Music that is great

Lint

Rapper Ice-T's punk/metal band Bodycount doing Slayer

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DMN said:

Fucking love Body Count. They're actually one of the first hardcore bands, really. 

Guess that depends on your definition of "hardcore" really.  Body Count formed in 1990, but Minor Threat and Black Flag were called "hardcore" way before BC got together.  But I do agree, Body Count is fucking great.

Not too crazy about the updated version of Suicidal Tendencys "Institutionalized" but its still pretty good

• Like 1

After listening to that Raining Blood cover and then listening to the original I honestly never realized the lyric is "a lifeless object alive". I always thought it was "an inanimate object alive". Same for the "death will be their acquisition" line, never realized the word was "acquisition".

Also, Cop Killer 4ever.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, =BK= said:

My two favorite BC songs are pretty new ones.

29 minutes ago, ClouDOOM said:

After listening to that Raining Blood cover and then listening to the original I honestly never realized the lyric is "a lifeless object alive". I always thought it was "an inanimate object alive". Same for the "death will be their acquisition" line, never realized the word was "acquisition".

Also, Cop Killer 4ever.

When I was in high school, back when punk was at its mainstream in the mid 90s, I always thought "most rap sucks".  The exception was west coast rap.  That style of gangsta rap, Dre, Tupac, Snoop etc...I felt was closer to punk then Biggie and Jay-Z were.  It seemed to me at the time, and still now, that East coast rappers tended to rap about things like selling drugs, fucking etc...while West coast rappers were more about social injustice, police brutality...things that, as a punk fan, I felt more passionate about

9 hours ago, ClouDOOM said:

Also, Cop Killer 4ever.

8 hours ago, Lint said:

When I was in high school, back when punk was at its mainstream in the mid 90s, I always thought "most rap sucks".  The exception was west coast rap.  That style of gangsta rap, Dre, Tupac, Snoop etc...I felt was closer to punk then Biggie and Jay-Z were.  It seemed to me at the time, and still now, that East coast rappers tended to rap about things like selling drugs, fucking etc...while West coast rappers were more about social injustice, police brutality...things that, as a punk fan, I felt more passionate about

I've always thought it funny that everyone got all worried about Cop Killa as a rap song when it's clearly a hardcore track. Like, Body Count is very similar to Millions of Dead Cops. 

I think you may have something with the difference between east coast and west coast, particularly LA versus NYC, and I think it has to do with LA having a more overt history of racial struggle and conflict than NYC. Not that New York hasn't had those struggles, but Los Angeles is much younger, the Watts riots of the 60s influenced the first generation of Crips and Bloods (and their histories, beyond just 'gang' stuff, is kinda murky and not straight forward) which led to the first generation of 'gangsta' rappers, of which I'd definitely consider Ice T one, and his work has been socially conscious since the beginning. Then you have Rodney King and the famous Crip/Blood truce in 1992, so these issues were always on the forefront in Los Angeles that they weren't in NYC. 

Plus, if I may be so bold, the Los Angeles punk scene has always been more socially aware than the NYC scene. And better.

Edited by DMN
  • Like 1

I won't disagree there. LA punk is pretty nice.

Since we're still on the Body Count tip, I really like this video..

Yeah, I always liked the punk scene on the West Coast best. NY obviously had some of the original greats, but the hardcore scene was a bit too bro and bad ass for my tastes (minus Reagan Youth of course). 

I know LA/San Fran are sorta separate scenes but I lump them together because obviously bands from each area played together a lot. Think Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gang of Four, definitely great. 

For whatever reason, some post-punk stuff has taken me years to really appreciate. Not everything of course, there are plenty of bands I liked a lot but recently I've been finding myself listening to stuff like Gang of Four, The Fall, The Teardrop Explodes, Magazine, and the Monochrome Set.

It's really quite good stuff, all of it. I'm even finding some appreciation for the Smiths which is kind of funny because it was due to my 13 year old cousin. He was playing a playlist he listens to through Spotify on Thanksgiving (it was quite good) and then a song came on that I liked a lot. I asked him and he told me it was the Smiths, Barbarism Begins at Home. I really like that one. 

I’ve been on a Sabbath kick but also on a Sabbath covers kick lately and this is one of my favorites. 

This and Bruce Dickinson doing “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2018 at 02:11, =BK= said:

My two favorite BC songs are pretty new ones.

On 02/12/2018 at 19:57, Cloudo Miedo said:

I won't disagree there. LA punk is pretty nice.

Since we're still on the Body Count tip, I really like this video..

I always liked Body Count, but after seeing their newer shit, I fucking love Body Count

On 23/12/2018 at 09:08, VerbalPuke said:

Gang of Four, definitely great. 

For whatever reason, some post-punk stuff has taken me years to really appreciate. Not everything of course, there are plenty of bands I liked a lot but recently I've been finding myself listening to stuff like Gang of Four, The Fall, The Teardrop Explodes, Magazine, and the Monochrome Set.

It's really quite good stuff, all of it. I'm even finding some appreciation for the Smiths which is kind of funny because it was due to my 13 year old cousin. He was playing a playlist he listens to through Spotify on Thanksgiving (it was quite good) and then a song came on that I liked a lot. I asked him and he told me it was the Smiths, Barbarism Begins at Home. I really like that one. 

I learned about Gang of Four when I decided to go through Rolling Stone's '500 best albums of all time'. Great band.

I've also started to get into like, English beat stuff, or early ska? Started with Clash, then I started listening to the rest of Joe Strummer's work (which is varied and amazing), then into like, The Specials. The Specials are AMAZING. Lot's of Crass, too.

Also, and this is to my eternal shame, but I finally got around to getting into GG Allin, and man, I'm really into GG Allin. It speaks to me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DMN said:

I learned about Gang of Four when I decided to go through Rolling Stone's '500 best albums of all time'. Great band.

I've also started to get into like, English beat stuff, or early ska? Started with Clash, then I started listening to the rest of Joe Strummer's work (which is varied and amazing), then into like, The Specials. The Specials are AMAZING. Lot's of Crass, too.

Also, and this is to my eternal shame, but I finally got around to getting into GG Allin, and man, I'm really into GG Allin. It speaks to me.

I love that second wave ska stuff. I recommend the Selecter, Bad Manners, and The Redskins if you like the Specials and English Beat. 

And yeah, I still listen to GG. The early years with the Jabbers is really just good power pop. His later stuff isn’t for everybody,  but that goes without saying.

• Like 1

Also a big fan of two-tone. Good thing is a lot of those bands like the specials, bad manners and madness are still touring and all of them are good live. The specials were even playing with their original lineup minus the horn section just 4 years ago when I saw them. It was great! I know they changed their second guitarist and drummer since and a new album is coming this year. First new LP in over 15 years!

16 minutes ago, DMN said:

I love that second wave ska stuff. I recommend the Selecter, Bad Manners, and The Redskins if you like the Specials and English Beat. 

And yeah, I still listen to GG. The early years with the Jabbers is really just good power pop. His later stuff isn’t for everybody,  but that goes without saying.