CDs are still cool

Cymbols

57 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

So there's an entertainment store in the shopping centre in Cardiff that's having a closing down sale, and uh, clearly they over bought some random stuff and are having a hard time shifting it. For example, they had one copy of Carly Rae Jepsen's newest album for £4. They had loads of copies of the deluxe edition of the same album for £3. Okay, sure. They didn't have any Green Day, YMAS, and a few other mainstream artists, but they also had like seven copies of a Neon Trees album. £3? Fuck it, why not. Also picked up a Young Guns record because it was only £6. 

Which shop's closing down?

Also, which Young Guns album?

Also also, good to see that they recognise adding more Carly Rae Jepsen actually reduces the value of any CD.

9 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Which shop's closing down?

Also, which Young Guns album?

Also also, good to see that they recognise adding more Carly Rae Jepsen actually reduces the value of any CD.

The one up by John Lewis

Ones and Zeroes

Actually a terrible opinion

• 2 weeks later...

I buy CDs.

Here's my collection: https://rateyourmusic.com/~Larmer28

I do rip them and put them on Google Play Music (it's free) so I can stream my collection anywhere. I hardly ever have to do that though, since I play my CDs at home (hifi system) and in the car (car stereo only plays CDs).

I order a lot from Amazon. But also a lot of other online stores and there's still quite a few brick and mortar shops where I live.

6 hours ago, metalman said:

Regarding the statement in the thread title: no they're bloody not.

i used to work in HMV when I was a little undergrad - FIVE YEARS AGO NOW - and whenever anyone bought a CD I just thought "omg you lame ass punk".

Said the lame ass punk selling it to them :P

If you hate CDs, why of all places in the retail universe would you choose to work at HMV?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in Target today and thought I'd stop by the music section. Found the Beastie Boys' "License to Ill" and Three Dog Night's Greatest Hits for $3 each. I haven't bought CDs in probably a decade. I had no idea they could be had for that cheap. I only really listen to them in my car, but I'm in my car for a few hours each week, so I may go back and pick up more now that I know. 

• 1 year later...

Sad thing is, I still have all my old cassette tapes. But not a damn thing to play them on right now. 

Haven't had a CD player in years. I didn't feel the need to purchase a new one when my last one went kaput. I play CDs on my computer when I am at home, use portablr devices (Kindle, mp3 player) for music when I'm out and about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to the used bookstore I frequent, which also carries cds, vinyl albums, DVDs, Blue-Rays, video games, etc, and browsed some of the CDs on the way to my real objective, and had a few laughs. Some of their used CDs were more expensive than new ones I could buy elsewhere. And they had nothing by Kamelot, which I might have actually purchased if the price was decent.

• 1 month later...

For the sum total of just £2, I got the following wandering around charity shops in Bridgend earlier:

The Darkness - Permission to Land
Funeral for a Friend - Hours
The Automatic - Not Accepted Anywhere
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Catfish and The Bottlemen - The Balcony
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade (Single)

Mid-2000s are alive and well.

Also, I went into 8 different charity shops, and 6 of them had a copy of the first Ting Tings album, which I'm sure must be the highest concentration of Ting Tings albums anywhere in Wales.

I've now tripled the number of 2019 albums I own by buying four more.

Bastille - Doom Days
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - The End of Suffering
Royal Republic - Club Majesty
Sum 41 - Order In Decline

Honestly, in May, I easily thought 2019 was the weakest year for new albums for me in a while, but it's pulling it back. Roam's new one 'Smile Wide' was disappointing but I've got The Faim's debut 'State of Mind' coming in a couple of weeks and I've got high hopes for it.