on their covers for the first time in 1988 on the "Perfect Man" album. The first time they were mentioned was in the song "Lost In The Ice" which is about a team of archeologists finding the caves these creatures lived in on an expedition in the Artic. You could also interpret the lyrics of the song "Refuge" from the same album to be told from the perspective of the last surviving Soundchasers wanting to be left alone. In 2003 they released an entire concept album about the subject called "Soundchaser".

Accept wrote a song called "Generation Clash" for their "Eat The Heat" album from 1989 with new singer David Reece. When original singer Udo Dirkschneider returned in the early 90s they wrote "Generation Clash II".

Tool's "Parabol" and "Parabola" are a great pair of directly linked tracks.

There's an album by the fantastically named King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard called "Nonagon Infinity" which is supposedly an infinite loop, so all nine songs are connected perfectly. Can't say I've listened to it to verify that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and Blink 182's "Adams Song".

For anyone who didn't know this (although it's quite well known apparently).

"Take your time, hurry up. The choice is yours, don't be late."  vs. "I took my time, I hurried up. The choice was mine, I didn't think enough"

I don't feel like explaining it in detail because it is convoluted (ie, long story), but at another board I go to, one of the other people who posts there has come to the conclusion that KISS's "Detroit Rock City", Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting", and Billy Joel's "Piano Man" are all connected. 

The gist of it is that Piano Man and Detroit Rock City both take place at 9 o'clock on a Saturday night, while Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting takes place at 7 o'clock on a Saturday and all 3 songs have some lyrics that match up with each other. He says all 3 songs involve the same bar, more or less, while there may be some character crossover with the Elton John and Billy Joel song, and sort of trying to shoehorn Detroit Rock City in. 

*edited to add* I can buy Piano Man and Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting being connected, but I'm not sure about Detroit Rock City being connected other than the day and time.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1