Football Manager 2017

Lineker

Does anyone else find this to be the easiest FM in recent memory?

Never really played too much lower league stuff so I started a game with Leyton Orient after seeing how poorly they were doing in real life. Won League 2 in first season, won League 1 in second season, on track (after 30 games) for promotion from The Championship in third season. On the way to this I've lost a total of 9 league games over 3 years (quite a few draws though).

I actually don't particularly want to get promoted this season as if I do I'll go in:
a) still playing at Brisbane Road (board announced a new stadium before the start of this season but nothing since then).
b) I'll have the weakest Premier League squad ever (and I doubt I'll get much money too improve it).
c) My tactics more than likely won't work (up until now I've played a basic attacking 4-4-2 and won most games by simply outscoring the opponent - very few clean sheets kept).

Probably my most bonkers game I've ever had. I only started it for a bit of an experiment with lower league football but have simply continued after being dumbfounded by my success.

• Like 1

Barrow 2020/21 and I just had the match of a fucking lifetime...

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/DZ61p2N.png

Despite a last gasp effort, we wound up a single fucking goal away from automatic promotion. That was literally all that was in it. Can't fault the players, those 20 or so minutes before and after half time I was convinced they were going to do it.

Oh well, off to the play offs of this save we go!

• Like 2

I've just got through January 2020 in my Wealdstone game. I'm also looking for a double promotion... into League 2. Currently sitting in 3rd spot 6 pts off the top.
I need to start picking up wins where it counts. Draws against promotion contenders is good. Draw games with relegation contenders is not. I need to win the league for promotion. I don't think my team has it in them to get through playoffs.

I've also just lost to Crystal Palace in the FA Cup Third Round Replay after a 0-0 draw away to them.

Barrow 2021/22. Yup, I've not gone anywhere, though not for lack of trying. Had a load of interviews, mostly MLS, but nobody wants me, so I'm still at Barrow for now on a rolling contract as the board won't offer me what I want. 7 days from the start of the season and I have signed 13 players and am still under my wage budget (once again, the lowest in the league) and have only got rid of people via loan or contract expiry. So the game is in a weird place at the moment, will I see out the season? Will I get a new contract? Will I move to pastures new? Will I manage to achieve a never before seen triple back to back promotions (lol, no)? All to come!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

Barrow 2021/22. Yup, I've not gone anywhere, though not for lack of trying. Had a load of interviews, mostly MLS, but nobody wants me, so I'm still at Barrow for now on a rolling contract as the board won't offer me what I want. 7 days from the start of the season and I have signed 13 players and am still under my wage budget (once again, the lowest in the league) and have only got rid of people via loan or contract expiry. So the game is in a weird place at the moment, will I see out the season? Will I get a new contract? Will I move to pastures new? Will I manage to achieve a never before seen triple back to back promotions (lol, no)? All to come!

Like I said before try to get an international job managing some U21's. It raises your profile a bit. 

• Like 1

I honestly almost quit the fifth time the board refused my contract requests, but I've built a great legacy here and don't want to leave on bad terms (though I do want to leave, the board are making it a pain in the ass), but I'll try and do what I did at Kidderminster and establish them in the league for this half season for now.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Both Austria and South Korea want me :o South Korea are offering £10k more (does wage actually do anything for your reputation? I always assumed it did), but Austria is probably a better overall opportunity. Thoughts?

Benji: Thank you, Myke, you are truly amazing for giving me that idea
Myke: Oh, stop it
*Benji puts on robe and wizard hat*
Myke: No, seriously, stop it

• Like 4

It was quite hilarious once before they brought in manager negotiations, when after winning everything and having a world class reputation, I applied to become manager of then Conference South Wycombe and they gave me a £90,000 a week contract when the club wage budget was £4,500 per week.

• Like 3

I went against all of my Jewish instincts and spent big on a youth player £60oddMillion for a 20 year old playmaker. I've spent small amounts on players with high potential and most of them have broken into the first team, my CB pairing are players I brought in my first season and only now in season four/five they are first choice, and some of them are doing well now. 

I think it is paying off because I just got all three players in the young player of the month for January.

• Like 1