Football Manager 2017

Lineker

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Give us a "call reporter an ostrich" option too.

The 3D engine still looks shoddy to me, but it's not an important feature for me as long as the matches themselves work properly. I almost always pick up Football Manager games after the annual March patch anyway, so I'll be taking my usual "wait and see" approach, but I can see myself giving it a go at some stage. I've enjoyed even the worse Championship Manager/Football Manager games, and it would take a lot for me to be put off completely.

It's more the AI and the actual decision making / game play rather than the 3D for me. 

I couldn't care what it looks like but the match engine at times has been extremely frustrating.  For example for me left sided players and at times the right winger are ineffective yet the right full back would be the best player in the world and getting loads of assists. Or some of the decision making of players....like players will be in their box and instead of playing a cutback they'll shoot when they are on the edge of the line and the only way they'll get a goal is if the ball goes through the goalkeeper. 

Yeah, decision making from players is a big one that they need to make better. I didn't have 2016 but in 2015 and all previous versions some of the chances that went begging because of player stupidity was ridiculous. It's fine on the odd occasion as you do get instances of players being greedy, but it happened far too often. If there's a player square of you when the keeper is rushing out and you have the chance to score a sweaty FIFA goal, you fucking take it, especially when we've lost 3 on the bounce!

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Does this AI nonsense only apply when playing in 3D or is it in all formats? I've not bought many of the recent games and the ones I have I've not played too much, but I never liked the idea of 3D and always loved 2D.

All formats, the only thing that changes is what they show you.

Beta is reportedly dropping today in a couple of hours if it hasn't already.

Trying to decide on what challenges to try this year, can someone suggest any I haven't thought of?

Hometown Hero (Permanent Leicester manager)
National Hero (Permanent England manager)
Career Mode (Must accept any job offer higher than current position)
San Marino Challenge (Manage San Marino club and country until World Cup victory)
British Steel Challenge (Win every trophy in Britain)
Hexagon Challenge (Win top continental club trophies plus World Cup)

Not sure if its a named challenge, but I've always liked the idea of taking one of the original 12 Football League clubs (Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke (now Stoke City), West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers) and turning them into Premier League champions. Obviously some of those are easier than others, so you could maybe limit it to teams outside of the Prem - or even just Preston and try to recreate the original Invincibles.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Trying to decide on what challenges to try this year, can someone suggest any I haven't thought of?

Lineker's Triangle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benji said:

Manage all the clubs Lineker supports going from North to South East to South West and repeat?

Will you PC be able to handle loading every single league in football in order to complete this challenge? 

• Like 1

Found an interesting one...

The Sir Alex Ferguson challenge

In this one you'll have to emulate life of one of the greatest managers that ever managed a football club. Just like Manchester United appointed Sir Alex as their manager when they were almost at the bottom of the table, you'll have to take over a club that is also in the relegation zone!

By this we mean the following; run your game till November 6 and take over a club that is in the 19th position on that date and try to replicate what Sir Alex did with Man United. So you'll have to win 13 Premier league titles, five FA Cups and two Champion Leagues.

You probably won't get a big club like United, but that makes the challenge so much more interesting! Oh and why that exact date, because United appointed Sir Alex on the exact date in 1986!

It's just a bad move all round, especially as 1. you can't turn it off and 2. it's decided at the start of the save but you won't know until you've sunk hours and potentially days into the save what Brexit - if you're getting one at all - you'll get. It'll completely ruin a save for me if I, several seasons in, have to sell half my squad cos I can only have like 3 non-UK players.