Music that is great

Lint

So in contrast to the Music That Is Awful thread, what songs have you heard that you think are fantastic.  Covers are good, originals are great, but if you've heard songs that you've thought "Yea, that is a great song", go ahead and share it

For me, one of them is Metallica's cover of "Turn The Page".  Hetfields vocals are wonderful throughout it, the music is appropriately haunting for what the video went for, and the video itself is one of those few videos that actually brought a little bit of a tear to my eye.

Nudity is censored, but still might be considered NSFW for some people

Isn't this just gonna be people posting their favorite songs? You get into to subjective taste when you climb out of the shitpile of out of tune and overproduced stuff.

1 hour ago, Kirkland said:

Isn't this just gonna be people posting their favorite songs? You get into to subjective taste when you climb out of the shitpile of out of tune and overproduced stuff.

Don't be sour.

But also, Tim Barry:

I have not always been a fan of folk-style music, but something about Tim Barry and this song makes me feel so serene and both happy and melancholy at the same time.

Powerful music, to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lint said:

So in contrast to the Music That Is Awful thread, what songs have you heard that you think are fantastic.  Covers are good, originals are great, but if you've heard songs that you've thought "Yea, that is a great song", go ahead and share it

It's called the punk thread :shifty:

• Like 3

I've said it before in a different thread but The Lightning Seeds are brilliant. Ian Broadie has a knack for writing the perfect 3 minute pop song. And not to mention penning the unofficial English national anthem >_>

This song just gets me pumped up every time I hear it.

And sometimes I like to listen to something a bit heavier every now and again and I love these guys. Plus I can play this on my bass.

And I think the Fun Lovin Criminals are super cool. I love Huey. Also, just look at the damn video. Its a hard life being a rock star.

• Like 1

I'll play this game. I'll try to keep the punk to the punk thread. No worries, I've got a bunch of other things.

Cop Shoot Cop is my new favorite band. I think they are really fucking good, their album Ask Questions Later is probably now in my all-time top ten. They remind me of Nomeansno with a bit of industrial thrown in. I've really been digging the 90s lately.

There is actually a bit of a music cultural thing in Denver, gothic country western something whatever. But anyway, it's really good, it's what I refer to if I say that I like country. The big scary guy with the cowboy hat is Jay Munly, great song writer, and was also part of Slim Cesna's Auto Club. Another spooky Denver band. 

For those of you that like things like Gogol Bordello and the Pogues, there is these guys except they do it with a Cajun flair rather than Irish/Gypsy.

One of the best of the modern thrash bands. Really cool right. You can hear a Motorhead influence in there, except fast. 

How about a classic? Yes. 

I got more later. 

Have some surf. 

So, I dunno, maybe I made the topic wrong I guess...I dunno...

Growing up, my mom was a HUGE fan of Billy Joel, so as I grew up I listened to a lot of his music.  Even during my "growing up" years in music, since I was 13 in 1994 when bands likes Offspring an Rancid grew in popularity and I became exposed to "punk" music...I've remained a fan of Billy Joel.  His music was catchy as fuck and, pretty much, it was as close to rock and roll came to at the time

On 20/09/2016 at 19:05, MDK said:

I've said it before in a different thread but The Lightning Seeds are brilliant. Ian Broadie has a knack for writing the perfect 3 minute pop song. And not to mention penning the unofficial English national anthem >_>

Make sure you tag me every time you mention The Lightning Seeds to receive an automatic like. They're the first band I ever got into, so, *LIKE*.

• Like 1

Is The Verve/Richard Ashcroft like Oasis? You either love them or hate them? 

And obviously Bittersweet Symphony, not just because its a good song but it was filmed in The Ends, right next to my college. REPRAZNT, MOFO.

7 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Fucking hell, that is one of the best covers of all time. Even little Bobby Smith said it was his favourite cover of his song.

I'd like to throw in this one. Its not often a comedy song is actually listenable after the first or second hearing, but I really like this one: